!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America? Barry K Class  (Read 1185 times)

Offline maridunian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »

If your using the shredded wheat body then I would base it on the Barry Railway B class. But that's just my personal preference.

Rob.  :D

I see what you mean!

But I only have the dummy chassis for that, so am crawling forwards with the K....

Offline maridunian

• Awards
Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America?
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 12:12:10 PM »
Heavier weather now, marrying the GP body and USRA chassis. The motor sits tall, and although it fits under the roof, would lead to a very implausible coal heap in the bunker.

So much mulling led eventually sawing off the motor mounting horns and filing down the cab floor so the motor could lie horizontally.

I'll provisionally attach it with contact adhesive, then 'pad' the cab to hold it in position when the body's mounted.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:23:43 PM by maridunian »

Offline Jollybob

• N Gauge Society Number: 22210
  • WD fan in the heart of the GWR
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
Further hacking about, including rounding off the  boiler forward of the tanks and the firebox. Bunker extended a little and new cab sides added from 40thou plastic card.

Mike

Looks great so far, now I'm tempted to make one.
What did you do to change the firebox?

Rob.

Offline maridunian

• Awards
Re: Re: A (dog's?) Breakfast from America?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

What did you do to change the firebox?

Thanks Rob. I glued some scrap fillets of plastic into the angled corners inside the firebox.

Once cured, I gradually carved away the outside angle edges with a scalpel. Once it was roughly right, I filed it flush with the first boiler band, working from behind the cab (no front or back sheets at that stage.)

It's still about half a millimetre proud - haven't decided whether to take it down a fraction more, sacrificing then replacing the boiler band, but the cab's done now so will probably live with/camouflage that!

Mike
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:45:48 PM by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 01:13:45 PM »
So, another test fit of the chassis, with the motor lying horizontally.

The trailing pony truck is the lead one supplied with the USRA, with Farish spoked wagon wheels fitted. It has no coupler, and I anticipate problems with a buffer-beam mounted coupling on the tight curves of my layout, so am looking out for a truck that incorporates a coupler.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:15:01 PM by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 05:02:25 PM »
Working around the major components now, ensuring fit and tweaking what I can to best represent the Barry K 'Yankees'. Some simplification and reshaping of the cylinder blocks and slide rods:

You can just see some of the Miliput I've packed the boiler and forward tanks with. This needs shaping, along with the foot of the smoke box.

Next I'll finish the body off, whilst stripping down and cleaning all the chassis parts.

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 06:36:16 PM »
Some progress on the loco body:

Bottom of smoke box reshaped, along with Miliput under boiler. Footplate added from 20thou plasticard (will be reinforced below). New dome from N Brass Locos .

Onwards....

Mike

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
Well, my Barry 'Yankee' project inches forwards. Here's the latest test fitting :

Hopefully, it's beginning to look like one of the prototypes.

I replaced the forward foot plates with 20thou tinplate.

Stripping down and cleaning the chassis components revealed all 3 axle gears were split. I repaired these as best I could by cleaning thoroughly with surgical spirit, then applying Superglue to the cracks and holding them closed with pliers until set. Once fully cured, I drilled out the axle holes so as to be a less tight fit, and will presently Superglue the wheels' roughened stub-axles into the repaired gears. No idea how long that will last, and not exactly engineering, I know, but for a PE2SP* project, it will do me.

Mike

* Pig's Ear to Silk Purse
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:40:23 PM by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 07:07:23 PM »
Well, we're almost ready for the paintshop; safety valves from N Brass Locos join the already fitted dome. Steps from the spares box (J94, I think) plus some etch to represent the structure beneath the cab. Coal heap in the bunker mounded over the end of the motor, separated by a piece of scrunched foil from a wine bottle. Just the cab roof now, then primer.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:00:17 AM by maridunian »

Offline maridunian

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 04:21:12 PM »
First priming:

Lots more to do, but I feel the end is now within reach...

Mike

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything