!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol HST news  (Read 1931 times)

Offline robert shrives

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
Dapol HST news
« on: October 25, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
Hi
Rails of Sheffield have sent emails saying GWR and East coast  HST sets and coaches now available !

Robert   

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
Re: Dapol HST news
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:59 PM »
Anyone got an update on the Virgin East Coast HST release.

Ron

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 05:57:45 PM »
Email from Hattons today saying that the Virgin one is now delayed until May/June.

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 07:22:48 PM »
Was, I'm sure it was forecast for January/ Febuary release and here's me thinking timing would be perfect for Model Rail Scotland.

Well means I have longer to save now.

Ron

Offline Busybee

• N Gauge Society Number: 21769D
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 04:19:09 PM »
Anyone got update on the Virgin East Coast HST livery?

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
Hi I understand from a while back some "tooing and froing" over details - it is a complex livery and getting curves to cross body in the right place a bit of "fun." Also bodyside info quite complex and worth getting right - having poured over loads of photos.

Robert     

Offline Merrylee

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:18:28 PM »
Known our luck, theyíll charge more for it.

I see the other releases are now dropping in price.

Ron

Offline amerlyn

• Awards
Re: Dapol HST news - missing TS
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
Just received my Virgin East Coast HST. Lovely model and good that those of us mad enough to run a full length set donít have to wait for months to get the relevant carriages.....Well almost as they only make four Trailer Seconds whereas VTEC HSTs normally  run with five within a nine car set. Anyone know why?
Antony

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »
Hsts with 5 second class opens maybe something to do with operations and geographical distances and the need for an extra coach to work the skipton, bradford, hull corridor plus aberdeen inverness services though the scene has changed considerably what with vtec, grand central and shortened scottish sets. I used to see hsts in the 80s 90s with 5 standard, buffet and 2 first. How times change. Davidinyork and njee maybe able to answer the question

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 02:50:35 PM »
The additional coach taking the east coast sets up to 9 was added by GNER to all of theit sets. Once Virgin dispensed with HSTs on the cross-country route a load went into store and the extra TS for each set came from those (hence the need for conversions from loco-hauled Mk3s for Crosscountry, Grand Central and FGW when the stored sets were taken back into use - there weren't enough trailers for full-length sets)

GNER had originally been looking at using stored Mk3 sleepers and converting them to seated coaches as at the time no other Mk3s were available. A concept coach was done, but I believe there were issues with strength and posible body distortion as the sleepers were built slightly differently and the cabin partitions were structural - and these had to be partly removed for conversion to an open coach. Not sure whether this trial coach survives - it was stored at Wolverton for years.

Of the two ex-East Midlands Trains sets which VTEC had (and LNER now have), the first one was extended to 9-car formation using a spare coache which EMT had. The second one remains as an 8-car formation and normally runs with EMT-liveried power cars (these two power cars have actually been transferred to VTEC / LNER, but for some reason they've never reliveried them although the coaches have been done).

As regards Dapol's models, they only seem to have done 8-coach sets in all of the ECML liveries where there are actually 9 (GNER, East Coast and VTEC). I've not checked which one is missing, but I assume it's probably the TSD which has a modified window arrangement. They also missed that one out when hey did the 'Pretendolino' 9-car loco-hauled Mk3 set.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:54:00 PM by davidinyork »

Offline amerlyn

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 05:41:00 PM »
Thank you for these informative posts. Iíve gone to the extravagance of getting 2 duplicate TSs so all my HST are effectively tail chasers on my layout apart from the slightly shorter Grand Central set!

This release is very well done though and would recommend it.

Also, never realised the VTEC/LNER sets include a TSD  - Iím guessing it only differs from a TS in having an accessible toilet?

Thanks

Antony
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 10:30:29 AM by amerlyn »

Offline robert shrives

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 06:58:50 PM »
Hi
FWIW the 8 car set was taken from a TOPS report  when sets first looked at.  The sets do vary a bit it has to be said and shortly most will be history.
Having had discussions with forum members and others in the N hobby it proved reasonably easy to get Dapol MD Joel to agree to making smaller runs of trailers each with individual numbers  if I got set numbers. What has proved more difficult is to get folk to buy them !! Not only in a total sense but in an "orderly fashion"  as stocks of remaining trailers  are not equal..  ho hum - horse to water springs to mind.
GW stocks are guess all gone now as questions on internet are increasing but the East coast grey still widely available and being  reasonably bland make a good basis for repaints... go on you know you want to..

I am really hoping that the numbers stack up for a sliding door version.   

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 07:18:04 PM »
Would robert's idea of a sliding door version of an hst sell?

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 07:29:33 PM »
FWIW the 8 car set was taken from a TOPS report  when sets first looked at.  The sets do vary a bit it has to be said and shortly most will be history.

Apart from the one set ex-EMT they are all booked as 9-car sets with defined formations. There are several spare vehicles which get swapped in from time to time. If the set was 8 at the time, a vehicle must have been temporarily removed and won't have been for long. I've been using the east coast HSTs for years, and it's unusual to see them running with fewer than the normal 9 trailers.

Offline davidinyork

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 07:32:02 PM »
I am really hoping that the numbers stack up for a sliding door version.   

Have you been discussing it with Dapol?

There are three liveries at present (Scotrail, GWR and XC), two of which have already been done as slam-door models although the XC one was quite a while ago and they go for a lot now on ebay. Hornby are doing the sliding-door coaches in OO, but of course the market is bigger for that gauge.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal