!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: East Tyrone  (Read 392 times)

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
East Tyrone
« on: October 21, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
As this doesn't deal with constructing a new layout, I think this topic fits in the North American section, rather than "Layout Construction".

About 12 years ago, I constructed a portable layout called "East Tyrone" that was displayed at a couple of local events, before being laid to one side and put "into store". I consists of a visible area some 4 ft long, 1 ft deep that represents a pair of (PRR style) electrified lines at a lower level with a bi-directional freight line and the start of a yard at a slightly higher level. It is a totally ficticious location, set somewhere in the Philadelphia area, as I have a couple of kitbashed SEPTA style tramcars in the street at one end of the layout.
The rail tracks are set in a substantial cutting with a low relief urban setting at the top of the retaining walls. Hidden storage sidings are located on seperate boards at each end of the middle section.

I've decided to get it all up and running again, with some alterations - the main one reducing the two electrified lines to one, leaving a bi-directional line with adjacent disused trackbed.

Having now lifted the line in question and removed the overhead wire masts (and several other items to give it all a good clean...), I can now proceed with the "upgrade", so will post photos on here to record the changes.

A couple of views of the current state of the scenic section are shown below....

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: East Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 07:40:40 PM »
I really like the unconventional scenic treatment; certainly not a GWR Branch line!

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 05:18:28 PM »
Hi 70000.

Fantastic scene!!
I think you used the vertical space very effectively.
I'm lacking of those imagination ability so I can learn a lot from your layout.
Thank you very much for an inspiring work!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
After giving the layout a good clean, I've done some work over the past week to add the disused trackbed next to the singled lower level line, as well as "refreshing" some of the scenic items - particularly the scratchbuilt PRR style catenary gantries.

As three of the four gantries have not been refitted yet, it enables some clearer photos of parts of the display to be taken.

A close up of the built up area on the right hand end....

A wider view of the right hand end of the layout....

(The marks on the wall of the bridge will be covered up by one of the electric supply gantries)

The left hand end.......

A scratchbuilt signalling "bungallow" (rather overexposed by the camera flash!) and two signals have been added here. One of the overhead wire gantries can be seen (they are rather large) and I have taken the opportunity to replace the ancient Mehanotechnika Burlington diesel that formerly stood on a short train on the line overhead with a Lifelike switcher that expired terminally just after I had painted it into pseudo Amtrak colours!
The gantries were originally grey, but look much better in matt black.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
The left hand end.......

I have taken the opportunity to replace the ancient Mehanotechnika Burlington diesel that formerly stood on a short train on the line overhead with a Lifelike switcher that expired terminally just after I had painted it into pseudo Amtrak colours!

Hi 70000, What time frame does your layout represent? Depending on time frame (Pre-Conrail or Post Conrail) you could use locomotives from several different roads for the overhead line. Just to name a few, the Baltimore & Ohio or B&O, C&O or WM in Chessie System paint, the Reading Railroad and naturally Penn Central or Conrail. If early Conrail you could have fun with all the merger roads in existing or patch out paint schemes. Your layout captures the look of a big city concrete canyon, thank you for sharing your update photos.   
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 06:10:42 AM »

Hi 70000, What time frame does your layout represent? Depending on time frame (Pre-Conrail or Post Conrail) you could use locomotives from several different roads for the overhead line. Just to name a few, the Baltimore & Ohio or B&O, C&O or WM in Chessie System paint, the Reading Railroad and naturally Penn Central or Conrail. If early Conrail you could have fun with all the merger roads in existing or patch out paint schemes. Your layout captures the look of a big city concrete canyon, thank you for sharing your update photos.   

I built it with the intention of being able to run my more "modern" stock on it - roughly 1975 through to about 2005 - which didn't fit in too well on the other (non portable) layout.
Amtrak wise that covers Metroliners/F40's/E60/GG1/Genesis/HHP8 models, with Conrail/CSX/NS (and  the East Tyrone Railway, with "patched" ex CN Alcos!) on the freight side.
I can run a variety of older stock as well,off my "main" layout if it comes to it - mainly PRR, NH, B&O, SR and other "Eastern" roads.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
In case anyone wants to see the layout in real life, it will be attending the NGS World Wide Group Convention & AGM in deepest Felixstowe on 20th July 2019.
Strill got some work to do on it, but as I gave up working after yesterday, I should have a bit more time available to finish it off!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:06:10 PM by 70000 »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything