!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 10479 times)

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2019, 12:18:06 PM »
I have a copy of judge's power of the westerns good colour photos. Try library too or the net. Oxford publishing company

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2019, 12:27:21 PM »
Look forward to meeting your Western in the flesh at some point Alec  :D   They are one of my favourite British diesels,  I do fancy getting one for the British fleet.

I remember getting all excited back in the early 80s when Lima catalogues suggested they were going to do a Western in N, but it was only ever a photo mock-up of the OO model  (I have one of those!)   Let's face it, it would have been their rubbish mechanism anyway. 
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
… Let me know if you ever step out of a train in Kent and I'll meet you and buy you a pint!
Cheers!
Alec.

Super-duper, old thing.  A supremely spiffing wheeze.  As you know, I like few things more than a steamy mini-break, so I'll hopefully step out of a train at Tenderden or Hythe (although squeeze rather than step in the latter instance).  Finest foaming ale for me, please!
 :pint: :pint:

Chin-chin!

Tickety-tonk.

John

PS Glad the stuff about 'D1000's was helpful.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »
... I'll hopefully step out of a train at Tenderden or Hythe (although squeeze rather than step in the latter instance)

Ah yes, a proper railway!  Not far from Alec and I.  Fond memories of summers jobs on "The Romney" back in the late 70s & early 80s before adulthood and real work took over.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:10:36 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2019, 10:37:36 PM »
@Train Waiting , @ntpntpntp

Funny how the conversation turned towards the RH&DR as earlier today I took this photo.......

I didn't actually go to Dymchurch today but I was able to grab this photo as I'm a subscriber to Railcam.UK currently.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »
Funny how the conversation turned towards the RH&DR as earlier today I took this photo.......

Ah yes, Dymchurch was my main outpost back in the day, although I did work at the other stations on occasions, ran the model exhibition in New Romney, or travelled as a guard up and down the line.  Happy days!

Amazing the number of people who used to turn up at Dymchurch station and ask "Does it just go round the field?"  "Er no,  it runs for 26 miles and will take you 3 hours to do the round trip from here"  :D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:49:31 PM by ntpntpntp »

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
What a splendid picture Alec; thank you very much.  That looks like the mighty Samson at the other platform.  Maybe Nick will kindly correct me if this is a case of mistaken identity.
Many thanks for the anecdotes about the RH&DR, Nick.  You were indeed fortunate to have such a close encounter with this most fascinating of railways.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »
That looks like the mighty Samson at the other platform.  Maybe Nick will kindly correct me if this is a case of mistaken identity.

Can't really see enough to be sure, can't always trust the colours on photos and PC monitors but it seems to be dark blue (maybe darker than Hurricane?) so I'd say you're probably correct. Samson was always black in my days on the railway of course.  If there were enough showing to verify presence or absence of smoke deflectors that would have helped distinguish between the two blue beasts.

I think the main reason I allowed myself a Farish "Tornado" (despite running German stuff in N these days) is because it reminds me of the Romney locos  :D  I don't have anything resembling "Black Prince" though.

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2019, 04:32:56 PM »
My 411 saga

For the duration of my last two years at school I travelled daily from our curiously named local station “Bat & Ball”. I kid you not. Its the next stop up the line from Sevenoaks. Seven stops later I’d alight and take the bus the last mile to Bromley Grammar School. Very often the train would be a magnificent class 411 4CEP. Ok they were painted green in those days but as British Rail’s longest serving EMUs they managed 49 years of service with the last one withdrawn from traffic in 2005.
Early in 2017 when I was debating whether to make a return to the hobby I happened upon a picture of Graham Farish’s offering. I had to have one and scoured the country before meeting with success.

It was however a proverbial bag of nails and to cut a long story short, the retailer eventually gave me a complete refund. A month or two later I found a second hand unit. It failed around the time I was dismantling my old layout in preparation for the building of Saxon Street.
It has laid in in box unloved for absolutely yonks.

But now, drum roll ……………………..

Appearing from out of the mist …………

Here she is passing an undeveloped corner of my new layout. When I think “train” this is what my mind conjoures up. 411 in blue/grey. Simply spiffing!!

I am indebted to my buddy Nick @ntpntpntp for taking her to microscopic bits and fitting a brand new motor for me. Not doing things by halves she had also blown a decoder up. I really am hoping for a change of fortune with 411s. Fingers crossed.

I’ll leave you with a final picture of her approaching the sleepy branch line station Cotton Hill, to pick up a handful of passengers as she did for me in her green paint in 1964.

Alec.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2019, 04:37:39 PM »
Alec. Looking seriously good. Chris

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »
Thank you for these spiffing pictures, Alec.  The Southern and BR(S) EMUs are most certainly distinctive trains.  I'm glad that, thanks to Nick, you have a tickety-boo 4CEP.  Better for the good folk of Saxon Street to travel in than a 2NOL, especially after a few 'swift 'alfs'!

And... I've been to Bat & Ball!  Summer 1972.  Holiday in Dartford at Great Uncle Bill's place.  We went by train from Kilmarnock.  During the holiday, we travelled up to Town from Dartford on a few days to look at the 'sights'.  I was appointed Navigator Leader because of my interest in trains and there being three routes to Dartford.  One afternoon, it all went 'orribly wrong and we ended up on the wrong train.  Dad took charge at Bat & Ball and we bailed out and (eventually) got to Dartford.  Great Aunt Kath was very understanding about the state our dinner was in when we arrived at Windsor Drive.  Great Uncle Bill laughed.  He laughed a lot.  He had been an Ayrshire coal miner until the day the roof fell in. 

We even went to the Bluebell Railway by train, which involved a long walk.  I still have the tickets.  I was a 'Child'.  But the steam bug had infected me and, getting on for 50 years later, it still has!

Thank you for stirring this vivid memory.

Pip-pip.

J

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »

And... I've been to Bat & Ball!  Summer 1972.  Holiday in Dartford at Great Uncle Bill's place.  We went by train from Kilmarnock. 

John,
I'm so pleased on all sorts of levels with your reply. There can't be too many folk who've walked the platforms of Bat & Ball. Great Uncle Bill sounds just like the sort of chap I'd get along with.
Kilmarnock of course is a complete unknown to us southerners except for seeing it written on Littlewoods or Vernons pools coupons!

As for stirring vivid memories, isn't that a very important part of our hobby!? In 1964 the station master at Bat & Ball was a wonderful Irish fellow who everyone called Paddy. He took great pride in the station and during the winters without fail there would always be a roaring coal fire in the waiting room in the booking hall. Paddy would put his head around the door and advise us at the very last second to quickly dash over the footbridge to platform 2 for the up train. No standing in the cold for us.  :)

The picture is from 1962.

All the best.

Alec.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 09:32:56 PM by Invicta Alec »

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: June 26, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »
My 411 saga

For the duration of my last two years at school I travelled daily from our curiously named local station “Bat & Ball”. I kid you not.

Definitely not kidding, some time in 1991 I left the UK by train and ferry (never to return apart from short visits, though I didn't know it at the time) and part of the journey involved one of those self-propelling rakes of Mk1 stock the Southern Region seems so fond of running between Victoria and a cavernous shed next to the ferries at Dover, and I was bemused to see "Bat & Ball" fly past on a station sign, and for years afterwards I occasionally wondered whether my mind had been playing tricks on me.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: June 26, 2019, 06:34:51 PM »
My 411 saga

For the duration of my last two years at school I travelled daily from our curiously named local station “Bat & Ball”. I kid you not.

Definitely not kidding, some time in 1991 I left the UK by train and ferry (never to return apart from short visits, though I didn't know it at the time) and part of the journey involved one of those self-propelling rakes of Mk1 stock the Southern Region seems so fond of running between Victoria and a cavernous shed next to the ferries at Dover, and I was bemused to see "Bat & Ball" fly past on a station sign, and for years afterwards I occasionally wondered whether my mind had been playing tricks on me.

Hahaha.....thank you for your post @railsquid . Here's a lovely photo from Disused Stations dot org of the aforementioned cavernous shed aka Dover Marine/Western Docks giving shelter to a self propelling rake of Mark 1s  :) aka class 411. Taken just three years earlier than your UK exit.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/d/dover_western_docks/index19.shtml

The first time I saw "Bat & Ball" on the station totem I laughed out loud. We were young lads taking the train for a days fishing. Never dreamt I'd end up living nearby and it would become my home station.

Alec.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:36:30 PM by Invicta Alec »

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »
Delaying tactics

In the time honoured fashion of the very best procrastinators yours truly has been dragging his heels in a desperate attempt to avoid some pretty scary scenery that really MUST be done soon.

I bought an impossibly cheap (£15'ish) micro digital video recorder from some Chinese gentlemen who were purveying their wares on a well known interweb site. I did it with the very best of intentions. I thought it might be nice for all my N scale chums to have a little worms eye view of Saxon Street and surroundings.

Those of you who are eagle eyed enough will notice a gap in the video from when my little Dapol class 22 rolls into platform 3 at Farningham Central and its exit 0.003 of a second later. Now I could lie about it and claim it was just an edit, but in truth the little camera which was only balanced on one of the trucks got knocked off by the platform canopy :-[

I had the train terminate at platform 2 at Saxon Street since doing a complete lap of the layout would involve going through the tunnel which isn't wide enough at one end for the camera anyway.  :worried:

Anyway, I thought it would be a bit of fun. £15 is about what its worth quality wise IMO.

Yes, I'm also aware that my 121 bubble car has a broken exhaust!

Alec.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here