!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 9666 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2019, 10:33:27 PM »
HI these 1970s semis from Kingsway LOOK professional

were they easy to construct ?

Yes, easy to build but I'd say two things to bear in mind.....

1. The main reason for them being cheap is that the pieces are not pre-cut. The kits will make up well enough provided you cut out accurately.
2. Be prepared to stiffen up the garage fronts with some extra card as they are printed on a very thin sheet.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2019, 10:42:34 PM »
ok thank you,something for me to bear in mind.they looked very retro and something different actually based on london properties.thank you for mentioning these in the first place

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: June 05, 2019, 08:55:04 AM »
By the look of those, you could be driving down through Golden Valley to Sandgate :D  (meaningful to us locals)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2019, 09:17:40 PM »
They look really good Alec.

Seconded.  Well worth all that additional work.

Just needs a Vauxhall 'Viva' in one of the driveways!

Thank you John.
I agree with you entirely, a nice HB or HC Viva would be an exact match for these. I spent the remainder of the afternoon drawing coloured pencil lines marking out the proposed lawns and driveway areas. Can't come up with a Viva but I've got a couple of Mark III Cortinas  :)

:beers: Cheers old fruit!

Alec.

Wotcher Alec,

On second thoughts I think you need something much better than a Viva or Cortina (I had both and they were well dodgy motors) for the driveway of one of your spiffing houses.  Perhaps the house that you have allocated to your 1:148 self.

How about a roller?

There's something a bit familiar about the front of that roller... I can't quite think what it is!

Toodle-oo.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
Hi Alec just discovered your thread.

Lookin right proper mate. Sterlin job guv.  :thumbsup:

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2019, 11:12:36 PM »
Hi Alec just discovered your thread.

Lookin right proper mate. Sterlin job guv.  :thumbsup:

Thanks me old mucker.
Welcome to my Saxon Street thread Keith.
I'm having a lot of fun (and spending a lot of money) in the making of this Rule No.1 layout.

There are some splendid fellows who regularly comment and add to the feeling of camaraderie of this forum. All hints and tips gratefully received.

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2019, 11:28:36 PM »

@Train Waiting

A fine specimen indeed John! That splendid Invicta motif looks like its been polished especially for the day. If I'm not mistaken she's a long way from home, Derby number plate I think.
I could have done with her down here in Kent today as the lawns and driveways to the house fronts needed flattening.
My foreman Willy Eckerslike and his crew finished in the fading light leaving me no time to take any photos. Fear not, I'll be up with the larks tomorrow. Watch this space!

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: June 07, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
Many thanks, Alec.  Yes, a fair distance from Kent.  Toddington on the GWSR.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
All quiet on the Western front?

Good afternoon fellow nostalgia modelling virtuosos.

There has been much excitement down at Saxon Street these last 24 hours. An absolutely corking new locomotive has just arrived and Iím in need of suggestions from my valued colleagues. As you can see from the photos Iíve taken the plunge and treated myself to a class 52, otherwise known as a Western. Had my eyes on one of these for ages for no other reason that it looks simply spiffing. I won her in an auction at a penny pinching price and she appears to be virtually unused. I stuck one of those well regarded Zimo decoders in her, a drip of oil and off she took for a one hour running in session. Its a treat to watch her at speed step 1 of 128. Its difficult to see that she is actually moving and all the while with not a hint of a jitter. Fingers crossed that it continues that way.

Isnít she just beautiful?

Iím hoping for suggestions, particularly from you GWR experts as to what coaches will look grand being pulled along by her. Reading up on class 52 history, my thoughts currently are chocolate and cream mark 1ís? What do you think?

The 1970ís row of semis have just had their front gardens laid to lawn and the fencing contractor has almost finished enclosing their rear gardens with panel fences.  That rascally fellow Willie Eckerslike has just moved into No.2 showing off his shiny new Cortina mark III. To the neighbours dismay heís fitted it with a cucaracha horn. There will be trouble if he starts blasting out in the wee small hours.

Just a little way down the road are the Upper Crust mansions. Just a little detailing to finish on the roofs and I intend to set them back from the station opposite, separating them with a grassed/tree lined area. This is the second of the Kingsways models I purchased recently. Like the first ones (the semis) I felt little reinforcements were needed here and there. The instructions are sketchy which could lead to mistakes and are not on the same quality level as Metcalfe card kits for example. The important thing though is the finished appearance. Iím undecided whether to retain this building or not.

Happy modelling chaps.

Alec.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »

Iím hoping for suggestions, particularly from you GWR experts as to what coaches will look grand being pulled along by her. Reading up on class 52 history, my thoughts currently are chocolate and cream mark 1ís? What do you think?

Not entirely sure of my facts but I believe maroon with small yellow panels were introduced in 1962 by which time I reckon the Choc & Cream livery had gone apart from maybe a rake kept for specials :hmmm:
I like mine with a rake of MK1s in maroon :)

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »
for me a rake of matching maroon mk1s

and i agree with mick !! maybe an odd blue / grey mk 1 maybe stretching rule !

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »
Blimey!  The last thing the people at Nos. 1 and 3 want is that blooming Cortina next door!

With regard to the 'D1000', chocolate and cream coaches were getting rarer by the time of this locomotive being in service.  When Stanley Raymond went to the Western, he was instrumental in the deliberate splitting up of the sets of chocolate and cream coaches that were used on the crack trains.  I think BR maroon carriages would be just the thing, with blue and grey fast appearing from 1966.

Great photographs; thank you.

Best wishes.

John

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »

.........maroon carriages would be just the thing, with blue and grey fast appearing from 1966.

Thanks John.
Further investigation reveals that D1065 Western Consort was delivered into service this very day in 1963 and scrapped in August 1977. That being the case, I wouldn't be wrong in running mark 1s in either of the liveries you've suggested? Or even a mixture of both !?

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2019, 08:15:11 AM »
You certainly would not be wrong, Alec; you'd be spot-on.  Here's some evidence of 'D1000' locomotives in this livery with trains of different colours:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8f/91/38/8f9138f5d38d07792fcdf2ffb9a26e17--british-rail-diesel.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3e/ab/a8/3eaba81e3da7370581e30e5b2ffc1d67--diesel-locomotive-train-art.jpg

Mixed maroon and blue/grey formations were very common in the 1966/1969 period.  By the time a young me was taking an interest in trains in 1970; maroon carriages were very unusual in my part of the world (SW Scotland).

I might add to this reply if I find more of interest.

I did:

https://railphotoprints.uk/p274090425/h35A67AA9#h35a67aa9

I also had a rummage in the library and it appears that D1065 went straight from your livery into blue with full yellow ends in July, 1967.  That was a time of many mixed formation trains. 

Best wishes.

John

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:36:06 AM by Train Waiting »

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2019, 12:07:06 PM »
@Train Waiting ,

John, my dear fellow, I am so grateful to you for the links you provided in your last post. What a fantastic resource is the Rail Photoprints site. To see an actual photo of loco D1065 and what she's hauling settles all arguments.

I went on to checkout my all time favourite train the class 411 and was thrilled to find some splendid examples in various liveries and what's more, some taken in my home county. A 411 at the old Dover Marine station a highlight!

Thank you once again. Let me know if you ever step out of a train in Kent and I'll meet you and buy you a pint!

Cheers!

Alec.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:08:23 PM by Invicta Alec »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations