!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 17193 times)

Online Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2020, 06:12:17 PM »
I know this is extra expense but my wife has one of those fancy craft-cutter thingys that i intend “borrowing” for this sortof thing, is that someting you could consider for accurate cuts?

Grumbeast,
I believe you are talking about the Silhouette machines. You might want to check out @Innovationgame Laurence's layout thread Marton Hinmarche. He's just got a machine and is experimenting with it.
A lady member of my local walking group has got one for her craft creations and is going to make me an example sheet of cuts so I can see how accurate it is. A lot of money to invest, so careful assessment needed.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2020, 06:16:34 PM »
Why not distress the model with algae effects, mosses, peeled paintwork, cracked and broken windows, grasses and weeds growing at the base of the walls and on the roof, then it will make a perfect long-closed branch station.
 :hmmm:

Good ideas Daffy. When I first started this layout I did have it in mind to have a distressed building somewhere but I've no place left now where it would make sense.

Alec.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2020, 07:47:41 PM »
The building looks fine to me.  It's not my era, of course, but any imperfections are not visible to an outsider.  Even with a Silhouette machine, some of the corners of the windows don't finish up exactly square.  If you're not happy with it as it is, perhaps a little touching up with a scalpel miight do the trick.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #378 on: March 18, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
 :hellosign:
     I would be very sorry to see Saxon St go in to the was bin, but I understand totally how you feel   :(
      regards Derek.
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2020, 02:07:20 PM »
Model shop tip

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions re: the demise of the replacement station building. I've plonked the original Metcalfe model back in its place and I've also extended the canopy across the way on the island platforms 2/3. Looks OK I think.

Our friendly postwoman dropped a parcel off today and complying with new rules put the parcel on the doorstep. I gave her time to step back a couple of metres before opening the door. Posties will not now hand you the gizmo to sign but instead fill in your name for you.
Standing on platform 2 at Saxon Street is the contents of aforesaid parcel. Its a class 142 (a.k.a. Pacer).

This train has never run down here in third rail Kent but just a week or two back our local heritage line the East Kent Railway bought one and will eventually be offering driver experience days with it. I intend to sign up for one. They've obtained one in Northern Rail livery and one of the volunteers there tells me the livery will remain as is, at least in the short to medium term.

I decided to buy a 1/148 copy for my layout. I searched high and low on the internet all on-line box shifters and model shops who have transactional web sites. There are not many to be had and none of those were in the required livery. Undeterred I put a "Want" ad on the Facebook pages of N'Porium. One fellow contacted me and suggested a model shop (Footplate) in Kidderminster saying "ask them to check the display cabinet, as I'm sure I saw one in there recently". I had earlier checked the web site of this retailer and it suggested stock of only one unit in the wrong livery. A phone call however to the very friendly owner produced the desired result. "I'll go and have a look" he said. "Yep, got that one" he said, upon his return.
It occurs to me that the independent local model shop may not always have the time to keep their website up to date. I know that Jane's Trains in south west London only update their list of pre-owned locos about once a month. Some bricks and mortar shops just have a token website that gives you a phone number, their opening hours and very little else.

Anyway, here is a picture of the model of a train that I hope to drive at some point.

Alec.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2020, 02:10:33 PM »
If you're not happy with it as it is, perhaps a little touching up with a scalpel might do the trick.

I seem to recall they were the last words I heard my heart consultant say! :laugh:

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #381 on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:00 PM »
Hive of activity

In recent times I've scratch built a signal box but was uncertain whether to add a wide flat roof, fearing that it'd look a bit too much like a pagoda!
See reply #355 for the original building I was using for inspiration and my attempt at a copy.
I've stuck a wide roof on now and I think it does look better. It now lives in its permanent place, complete with signalmen's car park.

The Crown public house (formerly the Crown and Anchor)

The Queen Vic pub was pretty full it being a Friday night.
"Well I think its marvellous" said Captain Arthur Bodleigh (R.N. Rtd.)
"What exactly?" asked Willie Eckerslike.
"The way they've completly restored the pub by the central station. It looks great" said Arthur having to raise his voice over the hubbub.
"Yeah my mate Ivor Naylor has been doing a lot of the internal carpentry" answered Willie.
Jimmy the Chiseler butted in on the conversation. "Ivor told me they'd be finished in a fortnight".
"Apparently they've only got to tarmac the car park and tidy up the grass area, and they are done".
"I for one can't wait to transfer my custom away from this dump" said Jimmy loudly enough for his words to fall on landlady Annie Walker's ears.

There was no love lost between these two and indeed Annie flew into her customary rage.
 "I've had just about enough of you. You're barred with immediate effect."
It seemed everyone in the place stopped talking at once. You could have heard a pin drop.
"See if I care, you old bat" said Jimmy making his way to the door of the almost silent saloon bar.
"Out you go and by the way, say hello to the landlady at The Crown for me" Annie said triumphantly.
"Her name is Agnes Grimshaw, she's my sister-in-law".

Penultimate lap?

I began this saxon Street thread in October 2018. Now roughly a year and a half later I've become aware that I'm on the home straight.
The dark green painted areas will be grassed over and the only white bit of foam board still left showing will become the car park for the Crown pub.
Now of course there is a ton of detailing to do and I suppose that could go on for as long as you want it to. Detailing list off the top of my head.......
Need to painstakingly paint loads of microscopic N scale people.
Road markings
Another zebra crossing (with Belisha beacons)
Traffic lights
Dozens of yards of thin Kato ballast to disguise the join between the Kato track shoulder and the scenery.
I've got no letterboxes, telephone boxes or lamp posts.

None of the detailing is urgent of course and I can sit and run trains to my heart's content.
Getting to the absolute end of making a layout must be a nightmare for those who've managed it.
Surely its a bit like a jigsaw puzzle in that once the last piece is in place then what happens?
Do you simply leave it on the table for a while then all of a sudden break it up and put it back in its box?

Alec.

Online Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #382 on: March 30, 2020, 04:02:17 PM »
Hi Alec ( @Invicta Alec )

Very neat modelling - love it.  The signal box looks great.

As for your model shop tip - I have found this to be the case on a number of occasions as well.  Another establishment worth trying is East Somerset Models on the East Somerset Railway.

Thought for a long time that our hobby needs a site called “My Layout Needs A.com” where customers can post their wants.  Retailers could then match wants to stock.  With batch manufacturing and ever increasing costs there will be people who need a service like this.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #383 on: March 30, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »
That looks really good Alec and, of course, the narrative helps to bring things to life.
As for detailing, that can take ages. One thing I’ve been guilty of in the past is over doing the detail ending up with things looking too crowded.
 I think sometimes it’s a case of less is best maybe adding a few little cameo scenes for interest.
The whole thing does look extremely good though, you should be very proud of it.
Good luck with painting the little people.
Best Regards
Martin

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:05:43 PM by port perran »
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2020, 04:11:40 PM »
Hi Alec ( @Invicta Alec )

Very neat modelling - love it.  The signal box looks great.

As for your model shop tip - I have found this to be the case on a number of occasions as well.  Another establishment worth trying is East Somerset Models on the East Somerset Railway.

Thought for a long time that our hobby needs a site called “My Layout Needs A.com” where customers can post their wants.  Retailers could then match wants to stock.  With batch manufacturing and ever increasing costs there will be people who need a service like this.

Kind regards

Paddy

I’d second giving East Somerset Models a try.
I often (well not at the moment) travel up to Wiltshire from Cornwall to visit family.
I pass right by East Somerset models at Cranmore and try to pop in. The shop itself is a large shipping container and is a bit like a tardis in that it’s amazing what they’ve packed in.
Plenty of N scale stuff too and often stuff (inc locos, stock and scenic stuff) thatyou might not see elsewhere.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #385 on: March 30, 2020, 04:13:27 PM »
Realistic townscape. I second martin. For zebra crossing, belisha beacons, post box try north western models. Phone box  post box try kernow scenecraft range
 I used a dab of white humbrol paint for road markings

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
One thing I’ve been guilty of in the past is over doing the detail ending up with things looking too crowded.

Martin

Martin, absolutely agree. I was looking at someones layout this morning and it was obvious that the guy was a far more capable modeller than me BUT I didn't really like the overall effect of what he'd done. It was simply too much, overcrowded almost to the extreme. Less is definitely more sometimes. @Train Waiting Poppingham layout is a good example of that.

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2020, 04:46:33 PM »
Thank you for these splendid pictures, Alec.  The signalbox and 'The Crown' look absolutely excellent.

Your whole layout is wonderful and I'm in awe of the overall tidiness.  I don't know if a layout is ever finished.  Things can be added and changed and generally fiddled with.  And, if you are @port perran you simply start another amazing layout!

With Poppingham, I appear to be at the stage when I'm now building a model village and playing trains - mostly the latter, of course.  I have to admit that I'm having 'next layout' thoughts now and again.

One thing's for sure; Saxon Street is one of my favourite layouts - modern EMUs and all!

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #388 on: March 30, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »

One thing's for sure; Saxon Street is one of my favourite layouts - modern EMUs and all!

Thank you kind sir for your encouragement. I might just take a day or two off from all this frantic building lark and have an emu / dmu gala day!  :)

Alec.

Online crewearpley40

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #389 on: March 30, 2020, 06:32:10 PM »
I just love the townscape scenery. The block of flats which look real, the semis,the red star parcels depot. Blends in well

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal