!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 12135 times)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #300 on: December 07, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
Yep, looks good to me too.  :thumbsup:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2019, 09:49:44 AM »
Typical of old streets many of us would have walked down when we were kids. I had the idea though that the other end of the layout would be a little more modern.
More of a 1980s (give or take) feel.

Speaking in my official capacity of a child of the mid 70s ~ mid 80s (I have Official Government Documentation to prove this), it puts me very much in mind of the "Provincial Concrete Brutalist" school of architecture which probably looked modern and cutting-edge on the architect's brochure in the late 1960s or 1970s but which aged incredibly badly and were the perfect accompaniment for a dreary wet provincial Saturday poking around the town centre, reading the magazines in WH Smiths and programming the home computers in Dixons in 8-bit BASIC to print rude words in a loop (bonus points for making the program uninterruptible other than by pulling the power plug, much to the annoyance of the spotty shop assistant). Then we met up in the Tesco cafe at the pre-arranged time with the parents for lemonade and jam doughnuts. Oh those were the days.

However my inner pedant urges me to point out that "TESCO Express" is very probably a 1990s thing, having exited the country on a ferry in 1991 it joins a list of post-1991 things which still seem a bit strange to me, like the National Lottery, "Greggs", "Wetherspoons", "Strictly Come Dancing", "Channel 5" etcetera.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: December 07, 2019, 11:44:13 AM »
I cannot even begin to think how better to describe it more eloquently than the goodly gentleman above. But how very true! Broadmead in Bristol (the City of my Genesis) was so very much like that. Must have been a post-war regeneration scheme when WW2 had proved that concrete was the answer to everything and only Barnes Wallis stood any chance of doing anything about it.

Saturday afternoons in Broadmead. They were the days.

The car park is brilliant!  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #303 on: December 07, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »

....... the "Provincial Concrete Brutalist" school of architecture which probably looked modern and cutting-edge on the architect's brochure in the late 1960s or 1970s but which aged incredibly badly and were the perfect accompaniment for a dreary wet provincial Saturday poking around the town centre, reading the magazines in WH Smiths and programming the home computers in Dixons in 8-bit BASIC to print rude words in a loop

Yep agreed! Towards the end of the 60s yours truly was at building college and the stuff we were designing looked great on our drawings but as ugly as sin in reality.

10 cls
15 ink 5 paper 0
20 for x=1 to 10
30 print "Aint I clever hahahaha"
40 next x
50 wait 3
60 goto 10

However my inner pedant urges me to point out that "TESCO Express" is very probably a 1990s thing....

I'm sure you are absolutely right!  :)  Rule one at Saxon Street doesn't only cover the trains. Nothing is safe, buildings, cars, buses and lorries, advertising posters, road markings  :)

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #304 on: December 13, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
Still shaking the bush boss!

Hello fellow modelling chaps. I just thought I'd check in to assure everybody that work still continues apace at Saxon Street. Just lately I've been tidying up and finishing those little details that will continue to nag until they are done!
I've been laying a few yards of roads in an effort to visualise just how the remaining empty areas of the layout can be ultimately finished off. Nothing worthy of photographing I'm afraid at the moment.

However this does give me the opportunity to wish all you N gauge enthusiasts a very Merry Christmas and to thank everyone for their support and comradeship.

Alec.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #305 on: December 13, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »
 :hellosign:
   Merry Christmas to you and yours Alec, looking forward to more soon
           regards Derek.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2019, 07:48:30 PM »
So who likes Westerns?

A couple of months back I treated myself to a Dapol Class 52 i.e. a "Western". Initially it ran unbelievably well. It could move almost imperceptibly slowly and thus gave the smoothest of starts and stops. I had chosen the maroon livery with small yellow ends and it looked a million dollars.

Sadly it didn't last long though. It started to run poorly quite soon. After a few days it stopped abruptly with a worrying wisp of smoke!  :o

I'm very lucky to have Nick as a friend. Known on the forum as @ntpntpntp he is amongst the most experienced of members. I had left the Western with him to investigate, fearing the worst. He messaged me very soon after saying "Western sorted".
If you study this photo you can see a tiny bit of solder effectively bridging across a couple of the terminals. I wouldn't have spotted it in a million years. It took Nick a few minutes to discover and correct.

I'm absolutely chuffed to have this lovely loco running again. Forgive the fading light and the one candlepower hand held video but here she is doing a lap of my Saxon Street layout.

Thanks Nick.

Alec.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #307 on: December 14, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »
I have yet to run my Western so you're excellent post may rescue me if I have the same issue. Thank you.

Video is wonderful. Layout looks brilliant! :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: December 15, 2019, 09:29:53 AM »
You can never have too many hydraulics :no: :D

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: December 15, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »
Many thanks for that fabulous film, Alec.

Saxon Street and its environs are a triumph of tidiness.  So supremely spick 'n' span!

That was a very good job Nick @ntpntpntp . Funnily enough, I had a similar situation with a Dapol diesel which I was hoping to use on the Table-Top Railway Mark III.  It was running around nicely when, suddenly, it stopped.  I turned off the controller as quick as I could - maybe about three or four seconds later.  By then there was smoke issuing from the locomotive and a horrid smell.  It was also warm to touch.  Hmm, I thought, this is taking prototypical accuracy a bit too far.  It was a NBL 'Type 2' diesel-hydraulic; a class that had a reputation for failures and was quickly withdrawn from service by BR.

Anyway, it went off to DCC Supplies in Worcestershire and came back about a fortnight later, running nicely.  Barely turned a wheel since, though.

I bought four diesels for this layout; one Dapol and three Graham Farish.  Only one did not have to go back - the Graham Farish 'Deltic'.  The layout has been dismantled and Poppy has taken to sleeping on top of the four diesels.  Poppingham has a diesel ban in force (apart for GWR railcars) due the current weather conditions.  It's steam supreme!

Which brings me to this:

I'm absolutely chuffed to have this lovely loco running again.

'Absolutely chuffed' is the normal state of affairs with a steam locomotive, Alec.  About the only way you could improve this marvellous layout would be by introducing regular steam services!

With all best wishes.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #310 on: December 15, 2019, 09:52:01 AM »

I'm absolutely chuffed to have this lovely loco running again.

'Absolutely chuffed' is the normal state of affairs with a steam locomotive, Alec.  About the only way you could improve this marvellous layout would be by introducing regular steam services!

Hehe - Alec was rather taken with a little Dapol prairie tank in BR lined green that I dug out.  Generally I've not been overly impressed with the running qualities of the Dapol steamers I've acquired, but on this occasion it did run quite nicely round my little test oval - as did a 14xx. 

He also discovered first-hand the weightiness of my UM B12 as we discussed tender drives etc. and compared it to the good old Peco Jubilee.

I do enjoy digging out my crate of British N stuff,even if just to stir the mechanisms once a year or so.  Discovered my Farish classs 20 diesel has developed classic split-gear syndrome while in storage so will need to sort that out at some point. Give me brass gears any day!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: December 15, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
John @Train Waiting even as I wrote it, the irony of putting "absolutely chuffed" was not lost on me.  :) I did consider using another phrase but "absolutely dieseled" for example wouldn't have cut the mustard so to speak!  ;D

Borrowing your phrase "prototypical accuracy" while a class 52 hauling chocolate and cream coaches was possible from a date point of view as I understand it maroon or blue/grey was much more common. Maybe I'll grab some maroons at some point but the chocolate and creams will not go to waste. Nick @ntpntpntp and I spent an enjoyable hour or so rummaging through his crate of British N gauge and this has helped me to focus on a possible steam loco for Saxon Street.

Its interesting John that Poppy likes to sleep on your diesels because one of Nick's cats decided to join in the fun and laid across the test track for about ten minutes. At one point we had to actually reverse a locomotive because the cat was sure as hell not going to move!

For the first time I was able to see first hand a Union Mills chugging around. A B12 so I'm informed. I can appreciate their ruggedness and can see why you are a fan of them.
I was most impressed with Nick's little prairie tank and mentioned that I'd seen Farish have a 64xx pannier due out soon. I've since discovered that Dapol offer a very similar 57xx. Would either of these be a correct choice to haul the chocolate and creams?

Alec.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2019, 01:33:57 PM »
To jump in , panniers were generally shunting or branch line locomotives.
Are your chocolate and cream carriages gangwayed or suburban stock?
It would have been unusual to see a pannier at the head of chocolate and cream mainline stock unless during operations. They were occasionally seen on main line expresses (with express headcodes) but that was a rarity.
As for dapol v farish. I feel that the farish 64xx is a superior model.
Nothing wrong with the Dapol ones (I have three) but they generally appear to be more flimsy and more prone to problems.
Hope that helps
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2019, 01:39:50 PM »
... one of Nick's cats decided to join in the fun and laid across the test track for about ten minutes. At one point we had to actually reverse a locomotive because the cat was sure as hell not going to move!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2019, 02:01:09 PM »
Funnily enough, I had a similar situation with a Dapol diesel which I was hoping to use on the Table-Top Railway Mark III.  It was running around nicely when, suddenly, it stopped.  I turned off the controller as quick as I could - maybe about three or four seconds later.  By then there was smoke issuing from the locomotive and a horrid smell.  It was also warm to touch.  Hmm, I thought, this is taking prototypical accuracy a bit too far.  It was a NBL 'Type 2' diesel-hydraulic; a class that had a reputation for failures and was quickly withdrawn from service by BR.

Anyway, it went off to DCC Supplies in Worcestershire and came back about a fortnight later, running nicely.  Barely turned a wheel since, though.

I had two Dapol diesels, bought new, both of which suffered a premature escape of the smoke which is presumably held at high pressure in one of the electrickery bits, one accompanied by an alarming flash and bang. One went back for exchange, the other had a rather expensive trip to DCC Supplies, which is where a time machine would come in handy as I lived within cycling distance of them once (albeit probably before DCC was a thing).

Various other Dapol diesels have suffered lighting failures, which I believe are repairable once sufficient round tuits are acquired. Ironically the most reliable Dapol diesels I have were all acquired second-hand.

Lovely models though. Encouragingly the new Class 50 (and I believe one or two other models) has an entirely new mechanism which hopefully will have engineered out these issues.

I do enjoy digging out my crate of British N stuff,even if just to stir the mechanisms once a year or so.  Discovered my Farish classs 20 diesel has developed classic split-gear syndrome while in storage so will need to sort that out at some point. Give me brass gears any day!

I'd be happy if Bachmann would acquire a bunch of Kato powered units and work out what kind of plastic they use in the gears, as I have a wide variety of Kato stock, much of it second hand covering a period from the mid 1980s to the present, and nary a split gear. Much the same goes for Tomix.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
142% 
January Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal