!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
Does the Easy-Shunt work with the Microtrains coupling - I think you borrowed that test wagon also?

Nick,

I fitted an Easy shunt to your other wagon at the end of the rake so that I can just run the 22 round, couple up and proceed in opposite direction. Its a nice little operation to finish with at the end of a session so that the 22 pushes the wagons back into the yard.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
I seem to recall putting a dab of superglue on one end of the spring and using a cocktail stick to fix it can avoid the carpet muncher being fed a diet of those springs :hmmm:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2019, 04:47:48 PM »
That's all working rather nicely, Alec.  And a good film as well; thank you.

For your era and location a BRCW 'Type 3' (Class 33) would be absolutely ideal.  They did a lot of freight and engineer's work and some passenger as well.  If I recall correctly, they could be driven from either side of the cab!  (Maybe my memory is playing tricks.)

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: August 04, 2019, 05:22:53 PM »

For your era and location a BRCW 'Type 3' (Class 33) would be absolutely ideal. 

Yes John, I totally agree, thank you. A very probable future purchase.

Alec.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »
Does the Easy-Shunt work with the Microtrains coupling - I think you borrowed that test wagon also?

Nick,

I fitted an Easy shunt to your other wagon at the end of the rake so that I can just run the 22 round, couple up and proceed in opposite direction. Its a nice little operation to finish with at the end of a session so that the 22 pushes the wagons back into the yard.

Alec.

Yeah but I also have a wagon with a Microtrains buckeye at one end and a Rapido on the other end: did you borrow that one too, I can't remember? Just curious to know whether Microtrains buckeyes will couple to Easy-shunt, if so will they auto-uncouple? Purely in the interests of knowledge, I have no intention of adopting either coupling.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: August 04, 2019, 05:44:46 PM »
Type 3 class 33 would be suitable alec

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: September 29, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »
The splat revisited.

Hello fellow railway modelling chaps. Its been a while since my last communication and as I remember I chuntered on about fitting Dapol magnetic couplings to a couple of my locos.
I had borrowed some wagons from my good mate @ntpntpntp as I had nothing with the required NEM pockets. Anyway, I've bought some of my own now and here is a photo of one of them.
Its a common or garden Farish brake wagon. I've included it mainly so that you can see its a reasonable photo. (Zoom in a way and you can read some fine lettering on it and the following wagon).

All of which proves that my venerable Canon D450 DSLR is a capable bit of kit. 

Shot 1/60 sec. f/5 44mm ISO 400

This leads me on neatly (?) to the splat.  I've attempted to make it look authentic by scattering a little mix of colours and a few scraggy trees.

Shot: 1/60 sec. f/5 44mm ISO 400

I used the same settings for the photo as on the brake van one. I wanted however, to show a bit more depth of field (least I think that's what its called) and made the mistake of reading the manual!
I played around for ages and these two are the BEST of what I managed.

Shot: 1 sec f/16 20mm ISO 800

Shot: 2/5 sec. f/8 18mm ISO 800

If any of you camera experts would care to comment, that would be great. If not I'll just leave the dial on "Auto" .

Alec.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: September 29, 2019, 06:58:06 PM »
Very nice presentation of a great layout. The architrave/dado rail fascia looks excellent! Really makes the layout look part of the home. Like a piece of furniture. Fantastic!  :claphappy:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #263 on: September 29, 2019, 07:10:23 PM »
Great to have another Saxon Street post, Alec.  Thank you for these photographs; the 'splat' is looking very nice indeed.

I don't have a digital camera and know nothing about digital photography.

But Mrs Poppingham has one and I borrow it.  I normally take a few photographs on 'Aperture Priority' from f18 to f20-something and use the best one for my forum posts.  As you will see, your one at f16 is much better than the one at f8, where better is defined as more being in focus.  Sometimes one might choose to blur the background and a lower 'f' number does this.

It's probably best to avoid using 'auto' for photographs of 'N' gauge trains and layouts.  I use it for other stuff, though.  My venerable Canon 'A1' has packed up, so I'm using the digital camera for everything now.  It's a Canon as well.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: September 29, 2019, 08:06:06 PM »
Very nice presentation of a great layout. The architrave/dado rail fascia looks excellent!

Thank you Chris, very kind of you.
Actually the rail at the top wasn't planned.   :-[ The back scene is on self adhesive paper and initially I fixed it too high directly to the wall!  :-[ In pulling it off and moving it down a bit the newly painted wall got slightly damaged and the little (very useful) shelf covers up my transgressions.  :doh:

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: September 29, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »

I don't have a digital camera and know nothing about digital photography.

................As you will see, your one at f16 is much better than the one at f8, where better is defined as more being in focus.  Sometimes one might choose to blur the background and a lower 'f' number does this.

John

Thank you for your helpful words of wisdom John. Part of my faffing about was that I decided to move the little switch to manual focus. This may not have been a wise choice. I won't give up just yet though.

Alec.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: September 29, 2019, 11:01:30 PM »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:
 Thanks Alec, good to see The Splat again, all looking good.
      regards Derek.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »
New 66
Before leaving the subject of splat 1 (I promise not to mention it anymore) here is a photo of my new class 66 passing by.
I purchased this at the recent Folkestone show and it came in its Gaugemaster "Collection" series box.
Its my first dcc loco fitted with an 18 pin decoder, which gives the opportunity of controlling the lights both directionally and also independently.

Old signal box
No purchase necessary here, rather a gift from my mate @ntpntpntp who said "I'm sure you can find a place for it on your layout".
So I've decided to plonk it here next to a road crossing piece of track. I need to ballast along the track edge and give it a little hard standing.

Good old Eddie Stobart.
In the finest traditions of rule one layouts, here is the ubiquitous Stobart truck making its way past some newly ploughed fields. Laser cut fencing by N-Scenic.

Splat 2
The vehicle is positively whizzing by new splat no.2.
Encouraged by previously learned lessons, this plaster bandage creation took me about a tenth of time of the original.
I've attempted to make it look ultra believable by throwing some old wild bushes along it.

Garage tarmac
The petrol station has had its yard newly tarmaced and a red brick wall built at the rear to stop late night revellers wandering on to the railway tracks.

Splat 3
I'm very pleased with splat no.3 which was created and installed to the rear of Willy Eckerslike's house at the Farningham end of the layout.
The photo doesn't really show it but its nicely contoured rising to about 28mm at its highest point. Its enough to give the look of a shallow cutting.
For the first time I get the impression of my trains running through the landscape with a little modest scenery either side.

Note to kindly admin folks. The six pictures I've used in this post I originally copied in error to the main gallery instead of my own individual one. Sorry about that.  :-[

Alec

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »
Thank you very much, Alec, for that interesting update and the excellent photographs.

Best wishes.

John

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: October 19, 2019, 08:51:24 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Thanks Alec all looking good & nice believable Splats,      :thumbsup:
      regards Derek

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £74.00