!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 9686 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »

You ought to see some of the photographs of our efforts that Poppy and I never took!

A cunning plan indeed!   ;)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: July 23, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »

You ought to see some of the photographs of our efforts that Poppy and I never took!

A cunning plan indeed!   ;)

Alec.

So cunning you could put whiskers on it and call it a fox

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2019, 10:39:53 AM »
Splat Mark 2

Good morning fellow modelling chaps. A short progress update if I may from my Saxon Street layout.

First of all a photo of some wagons temporarily left in the siding where the old refuelling tanks are. Bill and Ben have arrived to board up the old office and Iím hoping they will fill in the crack in the foam board before they leave for the day.

Iíve added an electricity sub station the sheer beauty of which is not lost on the residents of Saxon Street as they head out of town. ;)

Iíve had another go at scary scenery creating and have come up with a revised version of the splat. In fairness its not quite finished as I await a delivery of model trees from Messrs Eric Bay and Sons.
Just as John with his new church at Poppingham offered, Iím willing to bin it, if that is indeed the general consensus.

Carry on chaps.

Alec.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2019, 10:43:25 AM »
Looking good Alec and I see nowt wrong with the splat.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2019, 11:54:59 AM »
Absolutely fabulous, Alec.  And excellent photographs as well.

Thank you.

I think that the geomorphology is totally tickety-boo apart from One Thing*.  The trees 'n' stuff, at present on order, will add to the scene as well.

You must have had an electrifying time building that spiffing sub-station.

Best Wishes

John

*Thing One - all that green, green grass of Saxon Street requires the urgent acquisition of a sheep.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2019, 12:15:19 PM »
Stunning scenery

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2019, 02:28:57 PM »

I think that the geomorphology is totally tickety-boo apart from One Thing*.

John

*Thing One - all that green, green grass of Saxon Street requires the urgent acquisition of a sheep.

John,

Thank you for jogging my memory. A whole field full of sheep was in fact added to the layout a couple of weeks ago.
I've no idea where I got the idea from. How's Flossie by the way?  :)

Alec.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »
Alec, I missed this the other day. Fantastic scenery indeed.

Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »

Thank you for jogging my memory. A whole field full of sheep was in fact added to the layout a couple of weeks ago.
I've no idea where I got the idea from. How's Flossie by the way?  :)

Hello Alec

What a lovely flock.  Welcome to our Forum's sheep fanciers' special interest group.  What breed are they?

Flossie is very well, thank you.  She was clipped earlier this month and is very proud of her trim new look.  She is a Herdwick and is 'heafed' to the layout, so I don't need to bother with all the superscary fences that I've not yet made.  This can lead to potentially embarrassing incidents such as occurred a couple of days ago when she was walking into the church.  Dr Arabin, the rector (yes, of course, we have a rector at Poppingham), was about to try to remove her when she mentioned to him that she thought her kind would be made particularly welcome.  That made the learned doctor stop and think.

You did not ask after Herdy.  He is looking forward to November with increasing anticipation and reducing blood flow to his brain.  (The pronoun is all-important.)

That, I think, is all the n ewe s.

Pip-pip

John

Now for the apologies to:
Herdwick stockmen/women
William Blake
Anthony Trollope
The Forum for that attempt at a pun.  Absolutely awful.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2019, 07:21:46 PM »
@Train Waiting You can certainly tell you have been a member of the forum for a while John, coming out with puns like that!  ;) ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »

That, I think, is all the n ewe s.

I trust you are suitably sheepish about that one. @Train Waiting

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2019, 07:32:12 AM »
Great work Alec.  :thumbsup:

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2019, 09:32:44 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Superb work sir, love the Splat
        regards Derek

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2019, 01:19:26 PM »
Not so easy shunt.

I'm enjoying my layout and it is progressing to maybe its middle phase of being done. I'm no railway man though and it shows from time to time.
I have a neat little yard of four storage lanes which probably only needs fencing in, a little more ballast and a few weeds scattered about to start looking the part.
Running passenger trains is my real interest but I do have a peach of a Dapol class 22 locomotive with a few wagons to give a bit of variance from time to time.
Problem is the 22 gets trapped in the sidings by its wagons when I park it.
So I thought I'd be brave and have a go at automatic uncoupling to negate the need for unrealistic "hand of god" lifting of aforementioned class 22 into the sky to reposition it at the other end of the rake.

The first part of the process was easy. Purchase a Kato 64mm straight with built in magnet, unclip plain 64mm piece and swap them over. Cost £4.10. Time taken 4 minutes. (Good old Kato unitrack!).

Phase 2 is purchase of Dapol Easi-shunt couplings. Blimey these little blighters are expensive. £7.40 a pair direct from Dapol (maybe other people sell 'em cheaper?). That's not the end of it though! They fit into NEM pockets and not one of my little collection of wagons was so equipped.
Worse, there is no easy way to tell which Farish/Dapol wagons have NEM pockets. I've spoken to Bachmann who tell me their new website (when its launched) will have the information for Farish wagons.

The couplings have the tiniest springs imaginable and they WILL jump out when you try to push them into the NEM pockets. There is no point whatsoever in trying to find a spring that falls to the floor. You will NOT find it.
Dapol know this of course and include a couple of spares with each pair to give you a bit more of a chance! :-)
My good mate @ntpntpntp loaned me a couple of his continental wagons that had the necessary pockets and I fitted a pair to the wagons and to my class 22.
Even if you zoom in on this photo you can't really make out the coupling.

Anyway I managed in the end and here is the evidence on a less than good video. My class 411 EMU pulls away first then the 22 moves over the magnet, backs up a tad then draws cleanly away forward.

To begin with the coupling on the front of the loco would snag on a couple of bits of track, namely the raised bit on the road crossing piece and sometimes on my scissor crossover but fortunately there is a tad of vertical adjustment to fiddle with to get the heights right.

Alec.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
Does the Easy-Shunt work with the Microtrains coupling - I think you borrowed that test wagon also?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything