!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 9685 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2019, 05:41:06 PM »
 :hellosign: Superb video Alec,  :thumbsup: thanks for sharing.
     regards Derek

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2019, 05:46:46 PM »
Good running speed on the vid Alec. The low angle makes the layout look bigger too.

Pleased to see the beer delivery is well on its way from Königshafen to Saxon St  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »

Pleased to see the beer delivery is well on its way from Königshafen to Saxon St  :D

Cheers Nick! I thought you'd notice your beer wagon leading the way. The camera was balanced on another of your wagons at the other end. The Dapol easi-shunts seem to be working  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »
What-ho, Alec

Thank you so much for an absolutely fabulous piece of cinematography.  Clearly, you will be the Perpetual Winner of the Tidiest Train Room Awards.  And the layout looks simply spiffing.  SpifferifferooTM, in fact.

Just one little point, though.  There are many wonderful views of on-screen talent in the film.  But he appears not to be wearing a tie.  I always imagined Saxon Street to be a 'tie and jacket' layout.  Possibly a kipper tie of the DI Jack Regan variety.

Cheers, Guv.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »

Possibly a kipper tie of the DI Jack Regan variety.

John

A kipper tie? The only kipper tie* we 'ave round these parts is wot Elsie flogs down the cafe.

General Note 1: *  You'll understand this comment ONLY if you say it in a broad Brummie accent.

General Note 2: For those that DO understand......I'll get my coat.  :laugh:

Alec.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2019, 10:02:23 PM »
A most enjoyable short feature, including even the casually dressed cameo appearances ;D

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2019, 02:45:41 AM »
Delaying tactics

In the time honoured fashion of the very best procrastinators yours truly has been dragging his heels in a desperate attempt to avoid some pretty scary scenery that really MUST be done soon.

I bought an impossibly cheap (£15'ish) micro digital video recorder from some Chinese gentlemen who were purveying their wares on a well known interweb site. I did it with the very best of intentions. I thought it might be nice for all my N scale chums to have a little worms eye view of Saxon Street and surroundings.

If it is not too much of an imposition, could you reveal the identity of said minuscule recording device? It seems to have a much better quality picture than the one I acquired some years back, also acquired from the Middle Kingdom through this new-fangled internetworking thingummyjig.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2019, 02:57:59 AM »
Just spotted this! Cool vid!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2019, 07:46:28 AM »
 :greatpicturessign: Alec. The picture quality seems to far exceed the quality of the camera itself from what you describe.

You have a lot of un-developed real estate. Plenty of ‘ard graft still to do.

Bromley grammar boy eh? I went to Beckenham & Penge Grammar (which changed to Langley Park). Vividly remember a great cricket victory we had over you guys.... :D

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
Delaying tactics

In the time honoured fashion of the very best procrastinators yours truly has been dragging his heels in a desperate attempt to avoid some pretty scary scenery that really MUST be done soon.

I bought an impossibly cheap (£15'ish) micro digital video recorder from some Chinese gentlemen who were purveying their wares on a well known interweb site. I did it with the very best of intentions. I thought it might be nice for all my N scale chums to have a little worms eye view of Saxon Street and surroundings.

If it is not too much of an imposition, could you reveal the identity of said minuscule recording device?.............

Its an SQ13 by Quelima. Tons of info/reviews on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ewavFTgE-g

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2019, 01:38:18 PM »
:greatpicturessign: Alec. The picture quality seems to far exceed the quality of the camera itself from what you describe.

You have a lot of un-developed real estate. Plenty of ‘ard graft still to do.

Bromley grammar boy eh? I went to Beckenham & Penge Grammar (which changed to Langley Park). Vividly remember a great cricket victory we had over you guys.... :D

Hey Keith!
If you search Quelima SQ13 on YouTube, you'll find videos of people using it as a dash cam. It seems quite suited to that task. Its less than a 30mm cube so very neat but not too sharp on close up stuff. Just a bit of fun as far as I'm concerned. Being able to plonk it on a platform or a remote corner of the layout and obtain views that would be impossible otherwise is the aspect that intrigues me. Its supposed to be wireless and therefore in theory you can use a tablet or smartphone to get a live view, but I haven't managed to link mine up yet.

The undeveloped areas of the layout are entirely deliberate. I'm afraid of walking into the train room one morning to realise its all finished! What would I do then?  :worried: I'm glad to say that several other chaps on the forum take the same non-urgent view as me in regards to doing any actual graft  :)

Beckenham and Penge eh? Dunno about cricket but I recall your gaff was always a happy hunting ground for us goal scoring elite of the Bromley 1st XI. It was Roan and Tulse Hill schools that always battered us. Not surprising in the case of Tulse Hill it was huge. Had more than twice the number of kids to chose their teams from!

All the best.

Alec.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:40:18 PM by Invicta Alec »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #236 on: July 12, 2019, 07:06:34 AM »
Ah, B & P didn’t play that yobs game when I first started there, a rugby, hockey cricket school only! Footy was introduced when we moved to new buildings (conveniently situated next door to the girls school) and the new PE master was an FA coach.

I fully subscribe to the slow and steady progress approach, lots of thinking and considering time.  :)  :beers:

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2019, 08:02:34 PM »
A splat

Yours truly is a great fan of Black Adder. With apologies for those of you who are unfamiliar with this magnificent comedy, what follows will make no sense at all.

After days off tireless endeavour, I have combined together a perfectly shaped cardboard base, paper stuffing, several layers of plaster of Paris bandage, 50/50 mix of pva and water, several grams of mixed scatter and several unrepeatable oaths and I've made one side of a foot long cutting for my splendid DMUs to trundle past in the hope of looking truly believable and realistic.

"What you have there " said Black Adder "if it has a name; is a splat".  "It has nothing what-so-ever to do with model railways". "You might just as well have thrown all the materials into a pan and made a quick stir fry of it all".  "In short, you InvictaAlec, mighty defender of Kentish traditions are a total incompetent! ".

So, no stunning photos today of admirable progress dear chaps. As a good friend north of the border often  describes it .......scary scenery. I hate it.  :worried:

Alec.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2019, 08:47:38 PM »
Ah, but if you have indeed created some Pure Green then you are heading in the right direction with your scenery   :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »
I'm very sorry, Alec, that Lord Percy has been unable to be of much use as yet.  I have heard that the bishop of Bath and Wells might be able to help.

Alternatively, you could get the Whiteadders round.  But please remember; two spikes are an extravagance!

However, Flossie and I suggest that Lord Percy Verance is yer man.  The alchemy of SuperScary Semi-Scenic stuff rarely works at the first attempt.  You ought to see some of the photographs of our efforts that Poppy and I never took!

Toodle-oo.

John
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 09:27:32 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here