!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 8638 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2019, 09:52:30 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Not sayin' I'll get one charter train eh? but IF I do, what coaches would look fabulous following behind?  ::)

Alec.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:53:31 PM by Invicta Alec, Reason: can\'t type for toffee »
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2019, 09:55:03 PM »
mark one 's in maroon livery with a support coach would look superb alec,unsure maybe gresleys  /thompson stock if modelling a long time ago

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2019, 08:19:19 AM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Not sayin' I'll get one charter train eh? but IF I do, what coaches would look fabulous following behind?  ::)

Alec.

For looking 'fabulous', I think it has to be Pullmans, Alec.  A Belmond British Pullman sort of working.  Round the Surrey Hills, via Saxon Street, having Gala Luncheon behind Clan Line perfik!  Although my City of Truro suggestion for motive power still stands!

Toodle-oo.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »
You had me fooled for a minute.  I couldn't find it in either of my 1950s Ian Allen books.  Then I realised it was a modern repro.   I should go for the real thing!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
Just read this from the first post and it now makes me want to rebuild my layout even more, like you were I have reached the stage where I don't want to do any more to it.

love the layout and the even the DSLR pics.

cheers
Graham

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:44 AM »
Just read this from the first post and it now makes me want to rebuild my layout even more, like you were I have reached the stage where I don't want to do any more to it.

love the layout and the even the DSLR pics.

cheers
Graham

Graham, thanks for your comments.
In the two years or so that I've been back into modelling I've read a good number of posts on this forum indicating the loss of mojo, even among very experienced members.

I'm glad of all the lessons I learned from my first layout. Poor choice of materials/equipment, limited operational possibilities and quite frankly substandard modelling. I stopped all development for weeks on end. Maybe its this sense of dissatisfaction that causes many a layout not to be finished?

In deciding to scrap it all I was determined not to reach the same situation again. I spent dozens and dozens of hours on the new design. I'm glad to say that apart from re-positioning one set of points the layout is exactly the same as in the very first post, so I got that bit right at least. I'm still guilty of rushing bits of my slowly improving modelling, but I have to keep on reminding myself it really isn't a race!

Good luck with your decision, you have my vote to start again (and to begin enjoying doing it).  :)

Alec.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:55:26 AM by Invicta Alec »

Offline LowerQuadrant

• Rose-an-Grouse - a small junction in Cornwall
    • Awards
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2019, 06:13:26 AM »
Hmmm......I wonder what your green one would look like running around my layout?  :hmmm:

Can't right now, it's in Germany  :D

Whenever this should actually happen, I'll be so there... :claphappy:

Had my finger on the "buy"-button several times - a stunning machine, especially in blue. But being a present-day modeller, I'll wait some more. They can't hold the apple green Tornado from us forever (or can they? :hmmm:). Pre-owned ones seem to be very hard to get.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2019, 06:19:50 AM »
Surely a sought after collectors' locomotive that you desire on your shed?

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2019, 03:06:15 PM »
Some things you get right ..

Good afternoon to all in N scale land. Do you know the warm feeling of buying or building something for your layout and immediately thinking Yes! Bang on. Dead right! I did it recently with the purchase of a vehicle (one of the Oxford range). It only cost a few quid but it pleases me no end. A splendid model of an RTL bus in London Country green. Considering its size, super detailed radiator, number plates, advertisements and decals. Do you have any favourite little bits like this around your layout?

Now in an effort to keep pace with you expert modelling folk Ive made a start on ballasting the new storage yard at Cotton Hill. This part of the layout build is a test of my fundamental decision right from the start of having my Kato track sitting directly on the baseboard with 3mm foam board butting up to the track bed shoulder. Hopefully you can pretty much see my method in this photo.

Each strip of foam board is covered in neat pva and a very thin layer of the Kato ballast is sprinkled on. Its very easy to do since I lift each piece off the layout. When its dry I then brush over a 50/50 pva/water mix to seal the surface. Once that is dry each piece is then glued back into its final position using neat pva once again. This leaves me with just fine 1 or 2mm wide gaps between the boards and the track bed shoulder. My plan was to dry sprinkle in sufficient to fill the gaps and then seal it using droplets of the 50/50 mix. I only did a small bit like this and it was a pain. The droplets just sit on the surface so Im thinking that Im going to need a weaker mix? Did I read somewhere that adding a few molecules of washing up liquid breaks the surface tension?

Alec.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2019, 03:17:40 PM »
I like it Alec.   :thumbsup:. I also have put the Unitrack direct onto the baseboard and built up to the shoulders as and where I thought it necessary. In some places where I have a slight gap at the side of the track in a yard or whatever that is not covered by ballast, I have used a thin bead of PVA and sprinkled some 'grass' on to the PVA.  And yes, a drop or two of washing up liquid does help.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2019, 03:52:40 PM »
that is one neat set of sidings in the EMU Stabling point

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
That all looks fantastic and I agree fully, that bus just looks completely right.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: May 15, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
This part of the layout build is a test of my fundamental decision right from the start of having my Kato track sitting directly on the baseboard with 3mm foam board butting up to the track bed shoulder.
Each strip of foam board is covered in neat pva and a very thin layer of the Kato ballast is sprinkled on. Its very easy to do since I lift each piece off the layout. When its dry I then brush over a 50/50 pva/water mix to seal the surface. Once that is dry each piece is then glued back into its final position using neat pva once again. This leaves me with just fine 1 or 2mm wide gaps between the boards and the track bed shoulder. My plan was to dry sprinkle in sufficient to fill the gaps and then seal it using droplets of the 50/50 mix. I only did a small bit like this and it was a pain. The droplets just sit on the surface so Im thinking that Im going to need a weaker mix? Did I read somewhere that adding a few molecules of washing up liquid breaks the surface tension?

I used a similar approach on the Table-Top Railway Mark III, as kindly recommended by @tutenkhamunsleeping .  Something to break the surface tension is pretty much essential as I found on the occasion when I forgot to add a drop of Waitrose 'Essentials' washing up liquid to the dilute PVA.  Horrid puddles!

Do you know the warm feeling of buying or building something for your layout and immediately thinking Yes! Bang on. Dead right! I did it recently with the purchase of a vehicle (one of the Oxford range). It only cost a few quid but it pleases me no end. A splendid model of an RTL bus in London Country green. Considering its size, super detailed radiator, number plates, advertisements and decals. Do you have any favourite little bits like this around your layout?

Yes, I certainly do!  Each time a little parcel with pretty stamps arrives from the Isle of Man.  Another Union Mills Locomotive.  Perfick!

And yes; my favourite little bits are the items that Forum Friends have so kindly given to me.

That motor omnibus looks the part.  Definitely helps to set the scene.

All best wishes.

John
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:03:13 PM by Train Waiting »
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2019, 07:23:50 PM »

And yes, a drop or two of washing up liquid does help.

David.

:thankyousign:

Alec.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:44:08 PM by Invicta Alec »

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »

Something to break the surface tension is pretty much essential as I found on the occasion when I forgot to add a drop of Waitrose 'Essentials' washing up liquid to the dilute PVA.  Horrid puddles!
Each time a little parcel with pretty stamps arrives from the Isle of Man.  Another Union Mills Locomotive.  Perfick!

John, thanks dear chap for the second vote on the dash of "Essentials".  :)
The thought of one of your shiny new Union Mills splashing through horrid puddles makes one shudder!

Mine were more like miniature golf ball blobs. A thinner mixture and a drop of Sainsburys el cheapo next time for me.

Alec.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here