!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 8634 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2019, 06:09:08 PM »
Looking good Alec.  :thumbsup: I have a box just for Metcalfe 'left overs' and am using a piece of roofing for the extended Manor House Farm I am building as we speak.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Thank you for these super photographs, Alec.

You are certainly the Metcalfe Ace!  And the motor omnibus shelter is a jolly fine job.

The new-flocked lawn looks lovely.  Ideal place for having a pint/s of 'London Pride' and watching the trains go by.

I had fun with the Peco level crossing as well.  No cloud of bad language here of course, as there was a lady present.  But maybe a whoops-a-daisy or two.

Great stuff; model railways are fun.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »
Thank you for sharing those pictures Alec.
You’ve made a super job of those kitd and I very much like the beer garden fencing.
Keep the updates coming if you will.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »

Great stuff; model railways are fun.

Best wishes.

John

Thank you John and also to the other fine fellows on here for all your words of encouragement. Its a pleasure to be a part of this community. Yes I'm having fun with Saxon Street but also enjoying and learning from your layouts too.

Best wishes to my fellow N gaugers in Prague, The Borders, Carrharrack, Hayle, Hessle, Leitrim, Cambridge and anyone with connections to Newport  :)

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
 Just to add a very worthy  :thumbsup: excellent modelling Alec
      regards Derek.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
You've got to hand it to John over at Poppingham village, his infectious enthusiasm for the newly arrived Union Mills 3F has spilled over to Saxon Street.

If you were up very early this morning having a wander past the little used Cotton Hill station you'd have witnessed the spiffing handiwork of those clever fellows at the locomotive paint shop. Just a few short days ago a somewhat tired SWT class 170 eased its way into their care. Now gleaming in the morning sunlight and raring to get back into traffic this beautiful refurb slowly trundled past.

Young Terry Spotter aware of its imminent arrival had climbed a tree and bagged this with his dad's telephoto lens.

Shortly after arriving at Farningham Central to pick up its first passengers in its new Southern livery it caused quite a stir among the old hands. Old Tom said "Thirty three years I've worked on this station and I don't think I've ever seen such a nice looking livery". "Aye, you can't beat the Southern" said Dick. "Nonsense" said Harry. "None of the modern stuff is a patch on the magnificent BR blue and grey" as he wandered off muttering to himself. "Cor blimey, its got a first class bit" said young Terry as he treated himself to one more close up.

Back in the real world, my thanks to BR Lines for sending me (in super quick time) some new body shells for my 170. Almost as good as having a new train! I've got a spare set of SWT bodies now going cheap!  ;)

Alec.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »
Absolutely fabulous, Alec; thank you very much indeed.

And thank you to young Terry Spotter for these splendiferous photographs.

Southern livery, eh; that's got me thinking!

Toodle-pip.

John

PS Terry, the 'first class bit' is for me to travel in.  And for Poppy, too; I don't think she would go in a third - sorry 'standard' as it's called nowadays.
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 25, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
Keep Left

Hello fellow model railway enthusiasts. Here is another scintillating report on the progress of my Saxon Street layout.
Before I begin I should tell you that yours truly is quite a history buff. Not that I'm any sort of authority but I simply enjoy reading the subject widely. I chose the moniker Invicta Alec to use on the forum as an acknowledgement to the glorious history of my home county of Kent. The rampant white horse, the county symbol is also known as Invicta, meaning undefeated or unconquered. Bit odd really since every ragamuffin tribe that's ever marched over from the continent has trampled all over us on their way up the country (well up until 1940 they did).
Anyway I digress. Dunno about undefeated but I've long suspected that I continue to lose my marbles at an alarming rate.
Today I spent about forty minutes turning a very small scrap of thin cardboard into a 4x4x9.5mm cuboid. I did have a lengthy conversation with myself while doing so, mainly on strategies to avoid dropping the thing several times on the floor.

I thought this whole futile exercise should be recorded for posterity.

Its a poor photo taken with my cheapy phone. No way was I going to have that too-clever-for-its-own-good DSLR camera of mine show up my lack of skills.

Alec.

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: April 25, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Excellent work that is Alec.  :thumbsup: And don't forget, having a conversation with yourself means that, if an argument develops, you win!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 25, 2019, 09:41:13 PM »
Just remember - 'no man is an island' sayeth John Donne in 1624 when they didn't even have traffic islands so he was therefore pyschotic psychedelic physic a clever clogs

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: April 25, 2019, 11:15:47 PM »
 :hellosign: Gosh Alec, excellent modelling  :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2019, 06:54:41 AM »
That looks great from this distance Alec!  :thumbsup:

My grandmother told me to always talk to the smartest person there.  :D

Cheers  :beers:

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
Where I come from, that could be described as the first of a lot of bollards!  When they first appeared in Coventry, the one outside the Council House quickly earnd the nickname 'Aunt Sally' on account of the fact that it was knocked over almost every week.  And they weren't the modern plug-in ones in those days so they used to get really flattened.  The steam rollers in coventry were Invica with the rampant horse on the front of the steering post, so one of those might have done a real flattening job!  :D

But well done for a bit of excellent modelling!  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2019, 10:25:13 AM »

The steam rollers in Coventry were Invicta with the rampant horse on the front of the steering post......

Absolutely spot on Laurence. The Invicta steam rollers were made by Aveling and Porter at their Strood, Kent works. I grew up not more than five miles from there. Fascinated to watch them as a boy trundling down the streets of our estate following the tar and grit lorries, flattening everything in their paths. A fearsome sight when you were only a little lad.

Alec.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2019, 06:53:10 PM »
The rampant white horse, the county symbol is also known as Invicta, meaning undefeated or unconquered.

And the cap badge of the Royal West Kents*.  Memorably worn by the Walmington-on-Sea platoon of the Home Guard**.

That is a magnificent bollard, Alec.  Great modelling!  Please tell me that these are a post-1938 feature as I don't fancy making one.

I actually once acted (in Nairn where all things are possible) as a steersman on a steam-roller and had to bring it in beside a well-known television personality without flattening him.  All I'll say is that the term 'lost motion' (no sniggering at the back of the room please @Newportnobby) could have been invented for the steering of a steam-roller.  It was a Fowler of Leeds rather than an Aveling & Porter.  The personality survived!

Best wishes

John

* In the interests of balance, I ought to point out that other regiments are available - 'Steady the Buffs!'

** "Wur aw doooooomed!"

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £69.00
Below Goal: £31.00
Site Currency: GBP
69% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything