!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 9677 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2019, 03:42:22 PM »
Regarding the Kato track, I actually did what you did in reverse - I laid the track and then cut 3mm board to butt up to the track where required - that way, even though there is only 3mm difference, the baseboard is not uniform in height.

Yeah, good thinking David. I can think of an idea of two where that 3mm difference could be used to good effect. After all it represents a foot and a half in real world terms.

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

It looks a bit darker than the moulded trackbase to my eyes, or is that just a camera effect?

To be honest although it is a Kato product its not an absolute match. Close but not exact. I think the ballast was maybe not quite dry at the time of taking the photo. Its darned expensive though, so packing it out with foam board saves money.

Alec.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2019, 04:02:51 PM »
Thanks, Alec. Yes, I was almost going to ask if it was still wet, as it will be lighter when dry.

The foamboard filling is much better than filling with ballast alone, that's for sure.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
Thank you for these splendid photographs, Alec.  Saxon Street is coming on very well indeed.  You are certainly an expert builder of the Metcalfe kits and the road markings are ever so neat.

As for that 1970s-ish car - a Ford Cortina? - in an 'interesting' colour and with a stick-on vinyl roof, I remember them.

Great stuff.  Congratulations.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »
A very neat and tody job.
This is all looking really good.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2019, 05:03:44 PM »
Very nice job, Alec.

As for that 1970s-ish car - a Ford Cortina? - in an 'interesting' colour and with a stick-on vinyl roof, I remember them.

It sure looks like a 'Golden Ochre' Mk III to me :D

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2019, 05:37:10 PM »
The Kato ballast I have dries to an almost identical colour to the moulded ballast. A disadvantage of Kato Unitrack is its uniformity, by adding a bit of ballast, that uniformity can be altered.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2019, 07:01:27 PM »
Very nice job, Alec.

It sure looks like a 'Golden Ochre' Mk III to me :D

Absolutely spot on Mick and John.  Mark3 Cortina Golden Ochre and vinyl roof!! Oxford model been out about a year I think.

Alec.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »
A very neat and tody job.
This is all looking really good.
:hellosign:. I'll second that & thanks for the really useful ideas for the ballasting  :thumbsup:
    regards Derek

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:34 PM »
A little more progress on the layout dear fellows.
Some housing has been added to the layout at the Saxon Street end. Also the ubiquitous Queen Victoria pub and a little bit of green space for the residents. Hopefully the local ruffians will not throw their takeaway cartons on it on their way home from the pub.
All of these buildings were salvaged from my old layout and necessarily retouched here and there to make good.

Here is a general view of the main street and with the planned additions of some lamposts, the odd road sign and maybe a letterbox it'll be near completion. I'm open to any ideas you all might have.

I have four storage lanes at Cotton Hill, the other end of the layout. The ROA (rule 1 applies) aspect of my layout is really in evidence here. A BR green class 22 hauling mainly private owner wagons. Classes 350 and 153 in London Midland livery and a 156 in Northern Rail. I also confess to having some blue/grey stock and some NSE. Don't care, I think they are all splendid.

Comments and witticisms gladly received.

Alec.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2019, 03:51:48 PM »
All looking good Alec.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2019, 04:13:15 PM »
The ROA (rule 1 applies) aspect of my layout is really in evidence here. A BR green class 22 hauling mainly private owner wagons. Classes 350 and 153 in London Midland livery and a 156 in Northern Rail. I also confess to having some blue/grey stock and some NSE. Don't care, I think they are all splendid.

Comments and witticisms gladly received.

Alec.

That's exactly what Rule 1 is for, and well applied :)

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2019, 04:37:09 PM »
Cor blimey, Alec, don't these photographs look bloomin' marvellous.

Saxon Street strikes my eyes as reasonably contemporary, say 1990-present day (ROA, of course!)  How about Belisha Beacons, or a Pelican crossing, and lots 'n' lots of badly parked cars and white vans all over the place?  And a couple of Diamond Geezers standing outside the boozer!

See ya later!

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2019, 05:40:17 PM »
Cor blimey, Alec, don't these photographs look bloomin' marvellous.

Saxon Street strikes my eyes as reasonably contemporary, say 1990-present day (ROA, of course!)  How about Belisha Beacons, or a Pelican crossing, and lots 'n' lots of badly parked cars and white vans all over the place?  And a couple of Diamond Geezers standing outside the boozer!

See ya later!

John

John, thanks geezer! In truth the photos were the only 3 survivors from the session. The other 9 are in the bin. My original plan was to aim for 1986, so your estimate is very close. Being ROA there is a plus/minus 15 year safety band in operation too.
I like your thinking, Belisha beacons are already pencilled in on the next shopping list!

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2019, 04:22:09 PM »
The landlady at the Queen Vic pub in Saxon Street Annie Walker ever with an eye to making more money has stumped up the cash for a beer garden. My B&Q style cheapy fence panels have come out quite well considering the unforgiving nature of my Canon DSLR and its propensity in showing up every little modelling faux pas. The newly laid lawn despite being made of finest scatter proves the point. I've got my eye on the Metcalfe mini kit of benches and parasols to finish it off.

Another view with the wall advert for Rothmans fags blurred out in order to be PC.

Giving myself a rest from glue and scatter I decided to do something I'm reasonably good at i.e. making Metcalfe kits. Here is one of their latest offerings, a little industrial unit. Probably one of their easiest to make I think. Looks fine, just got to decide where it'll finally be positioned.

A little set of Peco level crossing gates built from 22 micoscopic pieces of plastic amid a cloud of bad language. My cricketing days are over, I'm forever dropping bits on to the floor. Just loose laid at the moment before making good the join between road and track.

Now, I'm quite pleased with my Model Scene bus stops and bus shelters. Knowing I was going to take a photo of these I spent ages making sure the bus stops were absolutely vertical, giving my camera no chance of embarrassing me! The little time table (5x3mm) and the roundels (5x4mm), neither of which were supplied, were a challenge to make indeed! The bus shelters (one at the station and one outside the school) came unpainted and no glazing supplied. The packaging of many of the Metcalfe kits has a thin acetate sheet as a viewing window and I've kept a few of these as a "these might come in handy one day" type of thing. Glad to report that is what the shelters are glazed with.  :)

Carry on chaps.

Alec.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:55:49 PM by Invicta Alec »

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations