!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge  (Read 98127 times)

Offline PennineWagons

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Poppingham - a Table-Top Railway in British 'N' Gauge
« Reply #2145 on: December 11, 2019, 11:17:59 PM »
I don't see Flossie on the photo.
Is she in the pub?
PW

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2146 on: December 12, 2019, 08:05:55 AM »
Is she in the pub?
PW

Oh no! A drunk sheep - carnage!

If Bertie’s buying I’ll have whatever the sheep’s drinking.  :beers:

Very nice looking roof.  :thumbsup:

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2147 on: December 13, 2019, 09:59:05 AM »
'Long Tom'

Hello Chums

I mentioned earlier the jovial ex-GN crew that brought the 'Long Tom' to Bobbington shed a good few years back.  I assumed that, on her way there, she would have passed through Poppingham.  This was before I moved here, so I asked Bertie Poppingham if he happened to have taken a photograph.  He has kindly looked through his collection and...

On her way to Bobbington shed, ex-GNR 'Q2' 0-8-0 No. 3454 passes through Poppingham on the up line; Dick Trevithick was conductor to the ex-GN driver.  The photograph was taken by a much younger Bertie Poppingham.  Fortunately, when the 'Q1', Q2' and 'Q3' classes were superseded by the 'O1' and 'O2' 2-8-0s, No. 3454 found a duty on our railway and escaped withdrawal.

Thank you very much for your jolly nice comments about the finished building.

The LMS theme is very reminiscent of the late Norman Eagle's O Gauge 'Sherwood Section of the LMS'. The coarse scale and unballasted track being the principle links. I read/saw pics of that layout in my youth and marvelled at it.

I think Poppingham is an excellent layout theme.

The new pub is fitting together and in very well!  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Chris.  That's very kind.  The Sherwood Section is a major influence.  It was, of course, built for accurate prototypical operation, rather than simply watching the trains go by, but I really like the 'look' of it.

Freddie Frith would, of course, have been one of the Velo set.

Yes, indeed, Laurence.  Our Freddie Frith has a 'MOV' 250cc Velocette.  Maybe someday he'll get a 'KSS' or a 'KTT' - like his namesake.  Although FF later had a Norton interlude so that he had a mount for both the Junior and Senior TT.

Is she in the pub?
PW

Profuse apologies!  She had wandered off to the other side of the layout when I was having a bash at taking a photograph.  At least the young Bertie P was not so remiss and her grandmother appears in his photograph of the 'Q2'!

Once again, thank you so much for reading this nonsense and for your lovely contributions.

All best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2148 on: December 14, 2019, 07:25:04 PM »

The LMS theme is very reminiscent of the late Norman Eagle's O Gauge 'Sherwood Section of the LMS'. The coarse scale and unballasted track being the principle links. I read/saw pics of that layout in my youth and marvelled at it.

I think Poppingham is an excellent layout theme.

The new pub is fitting together and in very well!  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Chris.  That's very kind.  The Sherwood Section is a major influence.  It was, of course, built for accurate prototypical operation, rather than simply watching the trains go by, but I really like the 'look' of it.

Sherwood was run by a sizeable team so prototypical operations would have been achievable. I think for one person it would be far too much! :goggleeyes:

The LNER theme today reminds me of Crewchester! Perhaps a few large indoor plants in the background would further enhance the image!

For those unaware of Crewchester (or, indeed, Sherwood) it was a large O Gauge garden railway built by the late Jack Ray. Another one of those layouts that needed a team to operate. Both Sherwood and Crewchester were notable for prototypical operations/signalling/timetabling and their use of clockwork. Truly marvellous enterprises IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 07:26:28 PM by chrispearce »
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2149 on: Yesterday at 04:58:08 PM »
A Tribute to Crewchester

Thank you very much, Chris, @chrispearce  for your mention of the magnificent Crewchester.  What a layout that was!  '0' gauge, coarse scale, mostly outdoors and clockwork until the late Mr Ray changed to two-rail electrification.  His book A Lifetime With '0' Gauge is one of my favourites and I often dip into it.  As, hopefully, one can see from this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21091409-a-lifetime-with-o-gauge ,the cover featured a very nice 'Claud Hamilton' 4-4-0 in LNER livery.  Just the thing to have a bash at replicating on Poppingham...

Our No. 8828 is the later 'D16/3' rebuild, with the typical Gresley round-top boiler, standing in for Crewchester's 'Royal' Claud Hamilton No. 8787 on the book's cover.

Thanks again, Chris.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2150 on: Yesterday at 05:09:43 PM »
What a splendid scene!

Tea cosy tunnel in the background, the pond, the church and Poppingham village houses in the distance.

8828 is the star in the foreground.

In my mind I'm seeing this photo printed onto the front of a cardboard box, with a big "Triang" or "Hornby" sign top left. A youngster's Christmas wish!

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2151 on: Yesterday at 07:01:01 PM »
A Tribute to Crewchester

Thank you very much, Chris, @chrispearce  for your mention of the magnificent Crewchester.  What a layout that was!  '0' gauge, coarse scale, mostly outdoors and clockwork until the late Mr Ray changed to two-rail electrification.  His book A Lifetime With '0' Gauge is one of my favourites and I often dip into it.  As, hopefully, one can see from this https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21091409-a-lifetime-with-o-gauge ,the cover featured a very nice 'Claud Hamilton' 4-4-0 in LNER livery.  Just the thing to have a bash at replicating on Poppingham...

Our No. 8828 is the later 'D16/3' rebuild, with the typical Gresley round-top boiler, standing in for Crewchester's 'Royal' Claud Hamilton No. 8787 on the book's cover.

Thanks again, Chris.

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-pip.

John

An EXCELLENT homage John. Have the book and enjoy it myself. What an epic!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2152 on: Yesterday at 07:44:23 PM »

In my mind I'm seeing this photo printed onto the front of a cardboard box, with a big "Triang" or "Hornby" sign top left. A youngster's Christmas wish!
Alec.

Many thanks, Alec - what a lovely compliment!  Do you think the box illustration, around 60 years ago, might have looked a little bit like this?

All best wishes.

John

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #2153 on: Yesterday at 07:50:31 PM »

Alec.

Many thanks, Alec - what a lovely compliment!  Do you think the box illustration, around 60 years ago, might have looked a little bit like this?

All best wishes.

John

Hahaha! Exactly like that John! Excellent!!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2154 on: Yesterday at 08:12:01 PM »

This'll be the pic!  :thumbsup:

Sadly, somewhere between my phone and my PC - despite rotating/saving repeatedly - it's on its side! Sorry. :-[

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2155 on: Yesterday at 09:08:42 PM »
Here it is rotated, Chris.

Many thanks.

John

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
December Donations

Advertise Here