!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: City of Truro  (Read 8381 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: City of Truro
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 10:37:49 AM »
 :doh:
Drat. I guess I'll just have to run CoT as a rule 1 purchase (and I hate rule 1) as I have nothing that would fit the 1930s. Either that or find a repaint source as others have done.

Offline Pedanticmongrel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25784
    • Ebay
    • Pedanticmongrel's N gauge Modelling
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
As I notice a lot of people are mentioning liveries, it is worthy to note that in 1957 the 'Indian red' was not actually 'Indian red'.  I have read in various sources over the years that 'freight wagon bauxite' was used! This is probably covered up by the primitive colour photography of the time.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 11:54:22 AM »
That's interesting, HRH!

I shall have to do a bit more research meself.

Dave G

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 03:22:51 PM »
If understand things then, once I have my CoT with red frame the closest to what she may have hauled would be the Dapol Colletts with shirtbutton livery.

If you have CoT with red frames then you can run it in 1957 form. That opens up the whole range of transition era stock from collet mainline stock through to BRMk1s.

I have not seen any photos of CoT hauling a B-set but she did haul a variety of exGWR stock on the DN&S between rail tours.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
One of my mates has just rung me to say he has only just ordered a City of Truro and Colin has got only a few left .and is very busy dispatching all the back orders

Looks like I'm unlikely to get one this time round... :(

Perhaps it's just as well. I'm trying to tell myself very firmly not to buy any more locos until I have made much more progress on my layout, and CoT would be a way-out Rule 1 purchase for me anyway. It looks a terrific loco. Hope all you lucky purchasers have many happy hours with it.

Cheers,

Chris
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 09:55:33 PM »
I was talking to @Hailstone at our club running day yesterday about creating some transfers to create the early livery including the Garter crest and possibly the lining.

It won't be immediate but if I have some time I will have a play and see what I can produce on my Dry film printer.

Offline Pedanticmongrel

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »
I was talking to @Hailstone at our club running day yesterday about creating some transfers to create the early livery including the Garter crest and possibly the lining.

It won't be immediate but if I have some time I will have a play and see what I can produce on my Dry film printer.

Good Idea, I see the GWR monogram is available from FOX, some older transfer sheets had the garter crest on, I have some P C Models and Cavendish, not sure if these can be found anywhere anymore, they'd had come out from an ancient tin of my father's modelling materials from the 1980's.

Link to the Fox Monogram: https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/gwr-monogram-75981

Offline Skyline2uk

• Lets preserve at least one HST.....
    • My home layout thread, Filton TMD
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
Had the pleasure of seeing one of these run yesterday and it is a lovely locomotive.

There is something extremely relaxing about watching an n gauge steam loco running on a loop with some coaches.

I actually felt my pulse slow slightly and my tension reduce.

Top work from Union Mills / Colin :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 01:54:15 PM »
Had the pleasure of seeing one of these run yesterday and it is a lovely locomotive.

There is something extremely relaxing about watching an n gauge steam loco running on a loop with some coaches.

I actually felt my pulse slow slightly and my tension reduce.

Top work from Union Mills / Colin :thumbsup:

Skyline2uk
Thank you very much for this.

I could not agree more!  Just watching the train run round...

I find that there is something about the size of the layout as well.

It appears more relaxing watching a train on my 4'x2.5' layout than on the 2mx1m one.

And there is a parcel waiting for me at our local collection office.  I wonder what it could be...

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
Got mine, i forgot how heavy the union mills loco's are ! Should pull everything i've got  :)

Fab model, lots more detail than the other union mills loco my son has, its quite old now.

Craig

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
Collected mine from RM depot this morning. First impressions were "Blimey. It's heavy. Glad I went to the gym before opening the box!" followed by "lovely smooth runner"

I don't have any correct coaching stock for it so I'll be taking Wickedpedia's view that "In 1962, it was taken to Swindon's GWR Museum where it was renumbered back to 3717 and in plain green livery with black frames." (working condition, of course ;))
Following a rumour the Kimbolted branch line was scheduled for closure we see 3717 at the head of a 'brake van special' run by the Ian Allan Locospotters Club.........

This is my first UM loco and I have a G2 on order with UM for early in the new year. True, the loco is not very detailed and the black wire twixt loco and tender is quite an eyesore but it runs extremely well straight from the box and, let's face it, there's probably no way we'd have got this loco from any other manufacturer. Chapeau, Colin :admiration:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2018, 10:48:15 AM »
Looks magic to me, Mick.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Pedanticmongrel

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
For anyone who is still excited about the City of Truro being released by Union Mills, here are some more close up shots of the model as it comes.

I will most likely be working out modifications to further detail it in due course along with a repaint.

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2018, 02:41:28 PM »
Just had a thought, do the Union Mills locos run ok on code 40 track work ?

Just curious, as i keep on looking at the code 40 stuff with it's correct sleeper spacing etc  ;)

Craig

Online PLD

• Hull Miniature Railway Society
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
Just had a thought, do the Union Mills locos run ok on code 40 track work ?

Just curious, as i keep on looking at the code 40 stuff with it's correct sleeper spacing etc  ;)
From experience with Finetrax pointwork: earlier ones which had 'generous' flanges are not great... More recently produced examples have better profile wheels and are fine, but you need to make sure the back-to-back of the wheels is spot on (out of the box, I've found UM's tend to be a little tight). If the leading coupled axle (and front bogie where applicable) are even the slightest fraction under gauge you will be likely to have issues when the tender drive is pushing through facing points...
(this also applies to other tender-driven locos, it's not just a UM issue)

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal