!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Install a Union Mills motor into a Peco/Riverossi Jubilee tender.  (Read 420 times)

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
HELP can anybody tell me how to fit a Union Mills Ruddles tender motor into a Peco Jubilee tender. Apparently this has been done a few times according to The gentleman who owned Union Mills and makes the locos he sells all with good reviews and reliability. I believe it has been done a few times previously and the locos have run as good if not better than new.
Thanks Ken

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Install a Union Mills motor into a Peco/Riverossi Jubilee tender.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
Just the motor? Not heard of it being done that way, you'd need to be sure it's a single-ended motor that fits in the circular recess and  allows the worm to engage.

I've only read about it, but I thought the approach was to use a complete Union Mill tender chassis with the Jubilee tender bodyshell and maybe the sideframes.   I believe the polarity of the UM tender is opposite to the Jubilee in terms of which side of the loco and tender are live and pick up (hence the drawbar would also be "live" to the wrong side)?  I seem to recall UM used to sell tender chassis with that correct polarity, but doesn't offer them that way any more?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:25:35 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 08:29:09 PM »
Easiest way to change tender polarity is to drop the wheels out and put them back in other way round. I think on some UM tenders the gear on the axle is off centre, if so just ease it across.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »
Thank you ntpntpntp, and dorsetmike I received the motor with chassis very promptly but whats got me confused is how to alter the Peco chassis to fit it in after the wheel change. It's the first one I am going to try so very much in the dark (nowt new for me). Any ideas will be most welcome as the Newbie in the name is bang on skill wise.
Thanking you both in advance Ken.

Online Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:54:54 PM »
Use the complete UM motor and chassis and fit the jubilee tender body onto it after turning the wheels over.
Cheers MIKE

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
Are Union Mills still trading?

Anyone got any links if they are Google came up empty on my search so I assumed they ceased trading some time ago.

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Wrinkly1

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:09:20 AM »
Union Mills are very much alive and trading but have no website so won't show up on Google (except on sites such as Yell, where it just gives an address and phone number)

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
Union Mills is very much alive and busy making locos but only takes phone orders now as he is on his own. the phone number is 01624 852896. he answers during the day and is a very pleasant person to deal with and knowlegable. Highly recommended on my experience with him and prompt delivery as well.
Hope this helps others, Ken. :)

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 10:28:24 PM »
Dorsetmike Sorry not to reply sooner been up to my ears making back scenes for the club model 9ft of 3d forest bashed out of Wordsworth free download kits printed at 51.35% for N 1005 for 00. Ooer typing that gave me a funny turn leftwards :D Joke over now question i take it you don't use the Peco chassis but glue it direct to the tender body. Daft question i know but if i don't ask i'll end up with a cockeyed tender with the wheels looking to be out of line with the wheel holders on the original chassis. Am i right thinking this please.
Thanks for every ones help in this. Now I have to find some 50s/60s fire crews and an AEC Regent 111 engine for them and i'll have it cracked for LAMBMINTON which is progressing and on a four by three board now and possible fattening out to a four by four Will put some picture up soon.
Ken :claphappy: :laugh: :thumbsup:

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Hi Newportnobby yeh its done it again I am after firefighting crew not engine crew plus an AEC Regent111 fire engine circa 1950/60s but keep getting sent to train crew every time.Its the same with 50/60s coppers finally found a pack of fleetline metal ones. I'm somewhat surprised others haven't had the same problem.
Ken

Online Dorsetmike

• Grumpy old fart
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 10:16:55 PM »
Noch do fire crew dressed in black or dayglo orange and Oxford diecast do some fire vehicles

https://www.romancart.com/search.asp?storeid=46708&searchterm=n-gauge%20fire

Cheers MIKE

Offline N Scale Newbie

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Thanks Dorsetmike ill look at them but i think the uniform is wrong but will double check. Oxford do a Dennis fire engine of the time for Glasgow brigade I'm just being fussy wanting the Regent Meryweather machine.
Let you know how i do thanks
ken :smiley-laughing: ;D :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything