New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ModelMaster or where have all the Decals gone  (Read 554 times)

Offline Bulliedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16235
  • 2mm Association Number: 4276
    • Awards
ModelMaster or where have all the Decals gone
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:39:30 AM »
Hi

Does anyone know what the situation is with Modelmaster, I went to the website about a month a go to check if they had some wagon transfers, which they did, went back today and all that is available in 2mm are transfers for Locos  :confused2:

I know they were on-off about retiring and closing the business earlier this year but I thought that they were going to keep it open.

Andy

Online Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
Re: ModelMaster or where have all the Decals gone
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »
Does anyone know what the situation is with Modelmaster, I went to the website about a month a go to check if they had some wagon transfers, which they did, went back today and all that is available in 2mm are transfers for Locos  :confused2:

I know they were on-off about retiring and closing the business earlier this year but I thought that they were going to keep it open.

I think this has been covered in the NGS Journal but here's a link to an announcement on the NGS website.

http://newweb.ngaugesociety.com/?p=1795

I believe a stocktake is underway and then they'll be available again.

Offline middlefour

• N Gauge Society Number: 14770
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »
Further to that in the current N Gauge Newsletter the Chairman Richard Bardsley states that "we do not see decals and nameplates as a core activity for the Society, there are enough other providers of these products"

So is he saying that the plans to include a set of correct decals with each kit is now dropped? He is correct to say that it is not a " core activity" for the society but never the less I think it is a great pity that this is the road chosen by the committee. The same comments could be made about the Society kits, which is one of the reasons I first joined, and having not long paid my next years subscription I am wondering if I will again.
Steve

Offline Bulliedman

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »
I wasn't talking specifically about those that are supplied by the NGS, Modelmaster were selling what I presumed to be their own sheets of Decals and I actually bought a sheet of the 16t Mineral Wagon transfers recently. Are you saying they have all gone back to the Society ?

As for other manufacturers well they're not that thick on the ground. :no:

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »

Hi

I can think of four decal suppliers off the top of my head.

Fox
Railtec
Precision Decals
CCT

Cheers

Paul

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 06:28:40 PM »
Well, after several years a member of the NGS I have not renewed.

When I received a renewal reminder from the NGS membership secretary I sent him an email explaining my reasons for not renewing. I think it's beneficial for societies to know reasons for not renewing. He replied saying he hoped I would understand he could not discuss NGS business with me as I was no longer a member. He finished by saying my remarks would be passed to the committee.

I happen to think that the Modelmaster decals at their attractive price did form a benefit of membership along with the society kits. During a recent conversation with Modelmaster he told me he could no longer sale any of the N gauge decals as they are the property of the NGS, and are awaiting collection to be back with the NGS. The few N gauge decals he is selling (lining) belong to him so these he is at will to sell.  I became rankled at the yoyo situation of the decals, claims and counter claims from both sides, and didn't know what to believe in the end. Some other aspects of the society that have not sat well with me prompted my decision not to renew. Yes there are of course other sources of decals and I have just received some decals from Fox, the day after placing an order over the phone. 

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:05:06 AM »
I wasn't talking specifically about those that are supplied by the NGS, Modelmaster were selling what I presumed to be their own sheets of Decals and I actually bought a sheet of the 16t Mineral Wagon transfers recently. Are you saying they have all gone back to the Society ?

It was reported in the NGS Journal many months ago (March time, by memory) that the NGS had decided to terminate its relationship with Modelmasters whereby Modelmasters was responsible for marketing and distributing the Society's wide range of 2mm decals.  Originally it was reported that the stocks would be taken back in house but it has subsequently been reported that the stocks would be disposed of and not replaced.  All this has been gleened from the Society journal or accompanying newsletter.

Offline Bulliedman

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:56 AM »
On the face of it I have to say that appears to be a very unsatisfactory conclusion. It almost smacks of we don't want you to have them but we don't want them ourselves. Has the society really binned something that was of use to all of the n gauge community The only people to lose out are those who want to make and detail there own models and IMHO this is just a follow on from the get someone to make it for you and then buy it trend that appears to be entering the hobby rather than the do it yourself approach.

Right "off of the soapbox" and back to fitting a Dapol Britannia tender chassis under a Langley Class 4 4-6-0.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »

Right "off of the soapbox" and back to fitting a Dapol Britannia tender chassis under a Langley Class 4 4-6-0.

Off topic I know but @Bulliedman have you seen this? My commissioned 4MT is the weathered 75013.
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=27336.msg500481#msg500481

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »
On the face of it I have to say that appears to be a very unsatisfactory conclusion. It almost smacks of we don't want you to have them but we don't want them ourselves. Has the society really binned something that was of use to all of the n gauge community The only people to lose out are those who want to make and detail there own models and IMHO this is just a follow on from the get someone to make it for you and then buy it trend that appears to be entering the hobby rather than the do it yourself approach.

I cannot comment on the thinking behind the decision, which I assume was taken by the Committee in the best interests of the Society and the hobby.

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »
My understanding is that the relationship with Modelmaster wasn't working (see the various complaints on here and elsewhere) so the NGS reluctantly decided to take them back in house.

Again my understanding (not necessarily accurate!) is that dispose of is meant in the sense that they will be sold off and given the rather large stocks of transfers and nameplates I doubt the NGS will run out any time soon.  My read is that once those stocks are exhausted then they won't be replaced (as the reality is that there are better ways of producing transfers in the current age). I don't think anything is being disposed of in the sense of thrown away.

Cheers, Mike

Offline zopadooper

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

As a former committee member (whether Alan or Gill as you both use Zopadooper forum name)  that you would want to spread such false information unless you have an axe to grind.
[/quote]

I am sorry if I (Alan) misinterpreted what I believed to be the situation, based on what I had read and been told.  No, I don't have an axe to grind

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
Hi

Andy

Any have you had a look here to see if your wagons are covered?

https://www.ngsjoin.com/ngs-transfers-not-modelmaster-26-c.asp

I think the NGS team are getting on top of it all now as promised in recent communications. 
Last Monday I ordered a couple each of Macaw C and Bogie Bolster E kits (both include transfers) and some Mica B transfers to complete some old kits.  They  arrived in the post yesterday and I am very impressed with all aspects: very well done and a big "thank you" to all the volunteers involved in restoring the process.   

Pete
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:17:29 PM by Dizz »

Offline Bulliedman

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »
Thanks Pete

I accept that these are available and usable, however there are other kits out there, Foxhunter, Peco, BH Enterprise, GRA to name but a few and it seems a bit short sighted to take the decals off Modelmaster and then when the stocks have gone just bin them. I accept that the Society would wish to sell off stocks first but why not just pass the rights to them on to someone else when the stocks are gone.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything