!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!  (Read 3799 times)

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
I agree. Definitely do not overdo the greenery. Do it a bit at a time and take time to see how it looks.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »
Added a couple of yard lights on the retaining wall and laid the yard's gravelled area. It all looks a bit fresh and clean so I'll add some weeds and maybe a couple of climbers up the retaining wall. I may even weather the gravel a little to make it look a bit more grubby.
Definitely coming alive...  :greatpicturessign:
I'm still not 100% decided on exactly where to put the controls and what to do with the front corners so I'm happy to hear any thoughts or ideas.
Controls...
where: just beneath the point
type: something like this: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/railway-points-lever.html
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
type: something like this: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/railway-points-lever.html

I do like the idea of something like that. My only issue is height. The lid of the bread bin is curved so I lose height quite quickly with it being so close to the front. Does such a thing exist "off the shelf" in n gauge?
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2019, 08:38:01 AM »
Not much to report today as I spent most of last night picking bits of gravel off of the track everywhere that the a rogue piece of ballast tried to escape and scupper the shunter!

I did put some temporary power onto the yard lights though just to check the effect;

I also mocked up the "control panel" which gave me a few ideas...... hopefully more to follow in the next few days.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:05:58 PM by Pjlons83 »

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »

I do like the idea of something like that. My only issue is height. The lid of the bread bin is curved so I lose height quite quickly with it being so close to the front. Does such a thing exist "off the shelf" in n gauge?
Looking at your last pic... why not place it  in the front right corner? Using bowden rods and angle connectors to move the point. The angle connectors can also be used to provide the necessary ratio...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2019, 09:04:04 PM »
Wow! Almost a whole year since my last meaningful update! I may have said this before but I feel I should publicly apologise to anybody that has spent years on their layouts.... when I first started this hobby I used to think "How can it take them so long" and "Mine will be finished much quicker".... hmmm that didn't quite work out like that did it. I'm trying to think of some old quote about the journey being more important than the destination; I'm sure you know the one I mean!  :sorrysign:

Anyway; Over the last few weeks I've tentatively taken the bread bin down from the shelf and started working on it (mostly just staring at it really). For anyone that read my post in the layout planning section you'll know I have a plan to rejuvenate my "main" layout and bring it back to life, but first I'd like to get this one finished to make room in the storage area of the playroom that I've commandeered successfully without anyone noticing.

It started with some painting of the sky areas. Just black for now but will add some deep blue later (it's a night time scene remember); 

Whilst this was an essential step that I always needed to do at some point, it threw up yet more challenges like; How do I get the slats back in and stuck together to work like the original sliding front? How do I get the baseboard in and out without scuffing the paintwork? How do I get my sausage fingers in to do the wiring with knocking the buildings down? and then there was the issue highlighted very early on about how to rescue a stranded train from behind the wall at the back..... An hour in the garage this evening and all (well... most) are now solved. I basically got brave and attacked it with a jigsaw, hammer and chisel!

Firstly I removed the bottom of the bread bin completely;

This solved the issue of scuffing paintwork with the baseboard. Now the whole thing slides over the top of the baseboard. I just need to figure out a way of fixing it now from the bottom (and out of site).

It also gave access to extend the slots on the side walls where the slats sit. From the open bottom I could now extend the slots so that the slats can be slid in as one piece once they're painted and linked back together;

Before;

After;

In the earlier image you can also see that I've cut a letter box in the back to provide rescue access! The entire back will be covered over by a new removable sheet of thin play to close it up later. 

After all that excitement I thought it was only right that I share my progress and bring this thread back to life in the hope that it spurs me on to keep tinkering. I've bought a few electronic bits and bobs so when they arrive I can really get going with the controls. Before then I need to mechanise the point switch and maybe do some more painting and somehow join the slats back up. All in all it's been a productive couple of hours. If I get more time over the weekend then I plan to add some weathering and a touch of greenery to the walls and yard before drilling holes in the board for the building lighting and fixing the buildings in place. Now that the shell and the baseboard can be treated independently until the very end it gives me much more freedom to do jobs in any order.

Thanks all for reading and fingers crossed it's not another 10 months before the next update!  :NGF: :beers:

edit; sorry if anyone is feeling dizzy; I'm not why some images have turned sideways  :doh:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 09:06:29 PM by Pjlons83 »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »
Hi and glad your back to life,

Have a successful Weekend doing stuff and looking forward to your progress.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »
I wondered where the bread bin layout had gone. I like the idea  of having the baseboard separate for now - should make things easier all round.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2019, 07:09:24 AM »
Good to see you back. Your removable bottom should make things much easier.  :-[

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2019, 07:30:08 AM »
Great to see the Great Bread Bin Challenge back on track.
I wish you  luck with the continuation of the project.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »

The entire back will be covered over by a new removable sheet of thin play to close it up later. 

How very posh. Most of us use ply but it seems one has 'play' :D ;)
On a serious note, though, I'm looking forward to the next update

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2019, 02:16:40 PM »
Most of us use ply but it seems one has 'play' :D ;)

You got me!  :-[

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2019, 10:38:23 AM »
Whilst I wait for more electrical parts to arrive I've been doing a bit of tinkering. Mostly I've been distracted by how badly the shunter is running but I did take the camera out the other night as I wanted to do some experimenting on the side wall "backscenes".

This is by no means the final version but it's enough to tell me that I like the idea and I think I can make it work. More effort needed on the photography and a good quality print on a less shiny surface would vastly improve it but was good to see it in position.

I'd be keen to hear any thoughts and experiences of using photographs for backscenes. 

« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:52:41 AM by Pjlons83, Reason: The image appears the right way up on my PC but not in the post. If anybody knows how to fix it then I\'d be very appreciative. »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

Advertise Here