!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!  (Read 8097 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
Iíd like some thoughts please on the layout choice. I spent some time last mockingbthings up and Iíve been experimenting with road surfaces. Iíve decided that thereíll be a large paved area in front of the offices and behind the factory.

Across the back Iíd like the metcalfe tunnel and retaining wall. Iíve mocked it up here with paper just to check it fits. (Sorry for the rubbish pic. It was late!);

I like it as it will add height and provide a scenic break. The right hand side will just have a whole cut in the retaining wall hidden by the office block so Iím effect the track just ďdisappearsĒ behind the building. It also give me the chance to add a little detail on the road surface at high level for some interest.

The question is; will the red brick tunnel and retaining wall be too overpowering with too much red brick and will the stone effect version look odd as it wonít match?

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »
If you wheather the wall and add some dirt... then it can become rather dark redddish grey... and in the dark will just give a sinister, grim look

The stones... why should they not fit... if the retainig wall is older than the factory... they can be of different materials
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
The stones... why should they not fit... if the retainig wall is older than the factory... they can be of different materials
I agree with the idea of a stone wall.  There's no reason for the factory and the wall to be made of the same material.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »
I like the idea of the whole thing being built in red brick - particularly if you can add a bit of weathering. In fact, Iíd add a couple of small single storey railway related buildings (eg a parcelís office) as well. I think creating a slightly crowded feel will work well.
What are you going to do on the two sides?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2018, 01:16:33 PM »
Thanks all. I just wish I could visualise it better. Iíll keep thinking.

What are you going to do on the two sides?

Well where the yellow lorry is facing thereíll be a level crossing so the right hand front corner will be a roadside scene with maybe a grass verge and then a road disappearing through the right hand edge. I bought a footbridge to put over the track and end next to the office block but itís designed for platform height so it wonít work. I only need the left hand side steps so I toyed with the idea of using the right hand set to extend to make it higher but Iím not confident enough in making a good job of it. I should think about a pedestrian crossing somewhere I guess.

The left hand side behind the factory Iím thinking of a yard crane next to the end of the spur.  The front left corner is undecided. I need to fit the control switches somewhere so this may be where they end up.

I also have a weighbridge and hut that I could fit somewhere but I just couldnít get it to work. If thereís room in the left corner Iíve thought about a caravan/trailer-style snack van for the factory workers. That would be a fun scene to create.

Lots of ideas but I just need to start making decisions!  :doh:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:18:49 PM by Pjlons83 »

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:05 PM »
Hi Paul, enjoying watching this layout developing  :thankyousign:

Have you considered brick colours other than red? Lighter colours might help to brighten up the inside of the bin. Redutex do an excellent range of coloured brick sheets.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2018, 09:00:08 PM »
Hi Keith,

Thank you. And itís great to hear that youíre enjoying the process. It really does spur me on to make a good job of it. With regards to brick colours the honest answer is that Iím just not confident enough yet to scratch build. Having built the metcalfe factory I was really impressed and out of any kit or prebuilt items that Iíve considered for the back of the layout - the metcalfe options fitted the best. They do the red brick and stone version so that was my choice.

Iím sure Iíll attempt scratchbuilding in the future but for now Iíll be sticking with kits or models.  :thankyousign:

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »
This evening has seen probably the most daunting (for me) element begin. After considering lots of flooring options and watching many YouTube tutorials it was time to stop procrastinating and lay some concrete! Taking advice from this great forum led me to the decision of paving the entire factory area all the way up to the track bring it up to track height.

This led me to a couple of annoying niggles that needed solving; first of all the head room is critical on the office block. Itís already positioned central to the layout so that it fits within the high point of the bread-bins arc shape but there really isnít many millimetres to spare. The second issue being I had no building materials that I could easily match to the exact height of the top of rail. Thanks to an Everard Junction video I had my method decided so firstly I layed matchsticks around the edge of the paved area;

Then the messy (but oh so fun) part began;

After it was all levelled with as little overspill as possible  :doh: I left it to harden slightly before using the scalpel to cut a line on the inside of the matchsticks to make their removal easier once the plaster has properly hardened;

This is how it will no remain until the next evening I get time to play and I can remove the matchsticks and then lay more plaster between this level section and the track (including the crossing). This part will have a slight gradient but I think it will work well. Doing it in 2 parts means I have a nice level area for the buildings and yard area and it also limits the height of the office block slightly.

Fingers crossed it will work out fine otherwise itíll be a horrible cleaning up job!  :o

Thanks
Paul

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
With the matchsticks removed and the buildings test-fitted in position Iím going to mark this one down as a success!!

And hereís a shot to show you the clearance of the office block roof on the slats of the sliding lid;

It fits!  :beers:

The area between the track and the factory will be filled with ballast and the area to the right will be concreted with a slight incline to the rail height all the way up to the rail. To the right of the point will be the level crossing..... but thatís for another day!

8)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
Job's a good 'un. Personally I'd stick with the red brick for the retaining wall and bridge but weather it all as others have suggested. I don't think it will all be too much :no:

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 10:01:45 PM »
Not many words to add tonight but I thought I should share a picture of the completed ďconcreteingĒ. After a light sanding itíll be time to test the track again (with the level crossing in mind) and then start adding some colour.

I am rethinking the front-right hand corner. I had imagined the road disappearing to the right but I changed my mind as it just didnít work. Iím happy for any ideas if anyone has any. I could just put the controls there and create a scene on the left only.......

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 10:12:04 AM »
I would suggest just a small lamp/tool hut maybe for point maintenance/cuppa/ciggie etc

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 10:29:44 AM »
a tree with a bench to sit two of the little people (retired) discussing the goo' ole times ... maybe a dog barking at the train

The idea: the complete contrast between the busy sinister factory scene in the center... and a bright, colofull et peacefull scene of the two retired factory-workers chatting away
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:32:15 AM by AlexanderJesse »
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2018, 07:20:16 AM »
An allotment or small park?

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2018, 12:57:26 PM »

Rusty rails and painted concrete! Iím not sure the picture does it justice but I brushed some watered-down sand colour over the grey to break it up a bit. I think it works well. ĎElf & Safety suggested a fence around the factory path beside the spur so thatís currently in construction.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal