!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: "Gold Hill" - A micro-layout..... In a bread bin!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 11:02:21 PM »
Track laying “proper” has commenced. I had a practice fit of the point in the test track board and I’m so glad I did as it was a disaster! There was too much tension in the curves for insulated couplers to hold it as the curve started so close to the join. In the end I went with metal joiners and soldered them too for strength. I’ll break the loop along the back straight where the tension is less and it also won’t be visible.

Once glued and screwed down I made a start on screwing down the curves.

And this is how I’ve left it for the night;

I’m not sure how I’m going to cut to the 2 sides to length accurately and add the IRJ’s. I’ve been cutting the track with my trusty Lidl “Dremel” tool which is working well but getting the last joiners in anywhere on the loop is tricky. Hopefully I’ll dream something up in the night or the knowledge of the NGF will come up with a neat solution before track laying commences at some point tomorrow......  :helpneededsign:  :NGF:

In other news my 16v power supply arrived so I was able to test the point and all is well. As this is my first ever point that was good to see!

Thanks for looking
Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline kiwi1941

• N Gauge Society Number: 11394
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 06:02:52 AM »
As far as electrics go, this is a great controller ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG2LUOq2iTM
I agree - a great system. B
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »
Progress has slowed this week but the track is now all layed and I have attempted the first test runs. Over the last couple of weeks I have been working in the kitchen in the evenings but SWMBO had had enough of the “mess” so last night was a tidy-up-the-mancave night.

Even by my standards it was just too messy to work on the bench;

So with the tidying done I had everything set up on the bench and soldered some droppers and wired the track switch. All was well until I switched the point (manually for now) and everything stopped. I wouldn’t like to know how many YouTube hours I’ve put in learning about fitting points and asking questions on this forum; but none of that mattered last night as I still made a glaring error - I soldered the droppers on the wrong side of the IRJ’s!  :doh:

All good experience (that’s what I’m telling myself anyway)! By the time I’d realised it was just too late in the evening so that will be tonight’s job. It’s looking a little rough but all on the back of the loop that won’t be visible so I’ll leave it as it is. For a simple loop it was a real pain to lay. The tension in the curves either side of the point made it difficult so I really don’t want to re-lay it.  Fingers crossed once the new droppers are in it’ll be running well and ready for the spur (or is it “head shunt”?) section. If there’s room I’ll add a buffer stop to the end. I accidentally purchased another item of rolling stock last night so I’d like to have the full set to offer up before committing to the length of track on this part.

I’ve also changed the layout “plan” in my head so if I get time I’ll post up some ideas and ask the good members of the NGF for opinions.

I’m learning this week that newborn babies are not good for mental capacity as the lack of sleep is somewhat limiting my thinking time! It’s a good job she’s cute!!

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »
Hi Paul,

"I don't know how many You Tube hours I've put in ....."

Ha, so it was you who wore out you tube last night  :D :D

A bit late (sorry) but many congratulations to you and your partner on the arrival of  your new daughter  :laugh2: :heart: :laugh2:

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:13:18 PM by Phoenix »

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:58 PM »
Wanting to stay positive I will say that I had a mixed night tonight on the layout and I learned a lot;
  • It's too fast even at 9v. Speed control is not only needed for aesthetics but to slow it down before stopping on the spur. (The uncoupling towards the end of the video was completely unintentional).
  • The tight inner curve works.
  • There is enough space for the loco to pass parked wagons.
  • I need more practice soldering

https://youtu.be/eqac-de9AYo

The big lesson was not to rush the electrics; even if it is only temporary;

I fried the point motor!  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Although it may seem a bit drastic I have decided to start again. I now need a new point motor but I'd also had an issue with the point earlier; HERE so I'll fit a new point too. Generally it all looks a bit rough so I'm hoping I can do a neater job second time round having practiced already  :-[ .

I have to say that I thought I'd chosen a simple little project but it's working out to be quite a challenge. I'm enjoying the process and learning loads which is the main thing! 

Thanks for reading :beers:
Paul

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 11:08:33 PM »
Why not eliminate the point motor and use a mechanical solution?
On a micro layout with such a limited number of points mechanics would simplify much. Eg you would need the high voltage for the point... only the 6 to 9 volts for the loco. And that is much easier to provide  with batteries...

In your case a bowden cable from remote control aircrafts would do the job as well (if not even better)...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »
Why not eliminate the point motor and use a mechanical solution?

That’s a fair point and something I will consider. Annoyingly it was all wired and working fine. It was only when I went to mount the switch on a temporary plate that bare cable twisted into the tabs at the back of the switch shorted.

Lots to think about now. I may give myself a few days off to consider things.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 07:58:24 AM »
Looking good. As you say rather frantic action, not very restful, but the loco looks very stable.  :uneasy:

However, it works really well.  :thumbsup:

I had a play with a spare piece of flexi track, 9 inch diameter is really small. I appreciate the problems you are having with tension in the track!

I agree that manual point operation may be simplest. Either wire in tube or “moving scenery” operation would work well.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:02 AM »
Congratulations on the arrival of your new daughter. Put the layout on the backburner...  more important things to think about at the moment!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2018, 03:31:46 PM »
Great re-use of a bread bin, I like it :) Sorry to hear about the point motor.

An alternative to bowden / wire-in-tube type actuators is a push-pull rod. My Heath Robinson prototype used a bamboo skewer and staple.  (skewers can usually be found in a room somewhere in the house, I think it is called a kitchen ? :) )

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
Just as an aside - a premium loaf that was popular in the 1960s was called 'Prairie Gold'.  So if you ever thought of running a 2-6-2 tank....
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 07:22:11 PM »
Just as an aside - a premium loaf that was popular in the 1960s was called 'Prairie Gold'.  So if you ever thought of running a 2-6-2 tank....

And I think that Oxford Diecast makes a nice 'Mother's Pride' van...

Sorry!
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
,,, So if you ever thought of running a 2-6-2 tank....
Ohhh the temptation !  :thumbsup:

and I have been looking at bread bins on ebay as well ;)

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 07:59:50 PM »

Now you’ve made me google it and we all know that googling train “toys” is expensive!!  :help:

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »
I like the pokey stick idea (I assume that’s the correct technical term for it?). I’ve been sketching ideas and thinking of ways to make something like that work.

I was bidding a few weeks ago on a set of n gauge vehicles that included a mother’s pride van. It went too high in the end but it look rather nice.  :thumbsup:

I’ll leave it a week or 2 before ordering more bits. I’ve got loads of ideas in my head so I’ll play around with them a bit before deciding.

Thanks for all the comments.
Paul

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations