!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tangmere  (Read 1980 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Re: Tangmere
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2019, 01:25:55 PM »
The #4 points are a thought, but keep seeing that they don't work perfectly. Will do some research, using the #4 points do resolve the space issue, using the #6 the space is probably 40mm which would probably be ok.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2019, 02:40:34 PM »

The #4 points are a thought, but keep seeing that they don't work perfectly.

barneyadi,

When I took (the great) decision to change to Kato Unitrack, I had read all the reports of the troublesome #4 points. I decided therefore to only use #6s and have experienced zero problems with them.
In more recent times I added a single crossover which in effect is a pair of back to back #4s. No problems to report I'm glad to say.
The double crossover is like a pair of #6s back to back while still maintaining the 33mm centres. The only downside is its a tad expensive!

The 33mm dimension is important. you'll notice that the curved pieces go up in 33mm steps e.g. 249, 282, 315 etc. Planning your track layout is easier if you try to stay "on grid".

This will help ............

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33475.0

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »

The #4 points are a thought, but keep seeing that they don't work perfectly.

barneyadi,

When I took (the great) decision to change to Kato Unitrack, I had read all the reports of the troublesome #4 points. I decided therefore to only use #6s and have experienced zero problems with them.
In more recent times I added a single crossover which in effect is a pair of back to back #4s. No problems to report I'm glad to say.
The double crossover is like a pair of #6s back to back while still maintaining the 33mm centres. The only downside is its a tad expensive!

The 33mm dimension is important. you'll notice that the curved pieces go up in 33mm steps e.g. 249, 282, 315 etc. Planning your track layout is easier if you try to stay "on grid".

This will help ............

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=33475.0

Alec.

Thanks Alec

Just been doing some track laying and going to stick with the #6 points as can get track spacing to 37mm, and maybe can shave off a little more. Now need to sort out how to make plan DCC and how many joiners I will need.

I believe I need to insulate all the point ends, so would need a power joiner on each line in station, one on each side of layout and two in the fiddle yard at the top, along with more joiners. If anyone can confirm, that would be most helpful.

Dave

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2019, 01:50:58 PM »
Have decided to go with the plan using #6 points, a single line with a passing loop at the station. plan below. Have ordered some more track and power cables so hopefully will get them in a few days.

So I am going to use this time to plan scenery. My main concern is for the station platforms. I believe the top of the platform is 6mm above the top of the rail. That I can do, but believe with the wider moulder track the platform might be too far away so need to come up with a plan to get a closer. Got a couple of ideas but if anyone else can recommend a way, that would be most helpful. also as some of the track is in an embankment, need to find out there usual height and width and plan accordingly.

Centre of layout will be a village type area and there maybe a river. Although track will be level think it will be important for other areas to be on different levels to give eyes a different view.

Cheers

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
Hooray, track I needed has arrived today and the gap between the twin track area is 33mm and looks fine to me, so that is a bonus. In the pictures, the white pieces of paper on the right are possible station sizes, I thought they would be bigger but shows what just cutting out the rough size can help.

So next step is to get scenery and track height finalised so that will be fun. Good to finally be moving forward, might do a test run just in case but sure things will run smoothly.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 11:40:44 AM »
Hi all

Can anyone let me know if you think the platform is wide enough? it is 26mm which is 3.8 metres. Sounds right for a small country station but wanted to double check.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2019, 07:01:55 PM »
26mm is fine.

According to the rules you could get away with half that!

This chart is very useful.......

https://www.elginmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/2010/articles/advice/standard-railway-modelling-dimmensions.html

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2019, 05:58:03 PM »
 Does anyone know if having a point into a station after the level crossing is done or has been done in the real world?

Offline LowerQuadrant

• Rose-an-Grouse - a small junction in Cornwall
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »
Does anyone know if having a point into a station after the level crossing is done or has been done in the real world?

Nice project! Let me turn your question around: why shouldn't this be done? As long as you find a good reason, such as lack of space. Imagine some massive structures on one side of the street that were already there before the railway was even built. They couldn't tear them down and wouldn't divert the street. There was only enough space for a single track. Period. So, the point had to be installed after the level crossing.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2019, 05:18:53 PM »

Nice project! Let me turn your question around: why shouldn't this be done? As long as you find a good reason, such as lack of space. Imagine some massive structures on one side of the street that were already there before the railway was even built. They couldn't tear them down and wouldn't divert the street. There was only enough space for a single track. Period. So, the point had to be installed after the level crossing.

That's is very true . Thanks.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
Hi All

Apologies for lack of updates but been having a major rethink of things. Having sat and watched lots of youtube videos i have come to the conclusion that i get most joy from just watching trains run around the track, stopping at a station every now and again. Probably sounds boring to some (ok most) but think is best way forward for me. I love the Tangmere print so still going to use that as a basis for the layout, with adjustments where necessary. Track is all put together, hope to do a little test run in next few days and go from there.

Dave

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »
I agree.  There are model builders who run trains on the models they build and train operators who build a model for the trains to run on.  I'm definitely one of the latter.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2019, 02:02:29 PM »
So today has been a good day. Got power leads in the post yesterday and connected to one of the tracks. Used my gaugemaster controller and the trains run. Yippee. So today connected up the point motors to the controller and the points work to. Electrics have always help me back but must admit that using Kato track has made things very simple.

So next steps is to fit the track down, put 3mm cork against the edge and add ballast to make the Kato track look better. And then sort out the scenery, the usual what,where and how high argument.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »
So having got hold of a foam cutter today, have had a play at cutting a part of the scenery on my layout. Im planning to put the scalescenes castle on top. I think 50mm is high enough but any views/tips much appreciated.

Dave

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything