!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tangmere  (Read 1772 times)

Online cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tangmere
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 09:08:24 PM »
 :hellosign:  Never say never to "N" Gauge, Kato is a good choice IMO
     regards Derek.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:28 AM »
Having lost all my drive, I was on the point of giving up

Good to see you surface, Dave! Was wondering where you'd got to.

I can see the appeal of double track from an operating point of view, but - for me - it comes with a huge increase in cost and necessary development time. For me, single track, doubled through the station, does what I need but obviously your mileage may vary!

As for Unitrack (my preference) my plan at the moment is to embed the track in the landscape so that the track itself is about level with the immediately adjacent ground level using cork trackbed to raise the ground to the shoulder of the Unitrack (if that makes sense).

I'm not much further forward than when we last exchanged ideas. The plywood for the baseboard has been moved to my workshop (from the front hallway where it had annoyed Mrs W for months) but I still haven't found my mojo for firing up the bandsaw. This week, I hope!!!

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
Having lost all my drive, I was on the point of giving up

Good to see you surface, Dave! Was wondering where you'd got to.

I can see the appeal of double track from an operating point of view, but - for me - it comes with a huge increase in cost and necessary development time. For me, single track, doubled through the station, does what I need but obviously your mileage may vary!

As for Unitrack (my preference) my plan at the moment is to embed the track in the landscape so that the track itself is about level with the immediately adjacent ground level using cork trackbed to raise the ground to the shoulder of the Unitrack (if that makes sense).

I'm not much further forward than when we last exchanged ideas. The plywood for the baseboard has been moved to my workshop (from the front hallway where it had annoyed Mrs W for months) but I still haven't found my mojo for firing up the bandsaw. This week, I hope!!!

I have still to decided if I should do DC or DCC, although it seems very straight forward with Kato track. As my locos have a decoder fitted, I suppose I can go either way. I have two points and levers already so only expense would be for points in the fiddle yard if I went that way. Just seeing trains go around will please me. Seems lots of good ideas how to blend in the Kato track so will do some reading first before piling in. I seem to have lost the Kato controller and power leads, but can get ones online but might use either my gaugemaster Dc one of my NCE powercab for DCC anyway, so just some power leads I think I need.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 02:59:08 PM »
It's good that you're beginning to see your way forward again.  :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 09:34:54 AM »
Only issue with the Kato track is spacing when using points so might be more realistic looking to just do double track

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 02:09:21 PM »
This is the problem i am having. Using points leaves me a much wider gap where double track looks better.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
Could it be that Unitrack was aimed at Japanese/U.S. modellers who maybe have longer rolling stock requiring a wider spacing than we British are used to?
Just a thought that has blown across my brain cell like a wee cloud :hmmm:

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 10:22:42 PM »
Could it be that Unitrack was aimed at Japanese/U.S. modellers who maybe have longer rolling stock requiring a wider spacing than we British are used to?
Just a thought that has blown across my brain cell like a wee cloud :hmmm:

Could definitely be. Makes perfect sense. Might go the double track way as just doesn't look right with the points.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
Well been thinking of a way forward. Double track would look ok but in a rural setting not sure it has the right feel. And the points just don't look right. I was looking at a line in south west Scotland which was a single line with a point into goods yard. Very simple I know but think it might be best way forward. Then have two or three lines in fiddle yard.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
Well this is latest plan.

Its not the most exciting track plan but is only a small station, although might try and work the siding slightly differently.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »
This is a plan of the station for a south west Scotland station, a quiet one of course. Operationally it wouldn't be the most stimulating but I can see trains run, lots of scenery and building practice as well, without the stress of electrics.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »
Well still no further forward with my decision. Part of me likes the single track plan, and the other part likes the double track plan. Not sure how to break the deadlock just yet. I suppose a small station and village could have a double line which could make more sense. Decisions, decisions!!!

Any ideas most welcome.

Offline acook

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »
If the point is moved to be part of the curve you can play with the length of the short bit between the point and curve to reduce the distance between tracks.
May need a bit of juggling to make it match both ends but its an idea.

Alan

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
If the point is moved to be part of the curve you can play with the length of the short bit between the point and curve to reduce the distance between tracks.
May need a bit of juggling to make it match both ends but its an idea.

Alan

Thanks Alan

Had a little play and came up with plan below. Would need minot adjustment but the Kato track does seem to have some small movement in it.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2019, 10:28:16 PM »
This is the problem i am having. Using points leaves me a much wider gap where double track looks better.

Its because you are using #6 points. If you want to maintain the 33mm spacing of double track there are three ways to achieve it.

Use a single or double crossover or #4 points.

Study the diagram. Hope it helps.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything