New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 2/4EPB's 415's and 416's  (Read 943 times)

Offline nobby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21612
    • Awards
Re: 2/4EPB's 415's and 416's
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:35 PM »
as much as i like n gauge british trains, the way the mainstream manufactures work in this gauge sometimes defies belief i my opinion and i can see why the likes of revolution trains and others are gaining ground.
first of all farish produce a 4 cep unit after telling us for years that muitiple units /overhead electrics dont sell ,  a strange choice to test the market to say the least and a 2 epb or 4 cig  would have been better for the sheer choice of liveries if nothing else, then after 5 years announcement out of the blue a class 319 now either bachmann farish have a really long game plan and i am talking decades here or it was just to shaft a new groups unit to the market  , which lets be fair about this they could have chosen just about anything else. i remember talking to bachmann at warley in 2011 and they were talking about developing the market in the electrics , and funny enough i hear the same about pre big 4 so i will hold my breath and see what happens because i am certainly not going to spend my money on secr stock to get burnt again.

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 07:34:33 AM »
Bachmann boobed by introducing the 4-CEP as their entry Southern EMU, which only ran in that format until 1980 so missed out on NSE and all the later TOC liveries. A Class 421 4-CIG would have been a much better choice and could still be offered in the all-important BR Green and last right up until the Electrostar age. A CIG would have real crowdfund potential.

Until then, there's always vinyl....;-)
I know, I need to be brave. What would be really useful is a "how to video". What is the position re the N Trains 2 HAP and vinyl?

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
For simplicity of tooling I would suggest an MLV which is directly compatible with the 4CEP. But that is just me being selfish. My earliest memory of electric trains was being just south of Balham station with worms passing in all directions. That was the day before the Queen's coronation. In spite of living south of the river for several years in the 1970s and in the 4SUB/EPB era, the London suburban scene does not attract me. However I have long had a desire to put the Airfix SRN4 hovercraft in a scene with an imaginary interchange station not a million miles from Dover Marine/Western Docks. I'd need 4CEPs and MLVs to do that.
Actually, I think the MLV would be a good halfway house. I think the chassis would be almost right for the EPB/HAP etc.

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 09:21:24 AM »
So many grocers apostrophes in one post ;)

.....grocer's apostrophes?  ;)

Couldn't resist!

Cheers Jon  :)

As 'so many grocers' are plural should that not be "grocers' apostrophes"? :D

@Southernboy could you supply details of your EMUs please?

I think it's the apostrophes that are numerous......they could all belong to a single grocer perhaps?  :confused1:

But shouldn't you be keeping us on topic Mick?  :goggleeyes:

“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »
I'm astonished that Bachmann haven't done the 2EPB in N - it seems like such an obvious choice!  I'd love to have some 2 or 4 EPBs.

Cheers Mike

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2018, 11:31:31 AM »
Only just seen this thread.

I would have quite a few of these. I have a fleet of 4-CEPs both in green and blue-grey, and some pretend to be BEPs.
I would dearly love to have some EPBs to go with them.

Currently I have a pair of AyJay Tin Hals to do. Those will actually get done, and are quite nice, but

I don't see the point in trying to get these crowdfunded when there is an extant model in OO just waiting to be shrunk by a manufacturer who works in both scales. Best to lobby Farish i think.

Bob

Offline cutting42

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2018, 11:38:03 AM »
So many grocers apostrophes in one post ;)

.....grocer's apostrophes?  ;)

Couldn't resist!

As 'so many grocers' are plural should that not be "grocers' apostrophes"? :D

@Southernboy could you supply details of your EMUs please?

It should be "grocer's apostrophes" as grocer is possessive of the apostrophes making the apostrophe appropriate and as mentioned, the apostrophes are plural.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: 2/4EPBs 415s and 416s
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
The glorious irony of the fact I omitted the apostrophe in my first post isn't lost on me!

I would also argue that grocers' apostrophes would be fine - the grocers (plural) being possessive of the apostrophes, as opposed to a single grocer.

Either way, (and trying to drag us back on topic) we need manufacturers to make more EMUs like VEPs, EPBs and 314s. But fewer apostrophes :)

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
Ok so I will start by saying I dont model down south but I do want to see more area more readily avaliable and have zero idea what a VEP, EPB etc are.

But in general electric multiple units seems to be the ginger step kids in general, and 3rd rail powered trains are the adopted ginger step kid of N gauge.
The one get round that could help is if manufacturers really start to use some of the modern designs much more. I know Farish is with the Desiro 350/450 and the 319 (potentially 769 Bi-modals) but you also have the likes of the Electostar sets which operate on 3rd rail, overhead and even a battery power.
I know these are modern and would be of little to no interest for some people but it could be the chicken (or egg depending on how you answer that) to ignite more interest from the market and the manufacturers.

But I think right now there just isnt enough interest there for the manufacturers to justify it, I say this as I look at multiple units I would love but they are just to niche for anyone to have a gamble with just yet but unless someone does there may never be

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
Step back in time to some old green stock............

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=378.msg398810#msg398810

The expertise is available on the forum to 3D print bodies of any unit desired if sufficient quantities make it a goer but sourcing suitable chassis will be a different thing altogether :hmmm:

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
Step back in time to some old green stock............

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=378.msg398810#msg398810

The expertise is available on the forum to 3D print bodies of any unit desired if sufficient quantities make it a goer but sourcing suitable chassis will be a different thing altogether :hmmm:

I wonder if there's potential for a small range of chassis units of suitable dimensions for various kinds of multiple unit stock? Similar in concept to the Tomytec ones, which enable you to "plug'n'play" appropriate bogie sideframes and the chassis undergubbins, and have spacers to accommodate variations in length.

Disclaimer: I have little idea of the subtleties of British multiple unit chassis variations so no idea whether such a range would be remotely feasible.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Online PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 03:05:45 PM »
I wonder if there's potential for a small range of chassis units of suitable dimensions for various kinds of multiple unit stock? Similar in concept to the Tomytec ones, which enable you to "plug'n'play" appropriate bogie sideframes and the chassis undergubbins, and have spacers to accommodate variations in length.

Disclaimer: I have little idea of the subtleties of British multiple unit chassis variations so no idea whether such a range would be remotely feasible.

Hi

Taylor Precision Models did something similar to what you describe but it is sadly no longer available and also required you to assemble it.

It made into a very good running chassis and something I use for all my Southern EMUs.

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:10:08 PM by PaulCheffus »

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »

[/quote]

I think there may be potential for a hybrid solution here. A few days back a British enthusiast showed his 3D printed SNCF Z2 EMU on the French N gauge forum. Part of his 3D print includes an insert for a Tomix chassis which has been cut in two. When joined back together the chassis matches the desired bogie centre distance of the Z2.

This is his image of the joined up chassis.

Something could work for British units too, so a kit with an chassis extender (normally) and bogie sides frames would be a great adjunct to 3D printed bodies.

The Z2 EMU is always top of the N gauge polls in France, as it comes in 5 variants which share the same basic bodyshells, and scores of liveries, and runs in many regions of the country. Jouef and Piko make it in H0.

Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s I made a kit for a brass Z2 EMU. Ironically it ran on a Farish Class 158 chassis which had the correct bogie spacing, and a dreadful spring drive, with a Lima Corail coach chassis for the trailer. In those days Graham Farish supplied me with a quantity of bare chassis, at an attractive price.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:16:30 PM by woodbury22uk »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 05:59:58 PM »

Hi

Taylor Precision Models did something similar to what you describe but it is sadly no longer available and also required you to assemble it.

It made into a very good running chassis and something I use for all my Southern EMUs.

Cheers

Paul

Great chassis build and hope they run well.

Offline GrahamB

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 09:04:17 AM »
The wishlist poll on the other forum goes live on Monday http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/page/2018Wishlist refers.

The man from Farish suggested that they take note of the results.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here