New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Buffer Stop lights  (Read 194 times)

Offline B757-236GT

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24585
    • Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
Buffer Stop lights
« on: October 06, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »
I'm looking for some Buffer stop lights but the only ones i can find are the gaugemaster ones but they arent really what i'm looking for. Does anyone know of any others, ive had a look around and cant see any so thought i'd ask here.

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Buffer Stop lights
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »
British style? American?  European?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline outofgauge

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15978
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
Tn02u at cr signals is the peco - made of sleepers filled with ballast type!
Regards

Neil

Remember -this is not a practice !!
And I was Born ready .

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
That bit would help wouldnt it. UK based please. I did consider making them myself but i'm no good at this kind if thing.
Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 05:44:20 PM »
Very easy to make yourself, just get a standard buffer stop and some pre-wired red 0402 LEDs from ebay with suitable resistors for the voltage you're using.  Encase the back of the LED in a little epoxy or similar to create a lamp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-x-Pre-Wired-Red-0402-SMD-led-Lighting-Kits-Pre-soldered-Micro-LEDs-Lamps/151917626499?hash=item235eff0483:g:pAQAAOSw5IJWcr0R
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:50:09 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline B757-236GT

• Facebook
    • My blogging blog!
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 05:47:45 PM »
I'm looking more for the ones on top of a pole. I know in OO they are easily available but no one seems to do it in N. I do have someone who could do it for me but the lead time is quite long so it maybe i will have to have a go myself and see what happened. The only other option as i see it is to modify the gaugemaster ones so they run off a seperate supply rather than the track supply.

Richard

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
I'm looking more for the ones on top of a pole.

No problem, use those pre-wired ones I linked to above and run the wires through thin brass or plastic tube. At worst you might need to de-solder the resistor temporarily while you feed the wires through the tube.

If you use brass tube then you can use that for one side of the circuit and just pass one wire up through the inside, soldering one short length of LED wire to the top of the tube.

Have a go, you'll feel proud to have made them yourself!

I made the crossing lights in this photo using the brass tube and single wire method over 20 years ago.  Larger LEDs but the same idea. They're still working perfectly.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 05:58:04 PM by ntpntpntp »

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 05:57:40 PM »
Very easy to make yourself, just get a standard buffer stop and some pre-wired red 0402 LEDs from ebay with suitable resistors for the voltage you're using.  Encase the back of the LED in a little epoxy or similar to create a lamp.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-x-Pre-Wired-Red-0402-SMD-led-Lighting-Kits-Pre-soldered-Micro-LEDs-Lamps/151917626499?hash=item235eff0483:g:pAQAAOSw5IJWcr0R

Those are really bright, did you add extra resistance to tone them down?

Cheers
Dave

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »

Those are really bright, did you add extra resistance to tone them down?

Cheers
Dave

Yes I would certainly add or change the resistors to taste!   For the abnormal load project I worked on in 2016 (and which was at TINGS again this year on the german modular layout) I used something like 4k6 resistors if I remember correctly., and at least 1k resistors on the LEDs which were being driven directly from the PIC processor at 5V.  I was aiming for around 2mA through the 0402 LEDs
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 06:19:40 PM by ntpntpntp »

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »
If you can find a source of fibre optic cable you could light every buffer stop on your layout from one small red bulb :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything