!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 68597 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Globibahn SBB Layout
« Reply #2205 on: July 30, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
Update time!

The past fortnight has not been that exciting in terms of progress. Almost all my attention has been focused on the art of spray can spraying.

I had resprayed the new roof of the farm a while back, as I was unhappy with bits of micro dust which had settled on it in the middle of spraying (which I have to do outside). I've now found the remedy is to keep a lens-cleaning air blower and a small paint brush handy as I spray.

After doing all this, the new layers of paint then had a rougher finish than the other roofs on the layout, which annoyed me. This was because I had been spraying with the last paint in the can, and I didn't realise the nozzle was slightly clogged. Hence a very mat texture a bit like fine wet or dry. This did not match the barn roof, which was meant to have been built at the same time and in the same way.

So I took the whole paint job off again with wet or dry. Meanwhile Hobbycraft had run out of the desired paint of course  :D Anyway, when I could resupply I gave a fresh paint job with a new can, using the small paint brush to remove stray bits of micro dust landing on the paint.

I am now completely sick to the back teeth of spraying the farm roof  :smiley-laughing:

However I have learnt a heck of a lot about spray can painting. I'm now soaking the can nozzles overnight in iso to clean them properly.

It would be nice to progress to having an airbrush, but I don't really have a suitable habbitation for that kind of work.

In other news now, the razor saw has been ordered for the module join. I'm totally procrastinating on deciding to use flex trax versus normal R3A radi curves. Don't know why I'm finding it so hard to decide.

Progress continues at tectonic plate shift/glacial erosion (actually that's quite fast!)/ paint drying rate!  :-[

P.s. I'm also interested in lightly weathering buildings, but after putting all my effort in getting them perfect I just can't bring myself to do it. Also the look of the layout is not highly weathered.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2206 on: July 30, 2020, 11:19:26 AM »
Hi Matt. I'm a bit like you in that I like things to be as near perfect as possible and I have done exactly the same when I wasn't happy with something. Unfortunately the real world isn't perfect even in Switzerland and I wouldn't attempt to create this perceived perfection if it results in you getting frustrated with your efforts and not enjoying your modelling.
Building your layout is supposed to be pleasurable and relaxing and not an extension of the problems we all face in the real world.
John

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #2207 on: July 30, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »

Oh! *now* I get why it's called Globibahn!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2208 on: July 30, 2020, 08:16:03 PM »
Hi Matt. I'm a bit like you in that I like things to be as near perfect as possible and I have done exactly the same when I wasn't happy with something. Unfortunately the real world isn't perfect even in Switzerland and I wouldn't attempt to create this perceived perfection if it results in you getting frustrated with your efforts and not enjoying your modelling.
Building your layout is supposed to be pleasurable and relaxing and not an extension of the problems we all face in the real world.

Hi John, yes these are really true words, I do dig myself into holes with trying to perfect things and it's not remotely helpful.

Plus, once the model building is on the layout long-term, it will tend to get a bit scratched and banged about anyway accidentally from time-to-time, so even if such a thing as a 'perfect' finish was attainable, it wouldn't really last long.

I wonder if with my Güterbahnhof building I should go for making it lightly weathered just to try something new. The safer approach of course would be to do as I've done the other buildings. :hmmm:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2209 on: July 30, 2020, 08:17:21 PM »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2210 on: July 30, 2020, 08:20:40 PM »
For Globi fans! ;D

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #2211 on: July 30, 2020, 09:01:05 PM »

I wonder if with my Güterbahnhof building I should go for making it lightly weathered just to try something new. The safer approach of course would be to do as I've done the other buildings. :hmmm:

Unless you are modelling something that's really dilapidated I think the building should be constructed "as new" and weathered later.
What if you built something like a small office block at the same time as your goods shed and used that as a test bed for weathering techniques? If you don't hit on a degree of weathering that you like then you won't have ruined your main building. If you DO develop a technique then you can apply it to the rest of your buildings.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2212 on: July 30, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »

Unless you are modelling something that's really dilapidated I think the building should be constructed "as new" and weathered later.
What if you built something like a small office block at the same time as your goods shed and used that as a test bed for weathering techniques? If you don't hit on a degree of weathering that you like then you won't have ruined your main building. If you DO develop a technique then you can apply it to the rest of your buildings.

I wouldn't want to weather existing buildings, too risky! I think if doing such a building I would need to build it with being weathered in mind in advance. Good idea to do a test bed - I might at some point just make a replica of a facade and weather it up just for fun.

Drawings for Güterbahnhof starting to happen as we speak! :D As you suggest I'll make it as new.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2213 on: July 31, 2020, 07:12:40 PM »

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #2214 on: July 31, 2020, 08:22:29 PM »
Brilliant....... and the drawings are pretty good representations of Swiss locos and coaches(inside and out).
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2215 on: August 01, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »
Brilliant....... and the drawings are pretty good representations of Swiss locos and coaches(inside and out).

Agree! The book is really beautiful  :)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2216 on: August 01, 2020, 05:59:15 PM »
I got the solder iron out today and plucked up the courage to solder from underneath the baseboard! I still had 6 lights which I had lazily just twist-connected. Worked out just fine, just need to exercise extra care.

My razor saw arrived but they sent the wrong size. No problem, they immediately dispatched the correct 52 tpi micro fine one. Just look at the size difference between the general purpose 32tpi (right) and the 52 tpi (left)!

I'm getting close to lighting the farm and barn. This shows the little lift-out lid mechanism fo rthe barn, mentioned previously. This will stop the hay loft getting illuminated by accident.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2217 on: August 02, 2020, 03:42:23 PM »
More work today on the trackbed for the module.

I've actually cut the cork to the radi and will install the champfered edges seperately.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2218 on: August 02, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
Are those proper brass screws not standard DIY store plated things? Will they take solder ok?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2219 on: August 02, 2020, 05:17:46 PM »
Are those proper brass screws not standard DIY store plated things? Will they take solder ok?

Hmmm they're zinc and yellow passivated Turbodrive. May need to check if solder ok!  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal