!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 61792 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1605 on: February 08, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »
The wires on these LED strips are very chunky. Could I desolder them and replace with thinner wires?  :hmmm:

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1606 on: February 08, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »
I would be inclined to leave them alone. Whilst I can solder, I would not fancy un-soldering the wires and then soldering on a new thinner set. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 05:56:07 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1607 on: February 08, 2020, 06:46:35 PM »
The supplied wires are way thicker than needed, especially given that you're reducing the current with additional resistance.  Dead easy to un-solder and replace.   I've used thinner wire with my strips and they#'re the 9x and 12x LED lengths.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1608 on: February 08, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »
The supplied wires are way thicker than needed, especially given that you're reducing the current with additional resistance.

I thought as much. The reason I want them thinner is for installing under canopies, where the trailing wires will be harder to hide than inside a building. I'll have a go at removing them carefully.

I'm heeding Dannyboys warning though and I'll see how it goes with a test.

Cheers  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1609 on: February 08, 2020, 08:23:36 PM »
OK I've just completed the first couple. All tested and working fine!  :angel:

The station will have 5 strips, the tower has 2 and the bistro has 1. So quite a few to work through!!!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1610 on: February 08, 2020, 08:29:09 PM »
Hmm... the strips are a bit large for canopies I think.       

A couple of weeks ago I was in our local garden centre and they had some solar powered lights with long yellow filaments. I didn't buy one (despite the only working one being broken and I was tempted to offer them a pittance for it), but it got me thinking about those filaments, and sure enough I found some on ebay.  They are now winging their way from China, so assuming they may be some time getting here :-) 

They're part of a range of components called COB LEDs or "Chip On Board", where individual LED chips can be packed onto a common substrate in a multitude of different arrangements.  I'm hoping these long thin types may be something that could represent a large strip light for under a canopy. On the other hand they may be way too large or bright. We shall see, it's worth experimenting .....!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-LED-COB-Solar-Power-Filament-Super-Bright-Bulb-Light-Source-Lighting-To-HG/312889487753

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1611 on: February 08, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »
Hmm... the strips are a bit large for canopies I think.       

A couple of weeks ago I was in our local garden centre and they had some solar powered lights with long yellow filaments. I didn't buy one (despite the only working one being broken and I was tempted to offer them a pittance for it), but it got me thinking about those filaments, and sure enough I found some on ebay.  They are now winging their way from China, so assuming they may be some time getting here :-) 

Nick you are definitely at the forefront of out of the box thinking!

I was banking more on the fact that you can't really see the exact light source from the angle one views the layout from. But of course mini 'flourescent tubes' would be optimal! :thumbsup:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1612 on: February 09, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »
After lengthy discussions out in the car park, it's been decided that today's activity will be digging a hole. :D

That's great Matt. It's these small scenes that really bring a layout to life.
I have had the equipment/accessories to make a roadworks scene for ages and still not done it. Perhaps yours will spur me on.  ;)
As they are so common in the parts of Europe that we model I would also like to have some sort of construction scene with a small tower crane. I did have one once but the tower crane warped. :( I might have better luck next time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:15:13 PM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1613 on: February 09, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
That's great Matt. It's these small scenes that really bring a layout to life.
I have had the equipment/accessories to make a roadworks scene for ages and still not done it. Perhaps yours will spur me on.  ;)
As they are so common in the parts of Europe that we model I would also like to have some sort of construction scene with a small tower crane. I did have one once but the tower crane warped. :( I might have better luck next time.

Cheers John!

Yes I fully agree, the cameos give that extra added touch. Layout is still principally up on its side at the moment, as still lots of electronics tinkering going on. Rather looking forward to having it back upright again.

Also enjoying painting further figures.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1614 on: February 10, 2020, 05:47:32 PM »
Been doing more electrics today on the baseboard but also had time for a bit of motorbike work down in the garage!  :D

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1615 on: February 10, 2020, 06:33:06 PM »
It's looking good Matt but the spokes are going to be tricky. :D
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1616 on: February 11, 2020, 03:04:11 PM »
It's looking good Matt but the spokes are going to be tricky. :D

True - either 1 or 2 atoms diameter? :laughabovepost:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1617 on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
I've constructed this little Noch laser cut kit.

It will be a small kiosk for teas and ice creams, for those that can't afford prices in the hipster bar.

The need to successfully create some sun umbrellas and small tables/chairs is now pressing! But so much else to do too, especially rigging up the station lighting.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1618 on: February 12, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »
Doesn't take long for the advertising companies to make their move! :)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1619 on: February 12, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »
I've just booked my next trip away for the spring time!

I've been investigating ways to travel cheaply and came across workaway, it's a scheme where you can volunteer your manual labour services in return for food and lodgings.

The upshot is I'm going to stay for a week helping a young couple on their small organic farm in the Styrian region. Coincidentally they happen to live on the Semmeringbahn, pretty to close to Semmering itself.

So I'll be digging potatos whilst watching Railjet and Nightjet trains pass by - literally heaven!

I'll probably add on a couple of days of train travel too, going to Salzburg for hosteling etc. :claphappy:

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal