!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 61759 times)

Offline swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1515 on: January 13, 2020, 11:47:26 AM »
A job well done Matt. :thumbsup:...……...and it's even more satisfying when it works. :D
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1516 on: January 13, 2020, 04:53:47 PM »
A job well done Matt. :thumbsup:...……...and it's even more satisfying when it works. :D

Thanks John. Yes it's great it all works and such a relief not to have messy wires hanging all over the place.

So now it's generally time to turn attention to backscene and addition of further street lights (it's actually really hard planning where to put them in).

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1517 on: January 15, 2020, 12:49:10 PM »
You may remember about a year ago I had lots of incidents of 'flying trains' going over the edge of the world on my layout. My remedy was to glue a low wooden barrier around the edge of the layout. This worked well, however a particular section of it was in the way of the proposed backscene.

So today I have removed this bit of it from the rear of the layout. Not that easy - had to drill lots of holes along the base, woggle the drill left and right to get most of it off and then use the hammer and chisel and sandpaper to get it down smooth.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1518 on: January 15, 2020, 02:50:43 PM »
And here is a mockup showing proposed height of backscene.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1519 on: January 16, 2020, 02:26:38 PM »
Further to the above, just decided to remove all of the back protective barrier, came off pretty easy with the right tools!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1520 on: January 19, 2020, 06:57:09 PM »
I've finally got around to placing the street lamps outside the station. I like the lamps - these ones have incredibly fine wires though which are tricky to work with. I did do Nick's trick of soldering decent sized wires to the ends of the fine ones.

There's a run of 5 lamps outside the station front now. May also do the other side of the road too. Excuse wonkyness they're not glued in.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1521 on: January 19, 2020, 07:05:53 PM »
They look the same as the lamps I've just been installed for the fueling point in my depot.  I ran 3 of them in series off 12V with a single  1k8 resistor, as it's more efficient.  Where I've fitted one on its own I've used a 4k7 resistor.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1522 on: January 19, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
They look the same as the lamps I've just been installed for the fueling point in my depot.  I ran 3 of them in series off 12V with a single  1k8 resistor, as it's more efficient.  Where I've fitted one on its own I've used a 4k7 resistor.

Do you suggest I do the same? I only have the supplied resistors. Would it brighten them a bit? They are slightly dimmer than the mast lights (they are of course only single bulbed, while the mast lights are double).  :hmmm:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1523 on: January 19, 2020, 07:31:14 PM »

Do you suggest I do the same? I only have the supplied resistors. Would it brighten them a bit? They are slightly dimmer than the mast lights (they are of course only single bulbed, while the mast lights are double).  :hmmm:

I'm sure the supplied resistors are fine - do you know what value they are?  I prefer to dim leds down a bit, I don't like them too bright (though I did over-do it with those tower masts we're both using, so went back to the supplied 1k resistors for those  ;) )
I just thought I'd take advantage of an opportunity to save a few mA.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1524 on: January 19, 2020, 07:53:57 PM »
I just thought I'd take advantage of an opportunity to save a few mA.

I'm not sure what value the supplied resistors are. I think I'll leave them as is, to make it easier to add and remove the lamps, I'm not too worried about saving mA.

Any photos of your Bw to update us with - would be good to see a thread on it :)?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:12:37 PM by Globibahn »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1525 on: January 20, 2020, 11:14:15 PM »
Any photos of your Bw to update us with - would be good to see a thread on it :)?

You're right of course, I really must get around to creating a layout thread.

In the meantime,  I've been busy with some 0402 pre-wired LEDs, to add interest to the signal-box interior built by my good friend Nigel.  I even had to solder the wires to the green LEDs as I didn't have any pre-wired ones in my box of stuff  :D The LEDS are behind pinholes in the panel. Powered by 12V DC I'm using 4k7 resistors for red and yellow, the two green are in series with a 27k resistor to tone them down a bit!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1526 on: January 21, 2020, 07:34:43 PM »

You're right of course, I really must get around to creating a layout thread.

In the meantime,  I've been busy with some 0402 pre-wired LEDs, to add interest to the signal-box interior built by my good friend Nigel.  I even had to solder the wires to the green LEDs as I didn't have any pre-wired ones in my box of stuff  :D The LEDS are behind pinholes in the panel. Powered by 12V DC I'm using 4k7 resistors for red and yellow, the two green are in series with a 27k resistor to tone them down a bit!

Totally excellent Nick, love this!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1527 on: January 22, 2020, 03:27:02 PM »
I've just emailed Roco/Fleischmann and suggested they stop using the word 'novelties' on their English language marketing as 'New Items' would be a much preferable expression. What a big interfering know-it-all I am! :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1528 on: January 24, 2020, 11:36:56 AM »
I've finally got around to getting the backscene cut. Now to get painting!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1529 on: January 24, 2020, 04:45:06 PM »
Thought I'd also wrap the backscene around the left 'mountain' side while I'm at it. Had to pave the way by doing a bit of hacking into the mountain landscape module, as it wasn't quite flush on that side. It is starting to feel like Bahnprojekt Stuttgart/Ulm! :D

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal