!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 30380 times)

Globibahn and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1290 on: November 22, 2019, 12:11:23 PM »
@ntpntpntp what size of heat shrink do I need to sleeve over the resistors (is it just the legs or the resistor itself)? Do I need to unsolder the cables again, or will the sleeves pass over ok? Cheers Matt

er... large enough to slip over the resistor before shrinking  :D 

I just kept a stock of all the sizes Maplin had, and now whatever comes in the "assorted heatshrink" boxes that turn up in Lidl from time to time!  I'm trying to picture in my mind where I got my pack of small gauge multi-coloured shrink pieces in about 4cm lengths (I cut them down to 1cm or so for use) . Might have been at a show, might have been on the internet.

It's up to you whether you want to cover the resistor or not?  If you want to be able to see the value in future then unsolder, slip on 1cm or so of small gauge shrink just to cover the joint as that's all you actually need to protect.  For me that's too much bother, I'd rather use a longer large piece of shrink over the lot, in a meaningful colour according to the wire's function.

[edit]
There is loads of the stuff on ebay etc.

This box is similar to one I got from Lidl. Some of the sizes are quite large so may not be the best option if you only want the small stuff, but I've used them for binding loose cables and also for sleeves on decoders.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/328Pcs-Heat-Shrink-Wire-Cable-Tubing-Tube-Sleeve-Wrap-Shrinkage-Ratio-2-1-Set-UK/383076344062?epid=25031180663&hash=item59312120fe:g:uWoAAOSwqPFdPqxy
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:19:24 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1291 on: November 22, 2019, 01:48:19 PM »
Thank you @ntpntpntp !

One other thing, what do you use to make the common rail on the tag board - is it brass rod?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1292 on: November 23, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »
Thank you @ntpntpntp !

One other thing, what do you use to make the common rail on the tag board - is it brass rod?

No, I just strip back enough wire to join all the tags, tin it all and solder it to the tags.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1293 on: November 24, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »
Thank you @ntpntpntp !

No, I just strip back enough wire to join all the tags, tin it all and solder it to the tags.

Fab, I've ordered the kit in, will have some experimenting to do.

Is it 100% neccessary to flip the baseboard for this task? That could get tricky with my catenary now in place  :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1294 on: November 24, 2019, 03:14:01 PM »
Is it 100% neccessary to flip the baseboard for this task? That could get tricky with my catenary now in place  :hmmm:

Working from underneath wouldn't be my choice , not with the neck-ache it causes and the risk of hot solder dropping down on you etc.  :D

You don't have to flip totally upside down (and indeed I can't do that with most of my boards due to the catenary etc.) , but it's soooo much easier just to tip the board on edge and that's how I usually work.

Spot the 36-way tag-strips I mentioned earlier!  This was before I fitted the D-Sub connectors to them.

... those same  tag strips as they are now. I fitted 3 strips and allowed for 3 D-sub connectors even though this board has only needed 2 so far..

« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:34:56 PM by ntpntpntp »

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1295 on: November 24, 2019, 03:29:23 PM »
Pure genius @ntpntpntp !

I'll def. be able to lay it on its side.

I've opted for some 10 way tag strips as I won't be having that many connections, plus can always add extras to the power bus if needed.

Looking forward to heat shrinking, need to buy a lighter though!

Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1296 on: November 24, 2019, 03:32:39 PM »
Looking forward to heat shrinking, need to buy a lighter though!

Side of the soldering iron bit works fine, just gently offered up to the heatshrink until it does the job :-)    A lighter would set fire to the nearby stuff surely?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:40:33 PM by ntpntpntp »

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1297 on: November 24, 2019, 04:13:40 PM »

Side of the soldering iron bit works fine, just gently offered up to the heatshrink until it does the job :-)    A lighter would set fire to the nearby stuff surely?

Fab yes lighter probably not a great idea come to think of it.

I'm enjoying cleaning up my locos with the isopropyl. Amazing how much dirt can come off the inside edges of wheels, when they don't even look dirty at first glance! Def. helps running!

Matt

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1298 on: November 25, 2019, 12:10:43 PM »
The first Globibahn residents are preparing to move in!  :claphappy:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1299 on: November 25, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »
Some passengers at last!

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1300 on: November 25, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
Nicely done road markings Matt!

I got Mizzy Gizzy to do mine on Rhaetia, using the Busch/Faller markings.

Nice to see your layout progress too....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1301 on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
I got missus ntp to paint the figures on Königshafen, but that was a long time ago so I expect I'll have to do the ones for future projects myself.

Try and group figures together rather than spreading them out, it looks better.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1302 on: November 25, 2019, 06:37:12 PM »
Nicely done road markings Matt!

I got Mizzy Gizzy to do mine on Rhaetia, using the Busch/Faller markings.

Nice to see your layout progress too....

Thank you Gizzy! :thumbsup:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1303 on: November 25, 2019, 06:38:14 PM »
I got missus ntp to paint the figures on Königshafen, but that was a long time ago so I expect I'll have to do the ones for future projects myself.

Try and group figures together rather than spreading them out, it looks better.

Cheers, yes as I get more painted, I'll cluster them together more realistically.  :thumbsup:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1304 on: November 26, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
I've been doing a lot of test positioning for my mast lights, I've decided that right next to the catenary masts looks pretty good!

I was getting sick of makeshift power cables getting in the way. So I've decided to actually activate the lighting power bus so I can use that for testing, just using chocolate block connections on a temporary basis.

So here we have the little Gaugemaster circuit board sized transformer thingummy (with the red light). Annoyingly/weirdly it has no screw holes for mounting it:

Here's under the baseboard with suitcase clips coming off the lighting power bus and wires to a choc block and thence the lamp wires.

And here's above the board with new position for the first lamp. Incidentaly, one of the LEDs (there's 2 per lamp) on this lamp seems overly bright. I have 6 in all and only tried one other, which was better. Might have to quality control all of them before installing...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:51:21 PM by Globibahn »

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything