!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 21594 times)

Offline carlmt

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1005 on: August 28, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »
Cut a section of 'I' beam to the required length - 20 to 25mm or so? - it might not be so flexible when short.

Just as an experiment............

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1006 on: August 28, 2019, 08:42:02 PM »
Cut a section of 'I' beam to the required length - 20 to 25mm or so? - it might not be so flexible when short.

Just as an experiment............

Did you try Carl's suggestion Matt?
I have tried 25 -30mm lengths of both 4.8 and 4.0mm "I" beams and both seem sturdy enough. Personally, I still prefer the look of the 4.0mm size, be it "I" or "H" especially when placed in the middle of the platform. I know that the wider size probably better represents the supports in your photos but as you have pointed out the real canopy is supported to the side.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1007 on: August 28, 2019, 10:10:11 PM »

Did you try Carl's suggestion Matt?

Hi John,

I've ordered some 4mm H Beam - I'll give that a whirl and report back!

Cheers
Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1008 on: August 31, 2019, 03:57:56 PM »
Having been building an alpine railway for nearly a year, I thought it was about time I go and do some alpine rail travel!

So this Autumn I'm flying to Vienna for a week of Interrailing around Austria. I'm doing it on a budget so I'll be staying in backpacking hostels and dining in supermarkets :D, should meet lots of interesting people!

I think I'll also be able to squeeze in a Night-Jet trip, most likely between Graz and Innsbruck (in cattle class of course). My question is though,  what other railway fan must-does are there in Austria? The only thing on my to do list thus far is the Semmeringbahn.

Cheers
Matt

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1009 on: August 31, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
Well, I have a liking for the narrow gauge, so I'm going to make a slightly off the wall suggestion. I'd suggest perhaps a day out on the Mariazellerbahn from St Polten, the Krimml line from Zell am See or the Zillertalbahn and Achenseebahn from Jenbach (near Innsbruck). However, you'd need to check whether they accept the Interrail card - none of them are operated by OBB - so there could be a budget implication there (the first two used to be part of the OBB network). There are others, but those three run regular daily services and will get you into some beautiful countryside.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1010 on: August 31, 2019, 06:20:54 PM »
In addition to Bruce’s tips there is also the Schneebergbahn rack railway (which would be located near Wr. Neustadt on the Vienna–Graz line, just before you go over the Semmering) with their 19th century steam locomotives – however, last steam day for 2019 is tomorrow, so only the modern diesel trains (built by Hunslet-Barclay, BTW) after Sunday –, and the Schafbergbahn rack railway from St. Wolfgang in Salzburg, again still running with 19th century steam locos (also modern steam from the 1990s and diesels).

As Bruce hinted, Interrail is not valid on these railways but the prices are not so expensive as in Switzerland.

I would suggest that, instead of taking a Nighjet between Graz and Innsbruck, you could take the “Transalpin” which still runs with the SBB Panorama coaches. You would have to pay surcharge for 1st class for the Panorama coach – but I guess the scenery should be worth it.

https://www.oebb.at/en/regionale-angebote/steiermark/alpen%C3%BCberquerung-panoramawagen.html

The Transalpin also stops at Zell am See and Jenbach, so you could take one of the narrow-gauge trains that Bruce mentioned (and buy a 1st-class ticket for the Panorama coach for just one part of the Graz–Innsbruck journey).
Peter

Offline Garyf

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #1011 on: August 31, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »
Hi,
Innsbruck to Seefeld was used in Von Ryan's Express I believe, a nice mix of tunnels and bridges, and a short trip if you are short on time. If not continue to Garmisch Partenkirken and take the rack and pinion up Zugspitz, the highest mountain in Germany.

Gary

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1012 on: September 01, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
Great suggestions chaps!

It's a pity all those 75cm lines are privately owned now. I've made inquiries and they don't accept the interrail pass, however will be worth just buying a separate ticket methinks.

Von Ryan - total classic!! :thumbsup:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1013 on: September 01, 2019, 08:12:38 PM »
Hi Matt. The others have given you some great suggestions for your Austrian trip. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will have a great time. As I think I've said before I love Austrian railways and if I was starting again from scratch I would probably model them instead of Swiss. I have spent many a happy hour train watching mainly in the Salzburg and Innsbruck areas and the variety is far greater than you get in Switzerland nowadays. Health issues have prevented me from visiting my favourite alpine countries for nearly three years now so I am relying on you to bring back some interesting photos to show me what I'm missing.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1014 on: September 01, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
Hi Matt. The others have given you some great suggestions for your Austrian trip. Whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will have a great time. As I think I've said before I love Austrian railways and if I was starting again from scratch I would probably model them instead of Swiss. I have spent many a happy hour train watching mainly in the Salzburg and Innsbruck areas and the variety is far greater than you get in Switzerland nowadays. Health issues have prevented me from visiting my favourite alpine countries for nearly three years now so I am relying on you to bring back some interesting photos to show me what I'm missing.

Sorry to hear about your health conditions John, I hope they clear up so you can travel again!

I can't wait for the trip and am thoroughly enjoying the prior research. I'll make sure I get some good shots for you at all costs.  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Matt

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1015 on: September 01, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
I’d suggest a day trip over to Bratislava.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1016 on: September 12, 2019, 10:54:59 AM »
I've had a loft rummage and located this photo I took in 1998 of a Krokodil on display at Erstfeld station on the Gotthard. It was love at first sight  :heart2: but unfortunately I have no idea what happened to her since?!  Number is 14270

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1017 on: September 12, 2019, 11:13:46 AM »
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1018 on: September 12, 2019, 11:27:05 AM »
It's gone home Matt. :thumbsup:
https://www.krokodil-oerlikon.ch/

Fantastic - I'll have to see her again someday!  :thumbsup: :claphappy:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1019 on: September 12, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
Just for you Matt.
Two of my oldest locos. After seeing your photo I decided to give them both a run.

John

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations