!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 45645 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #960 on: August 04, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
The first run of catenary masts is in. Cheers for supplying them Carl!  :thumbsup:  8)

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #961 on: August 04, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
Looks like your catenary masts have two different lengths of registration arm (just like the old Vollmer masts I use)?    When placing masts round curves then you should place the long arm masts on the inside of the curve and the short arms on the outside.

I know you're not planning to fit actual wires, but if you were then you'd find the masts would always set the wires toward the outside of the curve so that the straight sections of wire in between are toward the inside of the curve at their mid-point.

For straight track you would alternate between short and long registration arms to create a ziz-zag in the wire.

Look at the top left diagram on this image:
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #962 on: August 04, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »
Looks like your catenary masts have two different lengths of registration arm (just like the old Vollmer masts I use)?

Ooops well noticed. Yes I've been zig-zagging around the curves as if they were straights. I had literally no idea about what you've just told me!

The masts are just PVA'ed into the bases (which are superglued), so it will be simple to change.

Thanks for pointing this out. :beers:

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #963 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
Back form hols and pleasantly surprised to find my mast lights have arrived in from China - that didn't take very long at all!

They look good - pretty sturdy plastic. Just need to test functionality. May paint them too.

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #964 on: August 13, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
Welcome home Matt. Hope you had a good holiday.
The lights look good. I particularly like the fine latticework :thumbsup:
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #965 on: August 13, 2019, 05:23:57 PM »
Welcome home Matt. Hope you had a good holiday.
The lights look good. I particularly like the fine latticework :thumbsup:

Cheers John, yes it was a grand camping/festival holiday - bit wet and windy here and there but no matter! Helpful to have some time away from the layout and trains too methinks.

Looking forward to figuring out the electriconics with these lamps - once more into the fray with my trusty soldering iron at the ready! First mystery is why they have three wires? (I definitely know that Nick will not jump in here and tell me!) :D :smiley-laughing:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #966 on: August 13, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »
First mystery is why they have three wires? (I definitely know that Nick will not jump in here and tell me!) :D :smiley-laughing:

Oh alright then, I won't  :D

Two LEDs with a common return I guess.  How many resistors come with each mast?  If one per mast then fit resistor in the common lead and join the two live leads together (they'll hopefully have calculated the values based on twice the current flow), otherwise if two per mast fit resistor to the positive leads. 

I usually try a higher value resistor anyway, to avoid such lights being too bright.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #967 on: August 13, 2019, 07:34:52 PM »

Oh alright then, I won't  :D

:laughabovepost:

Thanks Nick. They have sent enough resitors for one per lamp. No idea what their value of resistance is, as not written on them. Looks like I'll be joining the live wires together then.

I agree with you, I don't want strong lights. Where would I get higher value resitors?

Cheers
Matt

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #968 on: August 13, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
No idea what their value of resistance is, as not written on them

yea it is,just they use an ancient set of hieroglyphic called the colour code,if you look at the resistors theres  colour bands on the body of the resistor,use the table below to decode the value.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #969 on: August 13, 2019, 08:07:35 PM »

Thanks Nick. They have sent enough resitors for one per lamp. No idea what their value of resistance is, as not written on them. Looks like I'll be joining the live wires together then.

Resistors are colour coded.     There loads of websites that can help you decode or encode the colours. 
[edit] @themadhippy posted the same chart I was going to suggest :-)

Quite often you'll find something like a 1K (1000 Ohms) resistor supplied with things like this if intended for a supply of 12V ish.

Post a clear close-up piccie on here if you're still not sure and someone on here can decode it for you, or better still use a multimeter
 and measure them yourself - you DO have a multimeter don't you? :-)    They won't necessarily measure exactly what the coding says due to the tolerance in manufacture, but will be close.

I agree with you, I don't want strong lights. Where would I get higher value resistors?

Cheers
Matt

Resistors are not expensive and are easy to find on ebay, also from electronic component suppliers eg. RS Components and several others.    In the old days I've have suggested your local Maplin, shame they went under (I notice an online presence has resurfaced but seems to be more geared towards consumer electronics than components)

You might want to consider a pack with a range of values so you have various values to play with, although you may end up with some you're never likely to use!  This kind of thing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resistors-Metal-Film-300-Pack-10-each-30-values-1-4w-1-Kit-Assortment-Mix-UK/111148362636?hash=item19e0f56b8c:g:4dIAAOxyiRlSa-nO
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 08:14:08 PM by ntpntpntp »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #970 on: August 14, 2019, 08:51:53 AM »
No idea what their value of resistance is, as not written on them

yea it is,just they use an ancient set of hieroglyphic called the colour code,if you look at the resistors theres  colour bands on the body of the resistor,use the table below to decode the value.

Thank you, I never knew that!!!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #971 on: August 14, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »
I little tip:  when I have determined the value of the resistors I write the value on the little sticky strip, for future reference.   

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #972 on: August 14, 2019, 09:12:07 AM »
I little tip:  when I have determined the value of the resistors I write the value on the little sticky strip, for future reference.

Great Nick thank you for your advice, I'll report back when I've had a play!!

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #973 on: August 14, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
You're correct about the two LED's with a common return Nick.

Which wire do I solder the resistor to though -is is the joined together red leads or the black common return? :hmmm:

There are some details on the Ebay page here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LQS56N-3pcs-Model-Railway-lights-Lattice-Mast-lamp-Track-light-N-Scale-Layout/233271538339?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Can I just join it up to the 12V DC connector on my Gaugemaster combi controller?
http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=GMC-COMBI

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #974 on: August 14, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »
You're correct about the two LED's with a common return Nick.

Which wire do I solder the resistor to though -is is the joined together red leads or the black common return? :hmmm:

It doesn't matter one bit, it will work just the same either side of the LEDs.    I'd connect the resistor to the common wire just so you're not fiddling with winding two thin wires around the resistor's leg  :D

Yes you can connect to your 12V DC, just remember if they don't light up you've probably got the polarity the wrong way round!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 05:21:49 PM by ntpntpntp »

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
April Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal