!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 21761 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #840 on: June 13, 2019, 08:26:17 AM »
Test positioning my tiny bistro. Still needs lots of details adding and painting of course!

The red Fleischmann R101 depicted is now presenting some issues. It's been running beutifully with its chip since October. All of a sudden, it now operates in small pulses or surges as it runs. I've cleaned the wheels and the pickup contacts. The chip is plugged in just fine still. Any ideas what might be up?  :hmmm:

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #841 on: June 13, 2019, 08:35:45 AM »
The bistro looks great. Can't help with the loco, unfortunately!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #842 on: June 13, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »
The bistro is great. Fantastic roof shape - very stylish.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #843 on: June 13, 2019, 08:47:05 AM »
The bistro looks great. Can't help with the loco, unfortunately!  :thumbsup:

Thank you!  :)

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #844 on: June 13, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »
Any ideas what might be up?  :hmmm:

A little piece of ballast stuck somewhere in one of the gears in a truck / bogie maybe ?

steve

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #845 on: June 13, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
The bistro is great. Fantastic roof shape - very stylish.

Thanks Port Perran!

Yes I love they style too. The building prototype has a really interesting history too. It was built in the 1950s as the entrance office to the SLM loco works in Winterthur. It's been converted quite recently into a bistro bar. The owners really helped me by sending photos from all angles!

Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #846 on: June 13, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »
Is the 101 doing quick judders or longer moments of slow and surge? Any unusual noises from the loco - screeches etc.?  Might be time for a very light lube of some bearings.  Fleischmann locos don't usually suffer from split gears (though I have had one gear failure) but it could be a grain of ballast in the works as @retica suggested.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #847 on: June 13, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
Love the bistro Matt. A great unique addition to your layout.
Could the problems with your 101 be caused by dirty track? Dust and fibres from furnishings can give problems on layouts that are in living accommodation.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #848 on: June 13, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »
Is the 101 doing quick judders or longer moments of slow and surge? Any unusual noises from the loco - screeches etc.?  Might be time for a very light lube of some bearings.  Fleischmann locos don't usually suffer from split gears (though I have had one gear failure) but it could be a grain of ballast in the works as @retica suggested.

Hi Nick,

I had another look around the wheels and did discover some pockets of built up fibres (must be from furnishings as John pointed out) collecting between the traction tyre wheels and brake shoes. Though satisfying to remove, seems that wasn't the cause of the problem I'm afraid.

The loco is making smooth movements of slow and surge. It is still running very quietly and no unpleasant noises at all.  :hmmm:

I'll clean the track again (although this was done already quite recently).

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #849 on: June 14, 2019, 09:36:16 AM »
I've taken apart the BR101. Found some minor dirt deposits here and there which I've cleaned. But problem with smooth surges still persists...

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #850 on: June 14, 2019, 09:57:48 AM »
Cheers Nick, feedback always useful.

Hey Matt, one reason for these Hobbytrain (made by Ajin) models when they run hot could be that the chassis halves are screwed too tight together which can hinder the whole drive mechanism from run freely. Undo the screws, use a small screw driver to go between the chassis halves to pry them apart a bit, screw them back together but only loosely, let it run for a while and see if they still run hot.

steve

You genius Steve!

I did this trick on the squeeky BR112 and it's totally stopped the squeek! :bounce: I can't believe it - it had been driving me bonkers! I'll do it to the BR110 next to see what happens.

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #851 on: June 14, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »

You genius Steve!

I did this trick on the squeeky BR112 and it's totally stopped the squeek! :bounce: I can't believe it - it had been driving me bonkers! I'll do it to the BR110 next to see what happens.

Matt

Oh heck, for some reason following doing this to the BR110 it has shorted. No idea why that happened. Dead as a dodo  :doh:

It worked so well on the BR112!

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #852 on: June 14, 2019, 10:14:39 AM »
I've taken apart the BR101.

Matt, have you had a closer look at the trucks/bogies ? You have this BR101 run on your freshly ballasted layout, I still think there could be some ballast debris stuck to one of the gears in the truck's gear tower. Just a thought.

steve 

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #853 on: June 14, 2019, 10:18:19 AM »

You genius Steve!

Matt

Oh heck, for some reason following doing this to the BR110 it has shorted. No idea why that happened. Dead as a dodo  :doh:

It worked so well on the BR112!

Just make sure the chassis halves make proper contact to the circuit board (or vice versa) and everything will be fine   ;)

steve

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #854 on: June 14, 2019, 11:36:54 AM »

Just make sure the chassis halves make proper contact to the circuit board (or vice versa) and everything will be fine   ;)

steve

I think it may be more serious than that - there was a puff of smoke as it shorted from somewhere near the front of the motor.

Matt

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything