!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 9297 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #270 on: January 11, 2019, 12:44:41 PM »
More PVA'ing today. Huge respect to those who have completed large layouts, this small one's taking forever! I suppose it's like reading a book - as in you want to reach the end but when you get there you wish you were working on something again!

It is very satisfying seeing finished sections of ballasting. Iv'e also layed in some disconnected track which is going to be a 'ghost' siding, all grown over and with a diorama-tye scene with a piece of rotting stock sitting on it.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #271 on: January 11, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »
Maybe use a little less dilute PVA?  If it's leaking out from the ballast that much then perhaps that's how it's getting into points etc :-)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #272 on: January 11, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »
Maybe use a little less dilute PVA?  If it's leaking out from the ballast that much then perhaps that's how it's getting into points etc :-)

Good idea, you're right! :thumbsup:

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #273 on: January 11, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
It's really good to see this layout coming to life.  Many thanks for the informative posts and good photographs.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: January 11, 2019, 02:05:08 PM »
It's really good to see this layout coming to life.  Many thanks for the informative posts and good photographs.

John

Thanks John, it's my pleasure! :thumbsup:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: January 11, 2019, 02:48:18 PM »
……………….. Iv'e also layed in some disconnected track which is going to be a 'ghost' siding, all grown over and with a diorama-tye scene with a piece of rotting stock sitting on it.

That's a great idea Matt. I watch quite a few cabride videos on YouTube and there is certainly no shortage of disused sidings in Germany. There must be a fortune in scrap metal lying beneath those weeds.:)
John

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: January 11, 2019, 05:30:58 PM »
Hi Globi,

All looking good although agree you might have overdone it with the glue a bit.

Love the TEN sleeper coaches. Have got a couple of the SNCF (Nuit) and one FS (Notte) in blue but might have to get a Nacht one in red for colour. German tourists are always welcome on my layout.

Please don't think you're going too slow. A. Your overtaking me slightly and B. Don't rush it or you'll regret it. Got the T-shirt.

Always looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: January 11, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
Hi Globi,

All looking good although agree you might have overdone it with the glue a bit.

Love the TEN sleeper coaches. Have got a couple of the SNCF (Nuit) and one FS (Notte) in blue but might have to get a Nacht one in red for colour. German tourists are always welcome on my layout.

Please don't think you're going too slow. A. Your overtaking me slightly and B. Don't rush it or you'll regret it. Got the T-shirt.

Always looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Hi Weave,

Thank you, glad you are one of the night train club also, so-to-speak! Yes those are wise words, I'll carry on taking my time.  :thumbsup:

Cheers
Matt

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: January 11, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »
Just to join in it is all looking really good (except perhaps  the overindulgence with the glue).
It’s great to be able to follow your trials and tribulations as the layout develops.
All great fun.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2019, 12:22:17 PM »
Was watching this just now, it reminded me of your questions about push-pull.  A couple of times we see two Railjet push-pull sets paired together with one Taurus in the middle - not seen that before.

Also a tamper, a pair of Ludmillas on a long freight... all sorts of interest to we continental modellers.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »
Just to join in it is all looking really good (except perhaps  the overindulgence with the glue).
It’s great to be able to follow your trials and tribulations as the layout develops.
All great fun.
Martin

Thanks Martin  :beers:. On this occasion my flood of glue dried without mishap. But I'll definitely use much less in future. On the plus side, my ballast could withstand a 20 megaton hydrogen bomb plast, always handy!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
Was watching this just now, it reminded me of your questions about push-pull.  A couple of times we see two Railjet push-pull sets paired together with one Taurus in the middle - not seen that before.

Also a tamper, a pair of Ludmillas on a long freight... all sorts of interest to we continental modellers.

That's a good vid! I've seen a video with a whole compilation of weird Railjet combos, which included: Czech Railjet loco with OBB carriages, OBB Railjet loco with Czech Railjet carriages, OBB Railjet with faded red OBB loco, OBB railjet with ordinary OBB carriages tagged on the end, OBB Railjet with random Taurus in the middle. It's almost like they've been inspired by 'Rule 1' model railway-ists!  :D

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2019, 06:44:12 PM »

I like Holzi's videos. Thanks for the link Nick although I must confess to misunderstanding your description. I was expecting to see a single Taurus pulling/pushing two 7 coach Railjet sets. :-[
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
I've revised my PVA'ing technique somewhat. The track on the right is freshly wet and setting....  :angel:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:54 AM »
Despite the small problems you have had I really think the results are looking good.
I have tried using a syringe when ballasting but always found it difficult to control for small amounts of PVA.
I prefer to use a glass medicine/eye dropper.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:57:49 AM by swisstrains »
John

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
anything