!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 21582 times)

Online carlmt

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #990 on: August 18, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »
Looks like your catenary masts have two different lengths of registration arm (just like the old Vollmer masts I use)?    When placing masts round curves then you should place the long arm masts on the inside of the curve and the short arms on the outside.

Oh no - I've just re-done these - but redone them the wrong way around so all long arms are on the outside!!!  :-[ :doh:

Oops!!!! Gently try to prise them back out.  If any break, give me a shout.

Just to let you know, the next 20 are currently printing (sorry it has taken so long - I have been laid low with a back injury this past couple of weeks) so should be with you by the end of the week  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carl

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #991 on: August 18, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »

Oops!!!! Gently try to prise them back out.  If any break, give me a shout.

Just to let you know, the next 20 are currently printing (sorry it has taken so long - I have been laid low with a back injury this past couple of weeks) so should be with you by the end of the week  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Carl

Thanks Carl! Actually they are quite robust, I've popped them in and out a number of times with no problem. I've found it best to superglue the bases but just PVA the masts to the base.

I've just installed in what is (hopefully) their final position!

Ouch, hope that back gets better!!

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #992 on: August 21, 2019, 09:53:49 AM »
Must admit, I've had a couple of days of demotivation re. modelling on the layout. I think it's because when you start a layout there are all sorts of grand exciting plans and lots of unknowns, but when the big work has been accomplished (e.g. major landscaping/track laying) the excitement factor and 'beginner's enthusiasm' seems to go down a lot.

That doesn't mean there isn't still a lot to do however, so must grit teeth and knuckle down.

I've taken the plunge and cut in the semi-faux underpass entrances, so my little passengers can actually get to the far side platform. I'll need to model the steps, guard fences and the interior faces of the entrances (which are brickwork).

Also, I've now corrected all the catenary once again, so now short register arms are on the outer curve!

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #993 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:38 AM »
Must admit, I've had a couple of days of demotivation re. modelling on the layout. I think it's because when you start a layout there are all sorts of grand exciting plans and lots of unknowns, but when the big work has been accomplished (e.g. major landscaping/track laying) the excitement factor and 'beginner's enthusiasm' seems to go down a lot.

That doesn't mean there isn't still a lot to do however, so must grit teeth and knuckle down.

I know exactly what you mean Matt. I think we have all been there at some stage but whatever you do try not to regard working on your layout as a chore. If you think that is happening, have a break and do something completely different. The interest will come back again.

What you have done in such a short space of time is a credit to you especially when you consider that much of your infrastructure is scratch-built. Many modellers, myself included, would have taken the easy option and used kits. Keep up the good work Matt. :thumbsup:
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #994 on: August 21, 2019, 11:09:22 AM »

I know exactly what you mean Matt. I think we have all been there at some stage but whatever you do try not to regard working on your layout as a chore. If you think that is happening, have a break and do something completely different. The interest will come back again.

What you have done in such a short space of time is a credit to you especially when you consider that much of your infrastructure is scratch-built. Many modellers, myself included, would have taken the easy option and used kits. Keep up the good work Matt. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words John, you have a very understanding perspective! I think you are right, a short break to mentally 'regroup' may well be in order. :beers: :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #995 on: August 21, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
BR E 03 - she's quite a gal!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #996 on: August 21, 2019, 06:40:50 PM »
Mine are relegated to lesser duties these days, when they do appear

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #997 on: August 21, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
Mine are relegated to lesser duties these days, when they do appear

How the mighty are fallen! :'( :D

Offline Kokuma

• Awards
« Reply #998 on: August 21, 2019, 07:23:49 PM »
I've just spent a good hour and a half reading through this whole thread, I shall soon be embarking on my layout and this has taught me so much already.

Fantastic, cant wait to continue following the progress.  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #999 on: August 21, 2019, 09:31:46 PM »
I've just spent a good hour and a half reading through this whole thread, I shall soon be embarking on my layout and this has taught me so much already.

Fantastic, cant wait to continue following the progress.  :beers:

Thanks Kokuma, glad you found it interesting. It's been so much help to have the input of all the guys on this forum - the layout would be nowhere near as successful without their input!!! Good luck with your build! :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1000 on: August 28, 2019, 12:59:10 PM »
Hi all,

I'm going to be modelling the canopy for my island platform. It's based on the photos shown but the H-Columns will be centred unlike the prototype.

Unfortunately there are no obvious ways to get the footprint measurements for those beams (e.g. people standing in the photos). Can any of you answer this conundrum?

I'll be using Evergreen H-Column https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/14-35cm-opaque-white-polystyrene-h-column

I've tried with some item 286 4.8mm but think it's a little thick.

Answers on a postcard please! :D

« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 01:01:36 PM by Globibahn »

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1001 on: August 28, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
Looking at your last picture, the size of the H-column looks about right in relation to the little man and the trains.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #1002 on: August 28, 2019, 01:31:00 PM »
Hi Matt - I would be inclined to go for "I" beams instead of "H".  You could most likely find an "I" section of 4.8mm in 'height' (poor terminology from Evergreen......) x 2.4 or even 1.9 in width - that would look closer to your photos of the real thing.

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1003 on: August 28, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
Hi Matt - I would be inclined to go for "I" beams instead of "H".  You could most likely find an "I" section of 4.8mm in 'height' (poor terminology from Evergreen......) x 2.4 or even 1.9 in width - that would look closer to your photos of the real thing.

Hi Matt.
Yes, I agree with Carl, the "I" beam profile does look better. My only concern is that the Evergreen 276 (4.8 mm) I-Beam is not very rigid and might tend to bend. I have some in front of me now and it is very flexible.
If you think this flexibility could be a problem then I think I would probably go with the "H" beam but reduce it to 4.0 mm. for a less chunky appearance.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1004 on: August 28, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »

If you think this flexibility could be a problem then I think I would probably go with the "H" beam but reduce it to 4.0 mm. for a less chunky appearance.

Thanks chaps!

It's a good point re. 'I' beam, however I do know this is very flexible as, I had purchased some ages ago thinking it may do for catenary. Was a bit like cooked spaghetti!

I think I'll order some 4.00mm H beam and see if that offers a good compromise (the 4.6 is pretty nice and rigid).

Cheers for input  :thumbsup:
Matt

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything