!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 21693 times)

Offline TrevL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26716
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2018, 05:29:11 PM »
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2018, 02:04:03 PM »
Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing my platform widths as 42mm. Any view on this (for modern image)? Also any favoured heights?

Ta
Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2018, 02:58:32 PM »
That's a very precise measurement, is it derived from what will fit the location?  Is this an island platform or does it have only one face?

42mm seems quite wide for a single faced platform, but of course in real life it varies. There's probably a minimum requirement stated somewhere.

I've tended to make my platforms low, I've used a  specific "C" shape plastic extrusion for platform edges of the current layouts, it's about 7mm high from ground level.  You could certainly go higher for modern image platforms.  Code 80 trackwork will be higher than the code 55 I use.

This island platform on my abandonned station is about 45mm wide, and quite low as you can see.

Make sure you allow adequate clearance for locos and stock to pass by.  If you eventually get any steam locos they often need a bit more clearance - one of the worst culprits is the old Minitrix 2-10-0 which is very wide at the cylinders! As you can see, I've allowed general clearance on the platforms above.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:00:51 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2018, 03:09:56 PM »
That's a very precise measurement, is it derived from what will fit the location?  Is this an island platform or does it have only one face?

42mm seems quite wide for a single faced platform, but of course in real life it varies. There's probably a minimum requirement stated somewhere.

Hi Nick

Loving your abandoned station! I want to also have an abandoned length of track on my layout  :)

Here's my station mock up. I'm realising getting platform heights etc is quite tricky, esp. after the underlay is glued down! (which I have done now except on sidings).

I got the measurement (lets call it 4 cm wide ha ha) by guesstimating from the Google satellite view of Horrem station (which may be the station - not sure yet). Also the Faller ICE platforms are I believe 42mm.

Matt
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:15:17 PM by Globi »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2018, 03:18:42 PM »
Here's the whole thing...

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2018, 03:22:46 PM »
Those platforms look ok for width now we can see in context.

Don't forget you can always use the same cork sheet under the platforms and related building to keep the heights matching with the track, especially if you use platforms from kits.

Impressive station building if that's the size it's going to be!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
Those platforms look ok for width now we can see in context.

Don't forget you can always use the same cork sheet under the platforms and related building to keep the heights matching with the track, especially if you use platforms from kits.

Impressive station building if that's the size it's going to be!

Cheers Nick, yes will use the underlay I have left over for that. Yep she's a big 'ol station!

Matt

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
It's looking fantastic, Matt.

I thank that you'll have a lot of fun with this layout.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
It's looking fantastic, Matt.

I thank that you'll have a lot of fun with this layout.

John

Thanks John, it would never have reached this configuration without suggestions from you guys  :bounce:! How's your shed layout doing, I was just revisiting your last photo of it?

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2018, 08:20:11 AM »
Bit of an unexpected problem here. I've made good progrees with my lift-off hill.

However when I look at it, I can't help thinking it looks like a sort of big frog's head, with the tunnels being frog's eyes, and the hill edge a large frog-mouth! Do I just have an over-active imagination? It is actually bugging me quite a bit.

I can't actually think of any solutions, apart from removing the hill altogether (which is a shame as I like it breaking up the loop of rail), or maybe extending the hill around the wouth western corner more and removing quite a bit of of the southern siding (also a pity).

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
Hi
I think your problem is that the tunnel doesn’t look as if it fits in the scenery but rather looks “plonked in place”.
The way around it is ro extend tie sides between the road and track so that it tapers down to a point at ground level just by the point.
Maybe do the same with the edge at the top tapering it down between road and platform.
I’d also do the same bottom left to taper the land down between main line and siding.
I think that will make a huge difference so it doesn’t look so angular.
I think you are absolutely correct in that it does provide a scenic break very nivcely.
Hope that’s not too critical and hope it helps.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2018, 08:33:26 AM »
Hi Globi,

Haven't replied before but have given thank yous so just to say all looking good.

The hill looks fine to me and with more landscaping and maybe more trees I'm sure any frogness in your mind will disappear.

Sometimes bits of scenery look odd or out of place when on their own but once incorporated with everything else they look fine.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »
Hi
I think your problem is that the tunnel doesn’t look as if it fits in the scenery but rather looks “plonked in place”.

I never thought of that - yes I could definitely experiment with adding longer tapers to make it blend better as you suggest. The southern siding could almost be in a mini cutting if I also blend the left edge of the hill more gradually.

Cheers for the tip - definitely not-over critical, just what I needed!  :beers:

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »
Hi Globi,

Haven't replied before but have given thank yous so just to say all looking good.

The hill looks fine to me and with more landscaping and maybe more trees I'm sure any frogness in your mind will disappear.

Sometimes bits of scenery look odd or out of place when on their own but once incorporated with everything else they look fine.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Thanks Weave, yes I was thinking that may be the case!

Matt

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2018, 08:38:17 AM »
I'm biting my lip trying not to post the picture of my gronk doing cartwheels on my platform! :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything