!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 54422 times)

Online Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #870 on: June 22, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
Here's mine on the well wagon. Hmm... it's a bit dusty, need to sort that out :-)

I wonder if maybe a Goldie Köf would be a cheap option? :-)

That's a nice little custom item Nick, nicely conceived.

Would a gold Köf respray easily? It might give the game away if a derelict loco on a forgotten siding appeared to be showing through bits of solid gold chassis underneath the flaking paint and corrosion  :smiley-laughing:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #871 on: June 24, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
Vertical distribution

So it's getting around to time I can start thinking about the vertical track side details on my layout, more specifically: dummy catenary masts, some gantry mast lamps on the central sidings and then the dummy signals (which Nick has kindly planned for me).

Would any of you recommend a specific order to place these items in? I'm thinking of getting catenary in first as it's most numerous and needs to match right and left (I've got a scratch build solution) and then positioning any gantry lights next and then the signals last? :hmmm:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #872 on: June 24, 2019, 04:13:59 PM »
You're only fitting dummy catenary mast so it's not so bad.   I organise the catenary first because I have to ensure the straight lengths of wire sit correctly on the centre-line of the track.  One thing that annoys me is seeing curved wires!  I'd rather fit an extra pull-off mast even if that means I end up with more masts than I'd like, but of course the track curves are sharper than the real thing anyway so more masts are required.

Once the overhead is in place then I sort out the  signals, trying to ensure the sight line isn't obscured by a pesky catenary mast :-)

Yard lamps and stuff come last - after a lot of the scenery has been done.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #873 on: June 24, 2019, 05:29:32 PM »
So today two ex-Globibahn BR110s arrived at Bw Königshafen, and were propelled on-shed for overhaul with the intention of restoring both to full working order for future operation on the main line once more.

It looks like the BR78 steamer has come straight over from the Koblenz Summer Festival too  :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #874 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:22 PM »
So today two ex-Globibahn BR110s arrived at Bw Königshafen, and were propelled on-shed for overhaul with the intention of restoring both to full working order for future operation on the main line once more.

Fab Nick, good luck with them, glad they went ot a good home!

Cheers
Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #875 on: June 24, 2019, 10:46:28 PM »
Fab Nick, good luck with them, glad they went ot a good home!

Spent a pleasurable hour on them this evening, all sorted  :D   

The intermittent shorts were where you'd fitted those wire links, they were poking down underneath and shorting to the chassis block, especially on the blue/cream. I just re-flowed the joints and pushed the wire back up flush with the underside of the board.

I turned the blanking plates the other way up so the lights work  :doh:   It's not made clear in the service sheet which way up they go, so it's 50/50 chance  :D

Think I've tracked down the "squeak" in the red/cream, seems to have been the bogie frame pickups scraping on the wheels, so I've applied a tiny amount of Powerlube.  I may yet go back and re-bend those pickups slightly, but for now will see how it goes.

Main gears and worms given a small dose of my favoured PTFE grease.

Both running smoothly and quietly round my test track now.   Well pleased with them, so thanks for letting them transfer to my fleet  :D

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #876 on: June 24, 2019, 10:54:44 PM »

Spent a pleasurable hour on them this evening, all sorted  :D   

Both running smoothly and quietly round my test track now.   Well pleased with them, so thanks for letting them transfer to my fleet  :D

Excellent Nick, very happy those are mended and fully operational on Königshaffen!

My Fleischmann BR110 is running lovely with it's chip installed, so it worked out well all round. :thumbsup: :beers:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #877 on: June 25, 2019, 08:17:46 AM »
I actually cannot believe it, last night about midnight my new BR110 start developing the 'sudden surges' trait! I've tried it again this morning and it's doing the same thing a bit. I've given the loco wheels and the track a good clean, so I'll observe what happens. The loco has had about 40 minutes running time since it came fresh out the box.

The surginess happening suddenly late at night got me wondering about track power. Is it possible that the Roco 680801 booster for the Multimaus is at fault?

I bought it second hand on Ebay, think it came out a start set. I always thought it seemed incredibly light, flimsy and cheaply made.

I was thinking it may be time to invest in a Roco Z21? (although that costs the same a new loco, so it would be a sensible rather than joyous purchase)

Here's my existing box of tricks.

And here's the Z21 - 10820 booster which seems a lot more capable and robust. I could use my exisitng Multimaus handset. And it has a programming track output.

:hmmm: :hmmm: :confused2:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #878 on: June 25, 2019, 08:54:55 AM »
Your other locos don't do it?    You'd expect to see similar behaviour on all locos if it were a fault with the system itself and the track voltage were fluctuating.  What about when you have two locos following each other - still only the new BR110 surges?

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #879 on: June 25, 2019, 09:02:10 AM »
Your other locos don't do it?    You'd expect to see similar behaviour on all locos if it were a fault with the system itself and the track voltage were fluctuating.  What about when you have two locos following each other - still only the new BR110 surges?

Well the BR101 started doing it last week, soI've sent it off to be looked at.

I'll turn my attention to testing my other 3 locos and see what's going on.

Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #880 on: June 25, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
OK well that does start to point the finger at the system itself then?   I guess the conclusive proof would be to have two locos running together and see if they both surge in sync with each other?

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #881 on: June 25, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
OK well that does start to point the finger at the system itself then?   I guess the conclusive proof would be to have two locos running together and see if they both surge in sync with each other?

Ok this is so weird. I actually think there may be demons at work on any BR110 I own!

So I've done side by side tests, running locos beside each other one on inner, one on outer loop. Plus I've swapped loops too.

1st test: Fleischmann BR110 with ZimoMX616N = stutters occasionally | Fleischmann RE482 Cargo with Lenz/Flm chip = smooth
2nd test: Fleischmann BR110 with ZimoMX616N = stutters occasionally | Arnold OBB4061 with ZimoMX616N = smooth
3rd test: Fleischmann BR110 with ZimoMX616N = stutters occasionally | Fleischmann RTS with ZimoMX616N = smooth

I can't work it out, it's driving me mad!  ???

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #882 on: June 25, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »
Just had an idea.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just temporarily convert the layout back to DC control, to test locos are working fine DC?

The only accesory on there is a DCC electornic point controlled by a Roco module, so I could just unplug that (reverting it to manual), unplug the DCC command centre and then hook up my basic DC controller.

At least that would prove once and for all if my issues are DCC ones.

Or I guess I could also just buy a large radius circle of track for DC testing locos, if this is likely to be a regular requirement for testing.

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #883 on: June 25, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »
Nothing wrong with your proposal I don't think, but it is handy to have a testing track. Mine is an oval with a passing loop fastened to a piece of 4' x 2' MDF. Some members I believe have a test track in the shape of a figure of eight.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #884 on: June 25, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »
It should work fine reverting to DC.  The accessory decoder can probably stay connected, it should do nothing as it won't see a DCC signal addressing it.  Mind you, disconnecting it would remove it as a possible (though unlikely) source of the problem.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal