!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 54421 times)

Online Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #855 on: June 14, 2019, 04:31:15 PM »

Just make sure the chassis halves make proper contact to the circuit board (or vice versa) and everything will be fine   ;)

steve

I've tested the decoder in another loco - it's deep fried with vinegar and salt I'm afraid! My fault for meddling. In fairness it's only the 2nd decoder to go pop since I began this model railway lark back on October, so not too bad going!

I'll get a replacement and send the loco to my good repair friend to try to untangle what went wrong. Sure something can be learned.

Anyway the BR112 is running lovely now, and I have done my first loco take apart with the BR101 which is satisfying.

Offline BlythPower

• Deutsche Bundesbahn in den 80ern
    • Awards
« Reply #856 on: June 14, 2019, 08:35:51 PM »
Anyway the BR112 is running lovely now, and I have done my first loco take apart with the BR101 which is satisfying.

Even more satisfying is putting it back together and finding it still works.  ;D

Although if you haven't kept an eye on which way is 'up' with the motor, the results can be interesting...  :-[

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #857 on: June 14, 2019, 09:00:23 PM »
Although if you haven't kept an eye on which way is 'up' with the motor, the results can be interesting...  :-[

I always scratch a little "T" on the top of the motor when I'm working on a loco for the first time.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #858 on: June 20, 2019, 10:27:50 AM »
Finally, resolution to the BR110-gate scandal!  8)

After months of nothing but agro of every conceivable kind with my Hobbytrain (2015 manufacture) BR110 and BR112, I decided to just purchase a brand new Fleischmann BR110 (pictured with headlights on and panto up).

As I've come to expect from Fleischmann brothers - it was a simple case of bish bash bosh, out the box, decoder in, put on track, runs beautifully.

The lessons to be learned are:
- Zimo chips/ Multimaus and Fleischmann are a good combo
- If a loco looks good but runs poorly, it's just really mega depressing and basically invalidates that loco (if it can't be fixed)

I'm going to be sending the Hobbytrain locos to the metaphorical Barry scrapyard (aka Ebay) for spares and repair.

NB - visually comparing the Fleischmann and Hobbytrain versions is quite interesting. The Fleischmann is slightly larger in volume and rides a little higher (good match for my Minitrix coaching stock). Detailing is equally good. The profile of the curved loco frontages is slightly different - I would say a little less steeply inclined on the Fleischmann.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #859 on: June 20, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that you were unable to resolve the problems with your Hobbytrain locos Matt. Personally I have had very few problems with Hobbytrain locos but then again I have never converted one to DCC. My Hobbytrain locos are either DC or factory fitted DCC/Sound where (hopefully) any "tuning" has already been done.
Our hobby needs to be enjoyable and it won't be if we cannot get our trains to run smoothly so I think you have done the right thing by purchasing the Fleischmann loco. The BR110/112 is obviously a type of loco that you love so you will never be happy until you get a smooth running example on your layout. At the end of the day it's only money :D
John

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #860 on: June 20, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
I'll have the Hobbytrain locos for spare/repair if the price is right :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #861 on: June 20, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
Sorry to hear that you were unable to resolve the problems with your Hobbytrain locos Matt. Personally I have had very few problems with Hobbytrain locos but then again I have never converted one to DCC. My Hobbytrain locos are either DC or factory fitted DCC/Sound where (hopefully) any "tuning" has already been done.
Our hobby needs to be enjoyable and it won't be if we cannot get our trains to run smoothly so I think you have done the right thing by purchasing the Fleischmann loco. The BR110/112 is obviously a type of loco that you love so you will never be happy until you get a smooth running example on your layout. At the end of the day it's only money :D

Thanks John! Yes your philosophy is spot on  :thumbsup:

I think I've just had a spot of bad luck, but only a blip in the overall scheme of things!

Cheers
Matt

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #862 on: June 20, 2019, 01:16:54 PM »
I'll have the Hobbytrain locos for spare/repair if the price is right :D

I'd much rather send them to Nick scrapyard than Barry scrapyard!  :smiley-laughing:

I'll message you!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #863 on: June 21, 2019, 03:56:29 PM »
This part of the project has been bugging me for a few days snd I've taken steps to resolve it.

I had constructed a long-ish ramp leading from the signal box up to the service level crossing. It was quite a lot of work to put in - shaping it and getting the risers for it in place. Anyway once done, I kept looking at and thinking 'that ramp is too long'. There's no science involved here, it just looked too long for some reason.

Anyhow took the bull by the horns and tore it up this afternoon. I'm putting in a shorter one to see if my gut instinct is correct!

Taking up the long ramp:

Test-fitting the new, shorter ramp:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #864 on: June 21, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
If you think something isn't quite right it will bug you until you do something about it. Those doubts never go away. I know, been there many times :D
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #865 on: June 21, 2019, 09:54:09 PM »
If you think something isn't quite right it will bug you until you do something about it. Those doubts never go away. I know, been there many times :D

Agreed! And the trouble is one often has to do it fully first (i.e. cut, glue, paint), to realise if it's wrong or not. Mock- ups don't tell the whole story!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #866 on: June 22, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Saw this pic from 'Hauptwerkmesiter' on Insta and thought how cool it would be to customise a Köf like that for my abandoned siding!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #867 on: June 22, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »
Saw this pic from 'Hauptwerkmesiter' on Insta and thought how cool it would be to customise a Köf like that for my abandoned siding!

Yeah that would be an effective scene.   Maybe keep an eye out for a cheap dead one on ebay?

Some years ago I acquired  an Arnold one with no motor or gears. I presume it had suffered motor failure, I don't think it was sold as a static model.  It ended up strapped to a well wagon, after I'd seen a photo of a Köf being transported that way.

It's a Shame DelPrado didn't do one in their range of cheap static models. The DelPrados are perfect for weathering up as derelicts  :D

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #868 on: June 22, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »

Yeah that would be an effective scene.   Maybe keep an eye out for a cheap dead one on ebay?

Evil minds think alike! Will keep eyes out  :thumbsup:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #869 on: June 22, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
Here's mine on the well wagon. Hmm... it's a bit dusty, need to sort that out :-)

[edit]
Just looked it up on www.spurweite-n.de     it was a special edition for 1990: 500 years Deutche Post. Definitely was motorised.

I wonder if maybe a Goldie Köf would be a cheap option? :-)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 10:39:08 AM by ntpntpntp »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal