!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 72694 times)

Offline swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Globibahn SBB Layout
« Reply #2325 on: August 26, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »
On another note, what is the longest length of time you have sat on a train for (on an actual journey, not stuck standing in an EMU outside Clapham Junction due to signal failure :smiley-laughing:)? I'm contemplating an ICE journey (2nd class) from Hamburg almost as far as Zurich. It's around 7hours 30 with one change. Is that bonkers and does it start to make it non-enjoyable due to cramping of the posterior regions? :hmmm:

I think boredom could be the biggest problem even for a rail enthusiast like yourself. I assume the ICE will be travelling over long sections of NBS at high speed where there is often little to see other than tunnels and cuttings. Having said that it is still better than flying and I'm sure you can find ways to pass the time.
My longest rail journey was from Boulogne to Rome which was about 19 hours but much of it was in daylight so there was plenty to see. I do remember that "posterior cramping" was a problem but the beauty of trains is that you can get up and wander and I had some really interesting conversations with other passengers doing the same thing.
My second longest journey was probably the Glacier Express from St.Moritz to Zermatt. When we did that it took about 8 hours and was in the days before the posh new coaches were introduced so the seats weren't great. That didn't really matter because I spent most of the time standing up going from window to window with my camera. Typical tourist. :D
John

Offline NScaleNotes

• NScaleNotes
    • Awards
« Reply #2326 on: August 26, 2020, 10:19:51 AM »
On another note, what is the longest length of time you have sat on a train for (on an actual journey, not stuck standing in an EMU outside Clapham Junction due to signal failure :smiley-laughing:)? I'm contemplating an ICE journey (2nd class) from Hamburg almost as far as Zurich. It's around 7hours 30 with one change. Is that bonkers and does it start to make it non-enjoyable due to cramping of the posterior regions? :hmmm:

The longest I've done in Europe was 4 hours Paris to Dusseldorf on a single train but that's probably similar to one of the legs of your proposed journey. It was fine.
I managed to get some 1st class Thalys tickets fairly cheaply. I'm convinced that makes it easier as I'm 6-2 and you get more leg room, a bit more space, a meal/drinks and even things to read.

I'm with everyone else on this, the fact you can get up and wander makes a big difference. If you're worried why not break the journey with a long transfer somewhere, either a couple of hours to grab a nice meal and wander around or even overnight and give yourself a bit more flexibility.

If you're booking now are there lots of incentives and discounts?

http://nscalenotes.com/
My blog about real-World locations that might make interesting layouts, modules or dioramas.

Find out more about my N scale 3D printed tanktainer models:
http://nscalenotes.com/category/modelideas/scratchbuilding/3dprinting/

Offline mika

• Awards
« Reply #2327 on: August 26, 2020, 10:35:02 AM »
Oh, and we did London - Potsdam last year with three changes (at Brussels, Cologne and Berlin) which took us something like ten hours. All good and so much to see (except for the Tunnel, of course :P)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2328 on: August 26, 2020, 01:29:13 PM »

I didn't know there was such a thing until reading this thread. And now I share your sadness.

You may want to look away Jim, this is the sort of thing that has been happening!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2329 on: August 26, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »

I think boredom could be the biggest problem even for a rail enthusiast like yourself. I assume the ICE will be travelling over long sections of NBS at high speed where there is often little to see other than tunnels and cuttings. Having said that it is still better than flying and I'm sure you can find ways to pass the time.
My longest rail journey was from Boulogne to Rome which was about 19 hours but much of it was in daylight so there was plenty to see. I do remember that "posterior cramping" was a problem but the beauty of trains is that you can get up and wander and I had some really interesting conversations with other passengers doing the same thing.
My second longest journey was probably the Glacier Express from St.Moritz to Zermatt. When we did that it took about 8 hours and was in the days before the posh new coaches were introduced so the seats weren't great. That didn't really matter because I spent most of the time standing up going from window to window with my camera. Typical tourist. :D

Really good points John! The thing about having a flexible pass is that the bind boggles with possibilities. 19 hours is a long-haul, I've certainly not done a journey that long in one go before.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2330 on: August 26, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »
Interesting to hear all your views chaps, yes the corridor walk is a very good suggestion to inhibit potential posterior issues from developing!  :smiley-laughing:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #2331 on: August 26, 2020, 02:13:35 PM »
Hi Matt,

I also think, as you're a train fan, it might be nice to break your journey, if possible, for just a couple of hours. I don't know your exact route but Cologne is (or was) nice to watch trains, with platforms on the Rhine bridge, for a bit.

Probably all changed now but someone might be able to recommend a good 'spotting' station if you let us know your route.

My longest journeys, without changing trains (except French/Spanish border), have been Oostende - Stuttgart, Brussels - Berlin, Calais - Milan, Rome - Syracusa (Sicily) and Paris - Madrid. All were many moons ago though but I loved every minute. Saying that, they were all in compartments where you could open the window half way and also smoke (no lectures please).

Not much help at all but have a great trip.

Cheers, weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:19:26 PM by weave »

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #2332 on: August 26, 2020, 02:28:50 PM »
in 2019, we did Chur to Tirano on the Bernina Express which was about 6 hours, but the scenery was stunning. I am one of those annoying people with my camera always ready to take a photo of a viaduct, station, passing train, scenery or whatever. My wife on the other hand enjoyed the fact they served food, she could do some cross-stitch and watch the scenery. We had an excellent pizza at Tirano too.

I've done all day railtours before in the UK but that normally means there are railway things to look at or mates with you.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2333 on: August 26, 2020, 05:53:54 PM »
Hi Matt,

I also think, as you're a train fan, it might be nice to break your journey, if possible, for just a couple of hours. I don't know your exact route but Cologne is (or was) nice to watch trains, with platforms on the Rhine bridge, for a bit.

Have to agree with weave here.  Cologne station is lovely and the Bridge is a must visit.  I just checked and there still is a nice bookstore in at the station entrance (Ludwig) that when I was there (a few years ago) had a healthy railway section.  Ended up coming away with a lovely book about the different TEE trains and one about passenger trains in the 50s.

Graham

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2334 on: September 11, 2020, 01:33:31 PM »
Hi all,

Am back in one piece from my trip! Rather a challenging trip giving the times.

More details of course to follow! :)

Matt

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #2335 on: September 11, 2020, 01:45:20 PM »
Welcome back Matt,

Hope you had a great time and looking forward to the gossip and pics.

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #2336 on: September 11, 2020, 05:49:40 PM »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2337 on: September 15, 2020, 09:35:51 AM »
Welcome back Matt,

Thank you folks!

Sorry for delay on this. I had to have dental work and then reacted to penicillin giving me a nasty rash. So not feeling on top form at the moment  :(

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2338 on: September 15, 2020, 09:44:02 AM »
Welcome back Matt,

Thank you folks!

Sorry for delay on this. I had to have dental work and then reacted to penicillin giving me a nasty rash. So not feeling on top form at the moment  :(

Sorry to hear that Matt. Hope you will soon be feeling more comfortable and able to publish the "Further Adventures of Globi" :D
John

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal