!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 68593 times)

Offline Dave_K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
Re: Globibahn SBB Layout
« Reply #2175 on: July 13, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »
Miniatur Wunderland - nice! Been before? I went the other year with my mates and we spend 2 days there, so much to see!
Plans for a trip to Switzerland slowly forming...September being the date currently in line.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2176 on: July 14, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
Miniatur Wunderland - nice! Been before? I went the other year with my mates and we spend 2 days there, so much to see!
Plans for a trip to Switzerland slowly forming...September being the date currently in line.

Well, it's funny you say this Dave. Between the ages of 16 and 38 I had some hang-ups and felt embarassed at my love of trains, and therefore did not openly induldge this passion. It was as a result of getting councelling after a difficult relationship break-up that this issue came up and now everyone knows I'm obsessed with trains and model making! It was funny telling my friends all about it, as they did not know I had this interest at all and wondered why I had never mentioned it.

Anyway in 2017 (before my enlightenment so-to-speak) I visited Hamburg several times but did not go to Miniatur Wunderland for the above reason. It's time to set this straight, hence my visit. Oh, and the Hauptbahnhof is very interesting too  :claphappy:

Thinking about it now, I may actually book 2 entry tickets so I can see it evening of my arrival and morning of departure (when I'll be heading by ICE to either Leipzig or Nurnberg).

And I have an awful lot of lost years to make up for in terms of train spotting/travelling/modelling. :)

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #2177 on: July 14, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »
It can be hard when what you enjoy is curbed by embarrassment, social pressures, insecurity, negative feedback from others around you - it takes a determination and drive to push on through, which you have achieved by opening up and positively embracing what you enjoy - good for you!

My road has been easier as my dad was into trains so my brother and I naturally got involved! Nine years with BR pulled the veil off my eyes and I left for a better career whereas my brother is still works with the railway. We are lucky as both our closes mates are railway or ex-railway so there are no secrets with us! lol. I don't flaunt my interest in the railways but many know and honestly I don't care what they think - my life, my interests!

Seriously, Miniatur Wunderland will blow your socks off! There is so much to see, and the amount of detail is just mind-melting. On our first day we spent about 7 hours and the following day about 4 - with suitable breaks in the canteen which has airline seats, beer and some great food. Check tickets before going out as some tickets are cheaper in advance, at certain times or two day tickets.

If you want a free tour round - check out my photo album from the visit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwin/albums/72157691837903442

All the best.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2178 on: July 15, 2020, 06:44:52 AM »
honestly I don't care what they think - my life, my interests!

That's exactly right Dave and it's what I have now experienced first hand! Interesting to hear your background too.

I'm champing at the bit to get to M. Wunderland, will certainly check your photos. Obviously will give a full report for all on my return!  :beers: :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2179 on: July 15, 2020, 09:53:16 PM »

If you want a free tour round - check out my photo album from the visit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davekirwin/albums/72157691837903442

Fantastic photos - it is a staggering layout!!!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2180 on: July 16, 2020, 09:29:53 AM »
Farm scene so far - still needs loads of details but I'm happy enough has been done (include total re-roofing of the house) in order to put serious graft into the Guterbahnhof extension.

25mm spade bit should be coming in the post today so I can mate the two sections properly.

Shall I be naughty and start the Güterbahnhof before the farm scene is fully finished? :hmmm:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2181 on: July 16, 2020, 10:27:23 AM »
Shall I be naughty and start the Güterbahnhof before the farm scene is fully finished? :hmmm:

Yes :D You can add those extra detailing bits to the farm at any time. No doubt you have already got some ideas but you will probably think of more as time goes by. I'm still adding small details to my layout 17 years later. :D
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2182 on: July 22, 2020, 10:13:58 AM »
Been distracted past few days by life goings-on!

Anyhow, today I've put in the male parts of the alignment nubbins.

Do I need to fill the hole in the centre made by the spade drill bit with wood filler? :hmmm:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2183 on: July 22, 2020, 10:14:47 AM »

Yes :D You can add those extra detailing bits to the farm at any time. No doubt you have already got some ideas but you will probably think of more as time goes by. I'm still adding small details to my layout 17 years later. :D

:D LOL I'll add the details to the list of 1001 things to do still!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2184 on: July 22, 2020, 10:26:56 AM »
Do I need to fill the hole in the centre made by the spade drill bit with wood filler? :hmmm:

Nope.  I've never ever bothered with that.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2185 on: July 22, 2020, 10:31:20 AM »

Nope.  I've never ever bothered with that.

Grand, cheers Nick!

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2186 on: July 22, 2020, 10:38:46 AM »
When you fit the female half, remember to open out the centre hole in the wood behind the plate so the male pin fits easily.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #2187 on: July 22, 2020, 11:50:51 AM »
I've just booked my next travelling trip away this Autumn. It'll start in Hamburg for Miniatur Wunderland and then I'll be roaming down to Bavaria and Baden Württemberg by train visiting friends and hostelling. Finally something ot look forward to!  :D
Mizzy Gizzy and I went to Miniatur Wunderland last October.

We spent a whole day there, had breakfast, lunch and dinner, and we could have stayed for supper as it was open late that day.

We stayed nearby at the new Premier Inn, which is by the west entrance to Messburg U-Bahnhof, 2 stops from Hauptbahnhof.

Gizzy's top tip. Go on line and get a HVV ticket for all trains from the Airport. Print a few out, one for your pocket and another for your bag in case you loose it....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline Dave_K

• Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #2188 on: July 22, 2020, 02:32:46 PM »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2189 on: July 22, 2020, 02:51:53 PM »
I've just booked my next travelling trip away this Autumn. It'll start in Hamburg for Miniatur Wunderland and then I'll be roaming down to Bavaria and Baden Württemberg by train visiting friends and hostelling. Finally something ot look forward to!  :D
Mizzy Gizzy and I went to Miniatur Wunderland last October.

We spent a whole day there, had breakfast, lunch and dinner, and we could have stayed for supper as it was open late that day.

We stayed nearby at the new Premier Inn, which is by the west entrance to Messburg U-Bahnhof, 2 stops from Hauptbahnhof.

Gizzy's top tip. Go on line and get a HVV ticket for all trains from the Airport. Print a few out, one for your pocket and another for your bag in case you loose it....

Excellent tips Gizzy, thank you!

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal