!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 68592 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Globibahn SBB Layout
« Reply #2145 on: June 29, 2020, 02:59:10 PM »

PS I was going to say that I, too, have never eaten a meal in a dining car, but then I remembered that a few years ago I celebrated my birthday (and associated early retirement) with lunch in a Pullman car on the Bluebell Railway.

I think I may have to give this a try and report back!

Currently I'm hatching plans for my next central Europe trip. I'm literally champing at the bit.

Picked up this new addition for Globibahn 2nd hand. Advertised as 'as new' but on opening needed a jolly good clean up. Have emailed seller to grumble abut that. Body shell very nice and just test running now.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2146 on: June 29, 2020, 03:15:54 PM »
Looking at the barn I decided that it needed a lot of gubbins and junk adding, as per most prototypes. So I had a very fiddly session yesterday doing so - using fine wire and offcuts.

Progress on the Güterschuppen extension not been that much (my excuse: been engaged in DIY painting mum's stairs - had to strip all the previous paint so it turned into a big job!)

I have decided to make the Güterschuppen extension more lightweight and realised I could use thinner wood 'bracing' for ply. I've got Nick's recommended alignment pins so it's the next major bit of handywork to take place. And obviously need to paint the barn.

John - SBB station signage comes up tiny when to 1:160 scale!!!! Can only just make out wording :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2147 on: June 29, 2020, 06:43:39 PM »
When it comes to lighting the barn, I don't want to have any light in the upper hay storage floors, only in the lower cow stall. Therefore I've designed a lift out ceiling 'lid' onto which the LED strip will be installed. When I get around to doing hte lighting for the farm area which will probably be in 2022!  :D

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2148 on: June 29, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »

Picked up this new addition for Globibahn 2nd hand. Advertised as 'as new' but on opening needed a jolly good clean up. Have emailed seller to grumble abut that. Body shell very nice and just test running now.

Nick's not going to like it. :no:
What was it like inside Matt? If it was full of oil and grease then it could well be 'as new'. Fleischmann went through a spell where they well and truly overlubed their models. It even found its way onto the brushes etc.
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2149 on: June 29, 2020, 09:43:15 PM »

I was struggling to see the pantos, thought it might be a new fangled Rm 460  or something :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2150 on: June 29, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »

What was it like inside Matt? If it was full of oil and grease then it could well be 'as new'. Fleischmann went through a spell where they well and truly overlubed their models. It even found its way onto the brushes etc.

LOL no I'm sure he won't tee hee, well he doesn't need to know if no one tells him  :D.

The seller contacted me back and said he had it from new and his IT system tells him it's only got 10 hours usage on the clock, but it's been stored a while.

Basically I may have been exaggerating - however the bogie contacts were tarnished and needed a good spot of iso. And I think his track was dirty, as quite a bit of gunge around axles - and yes rather a lot of axle lube evident.

This one was a right swine to get the lid off as well, even following instructions carefully. Funny how on some models the chassis just drops out and others not. :hmmm:

Anyway seems to run well.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2151 on: June 29, 2020, 09:59:06 PM »

I was struggling to see the pantos, thought it might be a new fangled Rm 460  or something :D

You know I've looked at htis loco thousands of times and never noticed how extremely recessed the pantos are!  ;D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2152 on: June 30, 2020, 05:50:41 PM »
John, can't remember if you have an Re 4/4 IV on your layout - believe Roco did one?  :hmmm:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #2153 on: June 30, 2020, 06:17:57 PM »
This might surprise you:  I have 4 of them  :D

They're all old Roco models as you can tell from the boxes.  I've had the dark grey one since the mid 80s.  The dismantled one was something like £12 from Anoraks Anonymous at TINGS - very badly over-painted but working.  Of course when I stripped it it turned out to be one I'm "missing",  but it will get re-liveried into something else.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2154 on: June 30, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »
This might surprise you:  I have 4 of them  :D

LOL that is a surprise Nick, but I should have learned not to be surprised by you any more! Nice RE4/4 VIs - shame the one to complete the set is in need of restoration! :thumbsup:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2155 on: June 30, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
John, can't remember if you have an Re 4/4 IV on your layout - believe Roco did one?  :hmmm:

They were readily available when I started modelling Swiss railways but I only got one in this livery as it was the most common especially on the Lötschberg.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2156 on: July 02, 2020, 02:41:55 PM »
Barn Update:

I primed the whole barn in white, then masked off the lower section and now primed in grey.

House Update:

Since the barn roof fits so snuggly, I've decided I have to completely re-do the roof of the house - mainly because too much gappage will result in weird light spill from under the roof when it's LED lit.

Photos of that will follow. Lesson: next time I do pitched roofs, I will put in triangular cross brace sections much like in a prototypical steel framed building.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:54:23 PM by Globibahn »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2157 on: July 05, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
Not high thrills modelling exactly, but it was something that needed fixing.

Old roof with unacceptable gappage, would allow light spill

New roof - light sealed

New roof (white) next to old. Next time I do a pitched roof, I'll put in actual measured A-frames - rather than the rudimentary cross struts I have been doing.

I do love a well-laid bead of filler!  :D

Offline Dave_K

• N Gauge Society Number: 24637
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • davekirwinphotography
    • Awards
« Reply #2158 on: July 05, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »
That barn looks fantastic, so much detail!

Quote from: Globibahn
Currently I'm hatching plans for my next central Europe trip. I'm literally champing at the bit.

Me too, I really want to get back to Pratteln for my freight fix!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #2159 on: July 05, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
Oh no!

RIP DB BR120 - I just heard DB are scrapping the lot.

When I was growing up that as 'the' modern german loco!  :(

@ntpntpntp if you want to buy a real one better get in there quick! :D

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
August Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal