!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 24492 times)

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
I found a kit with a little switch that I mounted underneath the coach.

The kit included everything, even the wire, and was only £4.25.

Here is how I installed it in an autocoach .......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41655.msg512761#msg512761

Thanks for that @Phoenix  and thank you for the link to your 'how I did it' post. I have now ordered a couple of the lighting kits and bookmarked your post.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: November 23, 2018, 07:42:39 PM »
... as it's just the one set of points, I'll just stick with analogue methinks (unless decoders for points are really cheap). Ta for switch info and link.
Well you can buy accessory decoders with just a single channel, or if you did plan to motorise more points then it's worth considering a multi-channel decoder.

Personally I much prefer good old analogue switches on a real control panel over pressing a sequence of buttons on a DCC controller.  I've played around with PC control too but didn't find it particularly satisfying.

I'm definitely with you on this. I'll not be having more than one set of electric points and I like the idea of having a physical switch to operate said points!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2018, 07:45:24 PM »
Hi there,

I just noticed you were asking about coach lighting.

The kits David linked to look great, but I did not want my coach to light up every time I moved them, so I found a kit with a little switch that I mounted underneath the coach.

The kit included everything, even the wire, and was only £4.25.

Here is how I installed it in an autocoach .......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41655.msg512761#msg512761

I hope this helps  :D

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Thanks for this, that's definitely an economical and effective option to consider!!!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
Ahahah! Evergreen styrene I-Beams. Scratch-built catenary ahoy!  :claphappy:

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/14-35cm-white-polystrene-i-beam

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2018, 08:31:09 PM »
https://plastruct.com/

also sell I-Beams and plenty of other plastic bits for scratch building, although I do not know how the prices compare.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: November 24, 2018, 08:31:38 AM »
More layout-building chaos this morning. The concept that one day I may able to be actually run trains seems like a far-off fantasy!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #186 on: November 24, 2018, 10:53:41 AM »
My Swiss relative is back from his mission photographing the station I found on Google maps  :claphappy:. He thinks I'm bonkers!

It's situated on the main line between and Zurich and Basel, from whence trains can cross to the German high speed lines. The station has been allowed to go to wrack and ruin by the looks of it (especially the flats above look dischevelled and un-loved) but I think it's going to provide some really interesting model making! I love the rectangular architectural shapes. There's opportunities for some lively cameos around the Kiosk (I may need to buy a model police car ha ha).

There's also a little cargo bay with 3 x roll shutters, which is interesting.

Heres a few of his photos:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 11:01:34 PM by Globi »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: November 26, 2018, 01:11:17 PM »
Heck, by the looks of it my Kibri control tower looks like it's not to very accurate scale. My Noch 1:160 figures (probably much newer mouldings) which look very accurate to my coaching stock and my very new Rietze bus - seem smaller in proportion to the Kibri doorways.

Dang it! This makes my station scratch build all the more tricky. I'm inclined to stick to the scale of the Noch figures.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: November 26, 2018, 04:27:56 PM »
Many thanks for these interesting photographs, Matt.

I was disappointed to see graffiti in Switzerland.  At least you can omit it from your model.

This is a great project.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: November 27, 2018, 07:58:47 AM »
Many thanks for these interesting photographs, Matt.

I was disappointed to see graffiti in Switzerland.  At least you can omit it from your model.

This is a great project.

John

Thanks John, yes the project is tootling along ok. I'm really glad I'm learning the basics with this small layout. I have immense respect for those suceeding with large layouts as I now understand the multitude of things which have to be considered and the skills which need mastering!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #190 on: November 27, 2018, 12:04:21 PM »
So here's some more info on the scale issue I'm having.

I've based the scratch built station (it's a card mock up) on my Noch 1:160 figure and comparing the height of buses/ford Mondeos shown in the photos. I'm happy, except for when I put the old Kibri kit next to the station (just for comparison, it won't be placed there normally).

As shown in the photos, I believe the doorways on the Kibri kit are larger than true scale to the figure; this makes the building seem larger overall than my station (mind you signal boxes are unusually tall).

Interested in getting your views! Here's the Streetview link https://goo.gl/maps/D3Wm6DMD7zA2

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:17:36 PM by Globi »

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2018, 10:50:01 AM »
Hi Matt.
I have been doing a bit of research and I don't think the Kibri signalbox is particularly oversized. If you go to this page http://mausmaki.net/mausmaki/bahn-impressionen/abschiedsfahrt-der-baureihe-110-in-stuttgart.html and scroll down you will see a photo of part of the original Backnang signalbox that Kibri have used for their model. Conveniently there are some old chairs underneath the ground floor windows that you can use for size comparison. I have a similar chair and it is 1130mm high. This equates to 7.06 mm in 1:160 scale. I would say that the distance from the ground to the bottom of the lower windows on the Kibri model was about 7.3mm so I don't think their scaling is too bad. This doesn't explain the height of the doors but it is highly likely that they are much higher than standard domestic ones. Hope this helps.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
Hi Matt.
I have been doing a bit of research and I don't think the Kibri signalbox is particularly oversized. If you go to this page http://mausmaki.net/mausmaki/bahn-impressionen/abschiedsfahrt-der-baureihe-110-in-stuttgart.html and scroll down you will see a photo of part of the original Backnang signalbox that Kibri have used for their model. Conveniently there are some old chairs underneath the ground floor windows that you can use for size comparison. I have a similar chair and it is 1130mm high. This equates to 7.06 mm in 1:160 scale. I would say that the distance from the ground to the bottom of the lower windows on the Kibri model was about 7.3mm so I don't think their scaling is too bad. This doesn't explain the height of the doors but it is highly likely that they are much higher than standard domestic ones. Hope this helps.

Hi, thank you that is really helpful! Yes I agree that the doors could well be higher than standard doors. I've re-adjusted my measurements and I'm making a slightly larger scale mock up of my station, it's looking like a better fit.

Much appreciated your time spent checking!
Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »
Is the actual metal in flex rail different from non-flex, or is it just the tension of the plastic sleepers which is different? :hmmm:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2018, 12:43:25 PM »
Same stuff. It's mostly the webbing between the sleepers which makes fixed track keep its shape (possibly slightly harder plastic too)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:44:34 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £51.00
Below Goal: £49.00
Site Currency: GBP
51% 
October Donations

anything