!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 72325 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1725 on: March 14, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »
I've decided to go ahead and light under my station awnings with the LED strips. You really don't see the lighting fittings from any viewing angle!

I've used the soldering iron to burn holes to feed the wires, that worked very nicely.

The lighting colour for outdoor lights is cool white to contrast indoor warm light (to mix things up a bit). I'll have to wait till this evening to see if I like the effect.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1726 on: March 14, 2020, 07:13:31 PM »
Here's how the under canopy lighting looks, as mentioned it's cool white to contrast warm white interior lights. May notch the brightness down a bit, it' on 3.3k resistor like the other LEDS but appears brighter being not behind any walls.

My back scene boards have needed 4 coats of white primer to make them pure white as possible. They are now ready for artwork style painting!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1727 on: March 15, 2020, 08:56:00 AM »
I am trying to get hold of 1:160 toilet rolls, but everywhere has sold out. Any idea where I could get some? :smiley-laughing:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1728 on: March 15, 2020, 09:21:17 AM »
@ntpntpntp can I just dasiy chain these? If so, will it need less resistance between the power bus and the start of the chain? 🤔

Obiously I could just try it, like Farady did when he stood out on hilltops in thunderstorms holding a metal rod above his head. :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1729 on: March 15, 2020, 09:39:57 AM »
2 coats of sealent, 4 coats of white primer. Might need a light sand, but nearly ready with the backscene!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1730 on: March 15, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
@ntpntpntp can I just dasiy chain these [three LED strip segments]? If so, will it need less resistance between the power bus and the start of the chain? 🤔

As I understand it each segment of 3 LEDs already has a resistor in the circuit intended for 12V, so they're not going to work when connected in a series "daisy chain" unless you're running from a higher voltage multiple of 12V. With the long LED strips each sub-segment of 3 is wired in parallel across the 12V supply, which is why you can cut the strip at strategic points.

You can add a single additional series resistor to each strip to reduce the brightness, and that resistance will apply to each sub-segment. That's what you've been doing already I think, the same as I did with my shed lighting

btw, those LED filaments I mentioned a while back arrived recently.  Quite neat, though still rather larger than a scale strip light would be of course.  They're rated at 50mA 3V  though I found them quite acceptable at 10mA with suitable resistance.   

At low brightness you can see the individual LED chips - in this blurry photo they're more visible in the reflection off my resistance box!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1731 on: March 15, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »

As I understand it each segment of 3 LEDs already has a resistor in the circuit intended for 12V, so they're not going to work when connected in a series "daisy chain" unless you're running from a higher voltage multiple of 12V. With the long LED strips each sub-segment of 3 is wired in parallel across the 12V supply, which is why you can cut the strip at strategic points.

Hmm over to plan 'B' then. Where can I get very narrow tubes to act as down pipes containing two wires each?

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1732 on: March 15, 2020, 02:17:52 PM »
So if we all end up being locked in our homes for a month, we may need to find a hobby which requires little inter-personal contact, is very time-consuming and burns few calories - oh hang on a minute.... :hmmm: :D

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1733 on: March 15, 2020, 02:52:48 PM »
Where can I get very narrow tubes to act as down pipes containing two wires each?

I have used 'Plastruct' or 'Evergreen' products to hide wiring inside buildings. It can be bought as tubes or square section - from model shops or online.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1734 on: March 15, 2020, 02:55:36 PM »
Where can I get very narrow tubes to act as down pipes containing two wires each?

I have used 'Plastruct' or 'Evergreen' products to hide wiring inside buildings. It can be bought as tubes or square section - from model shops or online.

Ah did not know styrene came in that form - superb thanks for tip!!! :thumbsup: :beers:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1735 on: March 15, 2020, 03:16:44 PM »
@Globibahn so for your under-canopy lights you just need to wire them in parallel, with a single pair of wires running down one of the legs - maybe painted to look like drainpipes? fit an additional resistor in one wire under the baseboard to control the light output.

You might also like to look into sticky-backed thin copper strip which can be used as a conductor - see my photo earlier.

[edit] If by "daisy chain" you meant linking from one to the other with two wires then yes you can do that. It would be parallel wiring in terms of each strip running from the same 12V (each strip contains parallel wiring to pass from one end to the other). I usually consider daisy-chain to mean one wire from one thing to the next in series, with a single return wire at the end of the chain.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:46:39 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1736 on: March 15, 2020, 03:55:40 PM »
@Globibahn so for your under-canopy lights you just need to wire them in parallel, with a single pair of wires running down one of the legs - maybe painted to look like drainpipes? fit an additional resistor in one wire under the baseboard to control the light output.

Fab, I'm with oyu now Nick.

So this is totally ok if I get you rightly

(with addition of a resistor, of course, between power bus and the parallel LEDs)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 03:56:50 PM by Globibahn »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1737 on: March 15, 2020, 04:15:41 PM »
@Globibahn  yep that's the way

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1738 on: March 15, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »
@Globibahn  yep that's the way

Cheers Nick, also for teaching me correct terms!  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards