!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 54181 times)

ngaugepaul, Macnabs and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1710 on: March 07, 2020, 05:10:35 PM »
All remaining catenary on the layout is in the form of masts for cross spans. I'm thinking I'm going to use 2mm x 2mm brass H beam for these masts, would that seem sensible (it does come finer)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-beam-profile-milled-brass-section-for-model-making-in-14-sizes-330mm-long/163671208276?var=463134824346&hash=item261b907154:m:mqn2JC2dFv65sfGHRYUd6tA

Cheers
Matt

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1711 on: March 08, 2020, 09:48:32 AM »
Crossing progress - the goods yard crossing now has road markings for added safety!

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1712 on: March 08, 2020, 09:50:04 AM »
All remaining catenary on the layout is in the form of masts for cross spans. I'm thinking I'm going to use 2mm x 2mm brass H beam for these masts, would that seem sensible (it does come finer)?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H-beam-profile-milled-brass-section-for-model-making-in-14-sizes-330mm-long/163671208276?var=463134824346&hash=item261b907154:m:mqn2JC2dFv65sfGHRYUd6tA

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt. Do you intend having just the vertical posts or or you also going to model the actual cross spans?
I assume that the outstanding catenary is in your station area. If so, have you considered using pairs of similar lighting towers to the ones in your freight yard. They look very similar to the type of supports used by DB for cross spans and would also provide illumination for your station platforms. It is quite common for lighting to be incorporated into the catenary structures.
I know that you have now relocated Globibahn to Switzerland but as your existing catenary is obviously German in appearance I think your cross spans should be the same. As we have said before Globibahn could well be one of those areas that is actually in Switzerland but the catenary/signalling infrastructure has been installed and maintained by the Germans. The line between Singen and the outskirts of Schaffhausen is one such case.
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1713 on: March 08, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
Hi John,

I'm inclined to agree with you on this.

Your idea about the masts is an idea I also had. I actually emailed the company in China to ask if they could sell me faulty or non-functioning versions of the lighting masts but they cannot.

I need 12 single tower masts so I can do the whole south side straight section as well as the station area. Plus 4 to use as siding teminal tension masts (I just made that description up LOL).

The functioning mast lights cost about £5 each so that's just silly, although I do love the look of the lattices.

I did notice a lot of use of H beam around Germany.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1714 on: March 08, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »
Here's the minimum plan for cross-span masts, when I come to install I may need more though.

Cross span masts in magenta, siding tensioners (effectively the same thing) in blue.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:06:52 AM by Globibahn »

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1715 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:26 AM »
Here's the minimum plan for cross-span masts, when I come to install I may need more though.

Cross span masts in magenta, siding tensioners (effectively the same thing) in blue.

Yes, sorry Matt. I hadn't noticed that there was still some catenary outstanding on the "south" side of the layout, I thought you only need about 4 for the station area.
If you are going to represent the DB type cross spans where they suspend the contact wire from cables strung between the masts then I would go for a "H" section that was just a bit more substantial than the average cross-section of your existing lattice posts. They need to look like they could withstand sideways tension. The same goes for the tensioning masts at the end of your sidings.
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1716 on: March 08, 2020, 03:05:34 PM »

If you are going to represent the DB type cross spans where they suspend the contact wire from cables strung between the masts then I would go for a "H" section that was just a bit more substantial than the average cross-section of your existing lattice posts.

[/quote]

Top stuff John, that's the route I'll go down!

Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1717 on: March 08, 2020, 05:04:30 PM »
@ntpntpntp wwould you possibly mind editing this for running Swiss style and could you please indicate which ways the signals face on sidings?

Ta muchly
Matt

Are you going to fit Swiss style signals then, rather than German ones?   

I must admit I don't know Swiss signals, nor who makes N scale models of them (I would imagine the likes of Lemaco / Fulgurex probably do expensive ones!)  In terms of left-hand running it'll be a case of protecting the station area and entrance to / exit from the sidings.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_railway_signalling

https://swissrailsoc.org.uk/links/

I guess 5 & 8 would move to the left and right corners respectively to protect entrance to sidings and to protect the crossover. B becomes a Home signal for the station. 3 protects the siding in case of reversible running.   The actual types of signal would need to be worked out.

Need someone familiar with Swiss signalling practice!
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1718 on: March 08, 2020, 05:32:42 PM »
@ntpntpntp wwould you possibly mind editing this for running Swiss style and could you please indicate which ways the signals face on sidings?

Ta muchly
Matt

Are you going to fit Swiss style signals then, rather than German ones?   

I must admit I don't know Swiss signals, nor who makes N scale models of them (I would imagine the likes of Lemaco / Fulgurex probably do expensive ones!)  In terms of left-hand running it'll be a case of protecting the station area and entrance to / exit from the sidings.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_railway_signalling

https://swissrailsoc.org.uk/links/

I guess 5 & 8 would move to the left and right corners respectively to protect entrance to sidings and to protect the crossover. B becomes a Home signal for the station. 3 protects the siding in case of reversible running.   The actual types of signal would need to be worked out.

Need someone familiar with Swiss signalling practice!

Hi Nick,

No I'll stick with the German ones, being a border region DB got over-enthusiastic and did the infrastucture while the SBB weren't looking  :D

I just meant what changes ar eneeded for right hand -track running?

Cheers
Matt

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1719 on: March 08, 2020, 06:41:58 PM »

No I'll stick with the German ones, being a border region DB got over-enthusiastic and did the infrastucture while the SBB weren't looking  :D

I just meant what changes ar eneeded for right hand -track running?

Cheers
Matt

Haven't you got right-hand running now?

There's no need to change anything really as you can see in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hur59g7bI3E

The German/Swiss border is at 18:38.
The first Swiss signal is at 22:45 and the catenary then starts to change over from German to Swiss.
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1720 on: March 08, 2020, 07:03:40 PM »
Useful video John - llike it! :thumbsup:

I find it so fascinating when the masts change. I wonder why there is no power grid seperator in this region?

Oh yes I'm right running already! Lucky I'm not a train driver  :smiley-laughing:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1721 on: March 08, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »
...................... I wonder why there is no power grid seperator in this region?

I don't know Matt but have you noticed that the power lines to the left of the railway appear to come out of the ground shortly before the border and run on pylons until the border is crossed before disappearing again? ???
John

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1722 on: March 10, 2020, 11:27:03 AM »

I don't know Matt but have you noticed that the power lines to the left of the railway appear to come out of the ground shortly before the border and run on pylons until the border is crossed before disappearing again? ???

An infrastructure conundrum to be sure John!! :confused2:

Meanwhile - After wiping down first with white spirit, I've primed the backscene boards in GAC100 artist's sealant. Next coat is white acrylic primer. Then it's time to get all Van Gogh (or maybe Monet who did some station scenes) :hmmm:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1723 on: March 13, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
Bit concerned about my Euro trip in April re. pesky virus. I've booked my travel to Vienna, Semmering, Munich, Basel etc.. Got cheap rate rail tickets by booking in advance.  :confused2:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1724 on: March 13, 2020, 12:32:49 PM »
2 layers of GAC 100 sealant done.

Now first layer of white acrylic primer.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal