!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 21587 times)

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #165 on: November 20, 2018, 07:03:49 PM »
The advantage of battery operated lighting is that there is no flickering. I have seen something, somewhere, where the lights were operated by a tiny switch, so they did not need to be lit if not required. I will post the details if I find them.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2018, 07:05:55 PM »
The advantage of battery operated lighting is that there is no flickering. I have seen something, somewhere, where the lights were operated by a tiny switch, so they did not need to be lit if not required. I will post the details if I find them.

Cool, thank you! :thumbsup:

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »
I keep making costly mistakes. I've painted most of my points and they're fine, because I didn't paint the sleepers directly on the slidy bits.

But this morning I got overly-bold and painted sleepers under the slidy bits on 2 sets of points, then glued the points down, along with other track.

I've just brought up the whole load of track again which took all this morning and last night to align, because although the points still "work", they don't spring back neatly when passed over again from the opposite direction. So basically they are fooked!

That's more cash down the drain (AKA Gaugemaster), I'll never get any new rolling stock at this rate!!!!! :(

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 09:10:59 PM by Globi »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
Should be able to clean the point up.  Take off the motor first, and see how freely the blades are moving, it might just be something simple that needs a bit of paint scraping off.

You didn't need to paint the sleepers grey though, that was just an optical illusion in one of my photos you saw?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
Should be able to clean the point up.  Take off the motor first, and see how freely the blades are moving, it might just be something simple that needs a bit of paint scraping off.

You didn't need to paint the sleepers grey though, that was just an optical illusion in one of my photos you saw?

Agreed.  A gentle scrape off of the paint and a bit of 'wiggling' the point blades and you'll likely be fine.  A blunt scraper is best, to avoid cutting into the plastic of the slide chairs and risking bits of plastic sticking up and causing difficulties.  Rubbing each of the slide chairs with a soft pencil will give a bit of lubrication if required.   
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2018, 09:34:08 PM »

I'll do that and keep trying to clean them. Well, I painted them to get that concrete look (I should have used Peco track, just never occured to me at the beginning).

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2018, 09:37:26 PM »

Agreed.  A gentle scrape off of the paint and a bit of 'wiggling' the point blades and you'll likely be fine.  A blunt scraper is best, to avoid cutting into the plastic of the slide chairs and risking bits of plastic sticking up and causing difficulties.  Rubbing each of the slide chairs with a soft pencil will give a bit of lubrication if required.   

Crikey the graphite trick worked immediately!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: November 22, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
Ok so I've removed the motors, polished and scraped burnished and graphite-ed. The actions have improved somewhat but they're tripping the trains now. It's £45 up the spout I'll have to replace them.

I've swapped in un-painted points to test the locations and they are fine.

That'll teach me!!!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »
Since I was ordering new points, I decided to get an electric one for the siding which is on the far side of the layout (I've noticed I never bother operating that point because I have to reach across the layout - which is a shame. All other points are within arm's reach of my sitting position). I don't have the fogiest idea how to wire it up. I'm assuming I need some sort of switch and to feed it with power from the multimaus power box or my spare Gaugemaster DC controller? :hmmm:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: November 23, 2018, 04:24:01 PM »
Tunnel update:

I've been rather bothered by my slightly mis-aligned tunnel portals. They sit on curves in the railway so it has been awkward lining them up.

It's dawned on me that ideally you have to make and align the whole portal/retaining walls structure first, then insert the whole lot into a suitably cut opening in the hill. I simply never considered that first time round.

Only one thing for it, tear them out and start again!  :D (that's about the third time I've done them)!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: November 23, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »
I don't have the fogiest idea how to wire [a point motor] up. I'm assuming I need some sort of switch and to feed it with power from the multimaus power box or my spare Gaugemaster DC controller? :hmmm:

Fleischmann point I presume?  Depends whether you want to control it via DCC or keep point control separate? 

Link to Fleischmann point wiring instructions here  http://www.fleischmann.de/doc/an/2/de/BA_942101_201465.pdf

It's a 3-wire system, so for analogue requires a single pole two-way momentary switch for each point motor, often sold as SPDT (ON)-OFF-(ON)    (the parentheses are important, it indicates the two ON positions are momentary).  Should work on either AC or DC - usually an AC supply is used.

For DCC you need an accessory decoder designed for the type of point motor (3-wire solenoid in this case)
Can the Multimaus control point decoders?

« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:48:37 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
Hi there,

I just noticed you were asking about coach lighting.

The kits David linked to look great, but I did not want my coach to light up every time I moved them, so I found a kit with a little switch that I mounted underneath the coach.

The kit included everything, even the wire, and was only £4.25.

Here is how I installed it in an autocoach .......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=41655.msg512761#msg512761

I hope this helps  :D

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2018, 07:02:36 PM »
I don't have the fogiest idea how to wire [a point motor] up. I'm assuming I need some sort of switch and to feed it with power from the multimaus power box or my spare Gaugemaster DC controller? :hmmm:

Fleischmann point I presume?  Depends whether you want to control it via DCC or keep point control separate? 

Link to Fleischmann point wiring instructions here  http://www.fleischmann.de/doc/an/2/de/BA_942101_201465.pdf

It's a 3-wire system, so for analogue requires a single pole two-way momentary switch for each point motor, often sold as SPDT (ON)-OFF-(ON)    (the parentheses are important, it indicates the two ON positions are momentary).  Should work on either AC or DC - usually an AC supply is used.

For DCC you need an accessory decoder designed for the type of point motor (3-wire solenoid in this case)
Can the Multimaus control point decoders?

Thanks Nick, yes it's Fleishmann (ex-Roco) track. The Multimaus does indeed do points, but as it's just the one set of points, I'll just stick with analogue methinks (unless decoders for points are really cheap). Ta for switch info and link.

At the rate everything else is going (aka making look Panama canal look speedy) , it will probably be weeks before I'm actually wiring it up!  :D

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
... as it's just the one set of points, I'll just stick with analogue methinks (unless decoders for points are really cheap). Ta for switch info and link.
Well you can buy accessory decoders with just a single channel, or if you did plan to motorise more points then it's worth considering a multi-channel decoder.

Personally I much prefer good old analogue switches on a real control panel over pressing a sequence of buttons on a DCC controller.  I've played around with PC control too but didn't find it particularly satisfying.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything