!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 45841 times)

AJP, MoonGoddess and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1590 on: February 06, 2020, 03:14:37 PM »
Quick rant here:

As you probably guessed, IMO Nightjet trains are one of the current great joys of European railways. Why then, are the only N-scale models the very pricey LS Models multi packs - couldn't Fleischman/Minitrix/Arnold come up with something more at the economic end of the price scale and avaible singley?

It's much the same in HO - buying an HO model (wouldn't mind one for display) means the ludicrously priced ACME models, for millionaires only and also only in multipack form!

I wonder if there is some sinister licencing thing afoot? :hmmm:  :veryangry:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1591 on: February 06, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »

I really love the mini 2 pin plugs, they work great for the building lighting. In a moment of reckless abandon, I decided to use them for bringing the main supply to both the lighting and track power buses. Now I'm wondering, although they work, are they robust enough for these key input sources?  :hmmm:

I think I'd be tempted to go for something a little larger with more current carrying capacity, and something you can fit a decent hood over the connector.   I use the good old computer D-Sub types, but there's nothing to stop you using traditional banana plugs and sockets arranged so you can only plug them in with the correct polarity (ie. one male and one female on each side of the connection).

I gotta say, with those header pin connectors use red and black heat shrink to mark the polarity on each half, rather than red on both poles??  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1592 on: February 06, 2020, 09:54:03 PM »
Quick rant here:

As you probably guessed, IMO Nightjet trains are one of the current great joys of European railways. Why then, are the only N-scale models the very pricey LS Models multi packs - couldn't Fleischman/Minitrix/Arnold come up with something more at the economic end of the price scale and avaible singley?

It's much the same in HO - buying an HO model (wouldn't mind one for display) means the ludicrously priced ACME models, for millionaires only and also only in multipack form!

I wonder if there is some sinister licencing thing afoot? :hmmm:  :veryangry:

Hi Matt. The LS Nightjets are licensed models so, as you suspect, that will have some influence on the price. The intricate livery, level of detail and unique design of some of the coaches must also be considered. I know for a fact that some organisations will not license a model unless it is totally accurate so it's not just a case of taking a similar model from your existing range and giving it a Nightjet livery. The big boys probably don't think it would be economically viable to make completely new models for what is probably quite a limited market and even if they did they would probably sell them as a set in order to try and recoup their costs as quickly as possible. With that I think we're back to square one. :D
John

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1593 on: February 07, 2020, 09:46:54 AM »
Many years ago when "Le Buffet Suisse" looked after the catering on Swiss trains they commissioned an N Gauge model of one of their restaurant cars. These models were available to buy both onboard trains and in some model shops.
Perhaps you could approach OBB Nightjet and suggest that they do a similar thing with one of their sleepers? I'm sure that there are many tourists who would like such a model as a small souvenir of their journey, yourself included. With a guaranteed order I would think LS would be willing to produce a batch of individual cars. Just a thought. :hmmm:
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1594 on: February 07, 2020, 10:04:02 AM »

I think I'd be tempted to go for something a little larger with more current carrying capacity, and something you can fit a decent hood over the connector.   I use the good old computer D-Sub types, but there's nothing to stop you using traditional banana plugs and sockets arranged so you can only plug them in with the correct polarity (ie. one male and one female on each side of the connection).

I gotta say, with those header pin connectors use red and black heat shrink to mark the polarity on each half, rather than red on both poles??  :D

Yes I agree, I'll swap out for something more robust. Watch this space.

Re the heat shrink - I was going by wire colour, though I agree having matching heatshrink would be better! Will have to try to source.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1595 on: February 07, 2020, 10:05:37 AM »
Many years ago when "Le Buffet Suisse" looked after the catering on Swiss trains they commissioned an N Gauge model of one of their restaurant cars. These models were available to buy both onboard trains and in some model shops.
Perhaps you could approach OBB Nightjet and suggest that they do a similar thing with one of their sleepers? I'm sure that there are many tourists who would like such a model as a small souvenir of their journey, yourself included. With a guaranteed order I would think LS would be willing to produce a batch of individual cars. Just a thought. :hmmm:

Ah yes your comments re. Nightjet make sense. Yes I'll get in contact with OBB, it's work a try  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1596 on: February 07, 2020, 10:08:40 AM »
A doe, a deer a female deer...  :D

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1597 on: February 07, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »
A doe, a deer a female deer...  :D

I think the paint fumes might be getting to you Matt. :D
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1598 on: February 07, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »

you mean like this Roco/Staiber one I picked up on ebay a few weeks ago?  Wasn't cheap but I had to have it  :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1599 on: February 07, 2020, 06:36:02 PM »

you mean like this Roco/Staiber one I picked up on ebay a few weeks ago?  Wasn't cheap but I had to have it  :D

Yes that's the one Nick. When I got mine I was quite surprised to see that Staiber had actually modified the original Roco bodywork to better represent the real thing and not just repainted it.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1600 on: February 07, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »

I think the paint fumes might be getting to you Matt. :D

Just call me Baron Von Trapp!  :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1601 on: February 07, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »

Great model, I love that livery - goes very well with SBB eurocity consists. :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1602 on: February 08, 2020, 11:00:01 AM »
After lengthy discussions out in the car park, it's been decided that today's activity will be digging a hole. :D

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #1603 on: February 08, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
In the words of the song.......

Do you mind if I make a suggestion?

Don't dig there, dig it elsewhere
You're digging it round and it ought to be square
The shape of it's wrong, it's much much too long