!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 45358 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1545 on: January 27, 2020, 07:34:38 AM »
Well if you don't want to buy a whole set of resistors with a range of values, for starters you could get some 1k  and try a second one in series with the street lamp to give you 2k total, or even try two more in series to make 3k total ... and so on until they look right.

Ahhhaaaaa - did not realised you could put them in series. Most excellent! Thank you  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1546 on: January 27, 2020, 03:06:34 PM »
Nearly there with the lights outside the station. I've ordered some LED stirps for doing the buildings/station canopies etc..

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1547 on: January 28, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »
Few more pics...

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1548 on: January 30, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »
@ntpntpntp the led light strips have come - they're great. I agree a tad too bright though.

Do you solder the resistor to the red or the black wire? Also it looks like the strips can be wired up in series, is that the case? That would be handy as then I only need one supply coming up from the power bus into the building.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1549 on: January 30, 2020, 11:37:53 AM »
More figure painting!

This is the definitive all-rounder Presier set for N Gauge, but it doesn't half cost and arm and a leg :censored:. Near enough £30. Seems to cost about 50% than it should, although tthe quaility level is of course very good.

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1550 on: January 30, 2020, 11:46:41 AM »
You've got more patience than I have Matt. :D
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1551 on: January 30, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
@ntpntpntp the led light strips have come - they're great. I agree a tad too bright though.

Do you solder the resistor to the red or the black wire?
It doesn't matter, add the resistor to whichever side you like. Be consistent though :-)

Also it looks like the strips can be wired up in series, is that the case? That would be handy as then I only need one supply coming up from the power bus into the building.
No they're pre-made for 12V so need to be in parallel otherwise each strip will only see a fraction of your supply voltage. I don't think they work on much less than 9V. You still only need one feed from the bus though.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 12:14:05 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1552 on: January 30, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
You've got more patience than I have Matt. :D

Thanks John, think I get it from my father who was very meticulous (and consequently took ages to do anything, bless him)!  :D

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1553 on: January 30, 2020, 12:19:43 PM »

No they're pre-made for 12V so need to be in parallel otherwise each strip will only see a fraction of your supply voltage. I don't think they work on much less than 9V. You still only need one feed from the bus though.

Great thanks Nick, all clear, lucky I checked!  :thumbsup: :beers:

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1554 on: January 30, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »

Great thanks Nick, all clear, lucky I checked!  :thumbsup: :beers:

I was just thinking about what you asked:  do you mean daisy-chaining strips together, ie. linking the pair of wires to other end of the previous strip?  That would work, you are still linking each sub-module of 3 LEDs in parallel, but would make it more difficult to get the extra resistor correct as it would need to be suitable for a multiple of the current one strip draws so would need to be a higher wattage resistor.

I suspect it's simpler just to add a resistor to each strip and then link them in parallel, you could have one choc-bloc or tag-strip pair within the building and distribute power to the strips from that.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1555 on: January 30, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »

I was just thinking about what you asked:  do you mean daisy-chaining strips together

Yes that's what I was getting at. However I've just installed two seperate strips in my first building and just did it in parallel and that's totally fine. Might need to add extra resistance to top floor- have to check when it's nightfall (it's the camera exposure making it look so overly bright in the photo :D).

Maybe when it comes to the platform canopies will consider daisy chaining.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 02:05:16 PM by Globibahn »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1556 on: January 30, 2020, 01:53:34 PM »
By the way, I've just realised that having wired-in buildings presents an issue. I don't want to glue the buildings to the baseboard (I envisage carefully packing buildings seperately in the event of transporting the layout).

But, I will be needing to flip the baseboard regularly for doing additional wiring work. Should I devise a system using plugs so the buildings can be quickly taken off?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1557 on: January 30, 2020, 03:07:51 PM »
Yes I've actually used some tiny two-pin plugs and sockets so that I can remove the roofs of my sheds for track cleaning.  No reason why you couldn't devise something similar at the base of your buildings so the whole thing lifts and unplugs.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1558 on: January 30, 2020, 03:13:18 PM »
Yes I've actually used some tiny two-pin plugs and sockets so that I can remove the roofs of my sheds for track cleaning.  No reason why you couldn't devise something similar at the base of your buildings so the whole thing lifts and unplugs.

Grand. :thumbsup:

This sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Sets-JST-2-54-SM-2-Pin-Connector-plug-Female-Male-with-Wires-Cables-EW/293363113636?epid=14025079858&hash=item444dcddea4:g:CL0AAOSw4GVYN~Ao

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1559 on: January 30, 2020, 06:31:39 PM »

Grand. :thumbsup:

This sort of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Sets-JST-2-54-SM-2-Pin-Connector-plug-Female-Male-with-Wires-Cables-EW/293363113636?epid=14025079858&hash=item444dcddea4:g:CL0AAOSw4GVYN~Ao

They're good but looks like they are locking ones so a bit trickier to simply lift the building off to disconnect.

The ones I used came from a trade stand at an exhibition, but they are the 2-pin versions of these plugs and sockets.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-Header-Pins-Sockets-2-54mm-Pitch-Straight-Plugs-PIC-Arduino-Pi-Breadboard/131921173215

I soldered the wires to them myself, with suitable heatshrink around the pins, and set the two parts in epoxy so they line up when the roof is replaced.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal