!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 24656 times)

Online Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »
Funnily enough, last time I read up on this topic, was when I was trying to stop bass from my speakers travelling down to the flat below. The things I learned were: A - don't have speakers in the corner of the room and B - Coupling. Apparently when a speaker is accoustically connected to whatever it is sitting on, this then also acts as a speaker - e.g. the floor or furniture it may be sitting on. To uncouple it from said furniture, the speaker needs to sit on a soft wallowy mass (I used neoprene pads in the end) thereby uncoupling it. The worst thing to sit speakers or stands on (in terms of preventing sound waves travelling to neighbours) was needle points as these couple the speaker very effectively to the surface below.

And this all ties in with what you are saying!

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »
...The worst thing to sit speakers or stands on (in terms of preventing sound waves travelling to neighbours) was needle points as these couple the speaker very effectively to the surface below.

Yeah, it used to be the fashion to fit needle points to speaker stand feet and between the speaker and the stand, I still have all the points that came with mine but I used "black-tac" instead.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2018, 03:34:35 PM »
I've taken an unorthodox step and decided to make my hill out of sponge cake, coated with dark chocolate. The idea is, I will be able to nibble at it whilst playing with the trains. I'll replace the trees with sugar trees of course to match.  :laugh:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »
turn it into a Swiss Roll   :D  :D
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2018, 04:05:01 PM »
And take a Swiss Army Knife to it to slice it up  :D

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2018, 04:07:24 PM »
turn it into a Swiss Roll   :D  :D

Yum - good idea - ha ha! :laugh:

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Utter chaos on the layout again today. I've had to tweak the tunnel portal areas a lot, much adjustment/ re-doing needed to get them looking right - can't tell you the amount of time I've been sticking down and unsticking again!

Further track has been getting painted and then glued down also. My soldering iron also arrived, so at some point I can do nice soldered connections to a bus wire. I'll also use it to scratch build catenary - most likely using HO rail to represent 'I' beam style masts/gantries.

Woodland scenics scatter material is also in the post, so working on greenery on the hill looks imminent.

Sometimes when the track is clear and joined up I actually get to play with the trains a bit. I've got a container wagon in the post to start building up my cargo train - I love the graphics on cargo stuff, I was never previously that interested in freight but am now!

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2018, 01:53:09 PM »
It's looking splendid, Matt.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2018, 06:24:12 PM »
It's looking splendid, Matt.

John

Cheers John!  :beers:

Offline Miek

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2018, 06:57:27 AM »
Yes it's coming along nicely. What did you paint the sleepers with. Is it from those little Tamiya acrylic paint pots or something else?

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
I'd love to interior light my Arnold coaches. Any ideas on how to go about this?

Cheers
Matt

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »
In the old days you would probably have used the Arnold coach lighting kit

https://www.ebay.de/p/Arnold-N-7362-Wagenbeleuchtung-Innenbeleuchtung-f%C3%BCr-4-achs-Personenwagen/1811010407

I haven't checked whether Hornby/Arnold still offer such a kit. Plus of course you're DCC aren't you? Those kits should still work but probably be very bright, and would benefit from changing to LEDs with a bridge rectifier and voltage drop resistor.

Must admit I've never been a fan of lighting in coaches, too much flicker and also added drag from the wheel or axle pickups. I usually disable any lighting I find in 2nd hand coaches.  An alternative might be to find a 3rd party lighting kit maybe battery powered?

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2018, 06:26:23 PM »

Must admit I've never been a fan of lighting in coaches, too much flicker and also added drag from the wheel or axle pickups.

Oh that would be annoying! I might stick with just having layout lighting then.

Online Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2018, 06:29:29 PM »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £61.00
Below Goal: £39.00
Site Currency: GBP
61%