!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 63639 times)

Offline swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1455 on: December 15, 2019, 11:09:54 AM »
I'd be interested to hear what any of you have named your layouts - I know that Nick's is Königshafen but I'm not sure of anybody elses?

Hi Matt. I call my layout "Sustenbahn" because it is an imaginary line jointly operated by the SBB and BLS that links the Lötschberg and Gotthard routes via a tunnel under the Susten Pass. My two main stations are Schlossfelden (SBB) and Primelbach (BLS). Schlossfelden is a popular all year round tourist destination and as such gives me an excuse to run trains from outside of Switzerland (DB, OBB, FS, SNCF etc). I suppose really it should be called "Sustenbahn 2" as my last Swiss layout had a similar imaginary theme.

A few pics of the original Sustenbahn.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 11:11:28 AM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #1456 on: December 15, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
Current route planning looks a bit like this but will prob change it (also depends on finances of course).

Copenhagen-Malmo (day)
Malmo - Berlin (boat rain day/night)
Berlin - Vienna (night)
Vienna - Milan (night)
Milan - Florence (day)
Florence - Rome (day)
Rome - Syracuse (boat trian day/night)

Just caught up with the last pages: Wow, that sounds like a great trip! :thumbsup:

I wasn’t aware of the Malmö–Berlin night train. However, I have been to Sweden and Denmark this summer and took a train ferry between Rødby, Denmark and Puttgarden, Germany on my way back. I chose this route because the TEE Merkur used this train ferry between Copenhagen and Hamburg in the 1970s. Although I didn’t use the train, just the ferry – and my (t)rusty Swedish convertible. :-[

Here’s as a teaser for your journey, one picture of a Danish train ferry, the Prins Richard.
I was on the sister ship Prinsesse Benedikte, and I have just read that yesterday evening Prinsesse Benedikte carried the very last EuroCity between Puttgarden and Rødby. With today’s Europe-wide timetable change the train ferries there are history, and the EuroCity trains will take the 160 km longer route over the Great Belt bridge instead.

This double-ended ferry has a railway track of 118 m length, enough for a 4-unit DB BR 605 ICE-TD or 2x3-unit DSB IC3’s. When I was travelling there was no train on board. This ferry route takes just 45 minutes.

If you take the Malmö–Berlin night train you will go from Trelleborg to Sassnitz-Mukran with the Sassnitz, a much larger train ferry which can carry up to 56 freight wagons (the night train is the only remaining passenger train) on five tracks with more than 700 m length. The passage will take four hours, plenty of time for the ship’s restaurant or bar. :)
Peter

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1457 on: December 15, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
Mine is Steinheim am Main. Steinheim is a real place, on the river Main in the administrative district of Hanau east of Frankfurt am Main. Formerly Steinheim am Main, the town lost the suffix "am Main" when it came under the city of Hanau. It has a railway station, although my layout bears zero resemblance to the actual Steinheim station which now is a simple halt on the Frankfurt S-Bahn system. So why is my layout named after such an inconspicuous station? Because I stayed their on a school exchange in 1977 and it was in Steinheim that I first really encountered German railways.

Thank you Bruce, seems good reasoning to me! :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1458 on: December 15, 2019, 06:42:02 PM »
Hi Matt. I call my layout "Sustenbahn" because it is an imaginary line jointly operated by the SBB and BLS that links the Lötschberg and Gotthard routes via a tunnel under the Susten Pass. My two main stations are Schlossfelden (SBB) and Primelbach (BLS). Schlossfelden is a popular all year round tourist destination and as such gives me an excuse to run trains from outside of Switzerland (DB, OBB, FS, SNCF etc). I suppose really it should be called "Sustenbahn 2" as my last Swiss layout had a similar imaginary theme.

Ah I had wondered John - good name for your layout. Yes I suppose your current version shoud be 'Sustenbahn Zwei'! Fab photos as ever.  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1459 on: December 15, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »

Just caught up with the last pages: Wow, that sounds like a great trip! :thumbsup:

If you take the Malmö–Berlin night train you will go from Trelleborg to Sassnitz-Mukran with the Sassnitz, a much larger train ferry which can carry up to 56 freight wagons (the night train is the only remaining passenger train) on five tracks with more than 700 m length. The passage will take four hours, plenty of time for the ship’s restaurant or bar. :)

Thanks Hiawatha, useful background info. I must admit I know rather little about boat trains but very excited about the prospect of using them, I'm sure I'll learn a lot!

Matt  :beers:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1460 on: December 16, 2019, 05:09:38 PM »
I know its commercially motivated, but these Fallervilles in german stations are a brilliant idea to popularise the hobby!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fallerville/48183393916/in/photostream/

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1461 on: December 16, 2019, 05:52:33 PM »
My BR110 is back to it's old jerky behaviour tricks :'(.

It's critical now to ascertain if this is mechanical or decoder related. I'll do John's trick of using crocodile clips to make the layout DC temporarily. I'll put a blanking plug in the BR110, as Zimo advise not to use their MX616 chips on DC.

Maybe I do have to get into decoder tuning, if these problems are going to be cropping up with certain locos. 

Offline ntpntpntp

• Königshafen thread on NGF
    • Awards
« Reply #1462 on: December 16, 2019, 06:29:51 PM »
My BR110 is back to it's old jerky behaviour tricks :'(.

You're not having much luck are you :-(

I'll do John's trick of using crocodile clips to make the layout DC temporarily. I'll put a blanking plug in the BR110, as Zimo advise not to use their MX616 chips on DC.
.. having disconnected the DCC system from the layout first of course.  To paraphrase old Jones-y "they don't like it up 'em!"

Maybe I do have to get into decoder tuning, if these problems are going to be cropping up with certain locos.
Doesn't seem to be a general requirement to tune every decoder to the loco.   Might be worth looking around on the decoder manufacturer's site, they do sometimes have example recommended settings for specific motors/locos.  For starters, have a look and see if there are recommended PWM frequency settings?  Also maybe try turning off the back-EMF or "load control" option if the decoder has one? That way the decoder is simply driving the motor and not also trying to apply a negative feedback algorithm to keep the speed constant.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1463 on: December 16, 2019, 07:28:11 PM »

You're not having much luck are you :-(
  Might be worth looking around on the decoder manufacturer's site, they do sometimes have example recommended settings for specific motors/locos.  For starters, have a look and see if there are recommended PWM frequency settings?  Also maybe try turning off the back-EMF or "load control" option if the decoder has one? That way the decoder is simply driving the motor and not also trying to apply a negative feedback algorithm to keep the speed constant.

Hi Nick, thanks for tips.

The Zimo manual does make reference to a mysterious Fleishmann 'Round Motor', which it says is the latest Fleishmann style of motor. But is it talking about HO or N?

There are preset Fleishman settings which can be assigned to CV 8 but they make no difference.

The references to back EMF are hard to decipher:

I've just taken the chip out and put it back in (it wasn't loose though) and the loco seems to run smootly now. But every time I write that it seems doomed to begin stuttering/ lurching again!

I have to repeat, my Arnold 1046, and Flm BRE03, Flm Hercules, Flm BR146 and Flm AE6/6 all glide around totally smoothly.

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1464 on: December 16, 2019, 08:35:14 PM »
"Flm BR146"...……..Where's that baby hiding?  You kept that quiet. :D
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1465 on: December 16, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »

Lol Ooops I meant the SBB Cargo RE482!  :D Can't always remember the designations properly  ;D

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1466 on: December 16, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »

Lol Ooops I meant the SBB Cargo RE482!  :D Can't always remember the designations properly  ;D
I had a feeling you meant the 482. They do look very similar. :D
John

Offline ntpntpntp

• Königshafen thread on NGF
    • Awards
« Reply #1467 on: December 16, 2019, 09:41:10 PM »
What, no 146?   Ok then, here you go:  BR146 (rear) and BR246   (Fleischmann and Arnold respectively)  :D

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1468 on: December 16, 2019, 09:44:23 PM »
What, no 146?   Ok then, here you go:  BR146 (rear) and BR246   (Fleischmann and Arnold respectively)  :D

Nice!

I'm sure if I got my yellow and blue Tamiya paints out I could do a quick conversion job  :smiley-laughing:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1469 on: December 16, 2019, 09:46:53 PM »
I had a feeling you meant the 482. They do look very similar. :D

LOL yes they do!

I can never remember the designation for Tauruses (Tauri?) either. Or for Hercules (Herculi?). Or for the Vectorn. Names are so much easier!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
75% 
July Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal