!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout  (Read 45198 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1440 on: December 14, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
Do you just add muffling to any empty spaces that can be found? Is expanded polysteyrene a good material?

Even expanded polystyrene can be quite resonant. I'd go for something more foam-like. It will be a case of trial and error to find what is most effective.

I'm with you, yes I 'll see what I can find that's more like spongy foam. I have two quite big cavities in the form of the two landscape modules sitting atop the layout too, it may pay to fill them likewise. :thumbsup:

Offline swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1441 on: December 14, 2019, 04:42:28 PM »
It's a Fleischmann loco IIRC? Would it be OK with No. 2 end leading and rough with No. 1 end leading by any chance? That seems to be a Fleischmann 'thing'.

Interesting. How do you determine direction 1 and 2? :hmmm:

I'm assuming that BlythPower is referring to the Cab Nos. found on the real thing. e.g. the number "1" you can see on your loco to the right of the cab door.

I can't say that I have come across this Fleischmann "thing" and on some locos the body can be fitted either way onto the chassis (rightly or wrongly) so No.1 and No.2 End isn't always a good reference point.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1442 on: December 14, 2019, 04:48:39 PM »
I'm assuming that BlythPower is referring to the Cab Nos. found on the real thing. e.g. the number "1" you can see on your loco to the right of the cab door.

I agree that number on the body shell is not reliable, as it seems as you say that body shells can often be reversed, rightly or wrongly.

By the way, is there any current thinking on how long you can leave layout LED lighting switched on for? I noticed by chance that the resistors seem to get quite warm, being as they are in their heat shrink wrapping.  :hmmm:

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1443 on: December 14, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »

……………………………………….
By the way, is there any current thinking on how long you can leave layout LED lighting switched on for? I noticed by chance that the resistors seem to get quite warm, being as they are in their heat shrink wrapping.  :hmmm:
"current" thinking  :D :D
Sounds like one for Nick. He will have had plenty of experience with prolonged LED use at exhibitions.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:55:44 PM by swisstrains »
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1444 on: December 14, 2019, 06:21:29 PM »
Ha ha John pardon the unintended pun!

BTW, was this the Weinert railing product?

https://weinert-modellbau.de/shop/weinert-modellbau-spur-n/gelaender-fuer-bruecken-in-moderner-ausfuehrung-n-detail

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1445 on: December 14, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »

LEDs last for 1000s of hours.  I tend to use a higher value resistor and reduce the current/brightness a little, but it depends on what effect you're looking for. 

I've not had my ebay mast lights running yet: I now have 12V and 9V regulator boards to install under each baseboard, then I'll try the lights and determine what resistors give the brightness I want. The 9V is primarily for any effects which are designed for battery operation (eg. a little welder flasher for my workshop), but  I'll probably also run the LED lighting from 9V and reserve the 12V for grain of rice bulbs etc. which need that high a voltage.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1446 on: December 14, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »
………………………………………...
BTW, was this the Weinert railing product?

https://weinert-modellbau.de/shop/weinert-modellbau-spur-n/gelaender-fuer-bruecken-in-moderner-ausfuehrung-n-detail

Yes, that's the stuff.
Not cheap but it's nice and fine unlike some of the overscale plastic fencing.
John

Offline BlythPower

• Deutsche Bundesbahn in den 80ern
    • Awards
« Reply #1447 on: December 14, 2019, 10:16:00 PM »
It's a Fleischmann loco IIRC? Would it be OK with No. 2 end leading and rough with No. 1 end leading by any chance? That seems to be a Fleischmann 'thing'.

Interesting. How do you determine direction 1 and 2? :hmmm:

I can't say that I have come across this Fleischmann "thing" and on some locos the body can be fitted either way onto the chassis (rightly or wrongly) so No.1 and No.2 End isn't always a good reference point.

With Fleischmann electric locos with the option of current collection via the pantograph and determined by a switch on the roof, you have to get the body the right way round or the switch contacts end up in the wrong place and they don't work!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1448 on: December 15, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »

LEDs last for 1000s of hours.  I tend to use a higher value resistor and reduce the current/brightness a little, but it depends on what effect you're looking for. 

I've not had my ebay mast lights running yet: I now have 12V and 9V regulator boards to install under each baseboard, then I'll try the lights and determine what resistors give the brightness I want.

Cheers Nick. While they do last 1000s of hours I was wondering if there should be a limit to how many minutes you run them before turning them off for a bit. Is there danger of the resistors burning out if they are left on for 3 hours or so?  :hmmm:

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1449 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »
With Fleischmann electric locos with the option of current collection via the pantograph and determined by a switch on the roof, you have to get the body the right way round or the switch contacts end up in the wrong place and they don't work!

True!  :thumbsup: But loco in question is not a version with overhead collection.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1450 on: December 15, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »

Cheers Nick. While [LEDs] do last 1000s of hours I was wondering if there should be a limit to how many minutes you run them before turning them off for a bit. Is there danger of the resistors burning out if they are left on for 3 hours or so?  :hmmm:

No not at all, they can run continuously.    Resistors do get warm, but if they are getting stupidly hot that implies they are having to dissipate too much heat, which would mean too much current flow for their rated power capacity.  The little resistors we use can be rated as low as 1/4W or even only 1/8W
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1451 on: December 15, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »

True!  :thumbsup: But loco in question is not a version with overhead collection.

On the older Fleischmann locos (and some from other makers)) the pantograph contacts were a good way of ensuring that the body was on the right way round but as Matt points out that no longer applies with the more modern locos. The body can often be reversed and it is only things like underframe detail being on the wrong side in relation to the cabs that can give it away. Not something that is easily noticed without close examination and then not applicable to all locos. Even on Fleischmann locos with current collecting pantographs the changeover switch is often on the underside of the chassis so apart from the contact strip under the roof not making proper contact there is nothing to stop the body being put on the wrong way round. So few modellers use the pantographs for current collection nowadays that the body being incorrectly fitted could go undetected for years.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1452 on: December 15, 2019, 10:00:12 AM »
No not at all, they can run continuously.    Resistors do get warm, but if they are getting stupidly hot that implies they are having to dissipate too much heat, which would mean too much current flow for their rated power capacity.  The little resistors we use can be rated as low as 1/4W or even only 1/8W

Ah that's good. I wouldn't describe them as being really hot, more very warm (not very scientific I know). I mean, I can pinch them and it's not burning me!

The wall mounted transformer with ciruit board regulator thingummy is 12v DC at 1.1 Amp but no indication of the wattage. I could swap to using the Gauge Master control knob dooh-dah instead, but I like the simplicity of the little regulator circuit board and the brightness is perfect.

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/gaugemaster-gmc-wm1.html
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:03:02 AM by Globibahn »

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1453 on: December 15, 2019, 10:09:41 AM »
I'd be interested to hear what any of you have named your layouts - I know that Nick's is Königshafen but I'm not sure of anybody elses?

Offline GScaleBruce

• Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #1454 on: December 15, 2019, 11:02:15 AM »
I'd be interested to hear what any of you have named your layouts - I know that Nick's is Königshafen but I'm not sure of anybody elses?

Mine is Steinheim am Main. Steinheim is a real place, on the river Main in the administrative district of Hanau east of Frankfurt am Main. Formerly Steinheim am Main, the town lost the suffix "am Main" when it came under the city of Hanau. It has a railway station, although my layout bears zero resemblance to the actual Steinheim station which now is a simple halt on the Frankfurt S-Bahn system. So why is my layout named after such an inconspicuous station? Because I stayed their on a school exchange in 1977 and it was in Steinheim that I first really encountered German railways.
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £30.00
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything