!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 55166 times)

Online swisstrains

• Trade Count: (0)
    • My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1395 on: December 10, 2019, 06:18:52 PM »
Here's an interseting shot I found on line - believe it's Basel station. Is the sleeper car being used as makeshift lodgings for service personnel?

It's possible. I remember an RBe4/4 railcar being used as a messroom in one of the bay platforms at Brig.
It's also possible that it was still in use. The photo is dated December 2005 and SBB didn't withdraw their sleeper services until 2009.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1396 on: December 10, 2019, 10:15:25 PM »
Don't need to bend the contacts out too far, that looks a bit excessive!   When you're replacing the wheels, roll them into the axle slot rather than going straight down vertically. That way the wheels take up the contacts and draw them into place, and you don't usually need to use tweezers to guide the contacts back behind the wheels.

I use non-scented baby-wipes / wet wipes for cleaning up dusty/dirty bodyshells. I find they are gentle yet effective.

Good advice Nick, ok will take that on board!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1397 on: December 11, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »

It's possible. I remember an RBe4/4 railcar being used as a messroom in one of the bay platforms at Brig.
It's also possible that it was still in use. The photo is dated December 2005 and SBB didn't withdraw their sleeper services until 2009.

Good point, it's probably still in passenger use in the photo. It looked a little faded in the paintwork so initially thought it might have been decomissioned.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1398 on: December 11, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »
Loco repairs update:
I'm a little hesitant to report back so soon, as I know locos can be tempramental and the way they perform after adjustments doesn't always seem to stay consistant.

Red BR101
After splaying the wheel contacts this loco is mostly good but I will be putting in the replacement brushes I've just ordered to try to get it back to 100% performance. It still stutters a bit now and then.

Blue/cream BR110
Likewise after splaying the wheel contacts on this loco it now seems fixed, it ran well all of yesterday at least.

Couple of unrelated thoughts while I'm at it:

I could do with a light bulb on the layout indicating that it is live. Not really sure how to work this, as the on/off is controlled by the Multimaus. I'm sick of shorting it out by accident when I place and remove stock, forgetting to check if it's live or not first. I guess I could just run a couple of wires from the track to a lightbulb.

I could also do with a switch to turn the layout lighting on/off, as currently I'm turning it on and off at the mains.

The transformer for the lighting is the Gaugemaster little mini bare circuit board thingummy. It has no apparent way of mounting it and it looks a little exposed to mishaps just sitting there.

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1399 on: December 11, 2019, 10:53:24 AM »

Good point, it's probably still in passenger use in the photo. It looked a little faded in the paintwork so initially thought it might have been decomissioned.

You could well be right about it being decommissioned Matt. The paintwork does look faded especially the SBB Pleitegeier and the stars etc.
John

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1400 on: December 11, 2019, 10:59:36 AM »
Couple of unrelated thoughts while I'm at it:

I could do with a light bulb on the layout indicating that it is live. Not really sure how to work this, as the on/off is controlled by the Multimaus. I'm sick of shorting it out by accident when I place and remove stock, forgetting to check if it's live or not first. I guess I could just run a couple of wires from the track to a lightbulb.

I could also do with a switch to turn the layout lighting on/off, as currently I'm turning it on and off at the mains.

The transformer for the lighting is the Gaugemaster little mini bare circuit board thingummy. It has no apparent way of mounting it and it looks a little exposed to mishaps just sitting there.

You could have red buffer stop lights as your indicator that the track is 'live'?

And a small enclosure with a switch added would help with your lighting circuit transformer. Gaugemaster might even do a case for it....
Gizzy

Gentleman, scholar, railway modeller....

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1401 on: December 11, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »

You could have red buffer stop lights as your indicator that the track is 'live'?

And a small enclosure with a switch added would help with your lighting circuit transformer. Gaugemaster might even do a case for it....

Ingenious, yes those are great ideas! So it's def. ok to have some lights coming off the track circuit?

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1402 on: December 11, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »

Ingenious, yes those are great ideas! So it's def. ok to have some lights coming off the track circuit?

I do so on my G scale layout, but I haven't yet done so on N gauge. you should be able to find something that works on DCC or DC at your local model shop....
Gizzy

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #1403 on: December 11, 2019, 11:20:44 AM »

I do so on my G scale layout, but I haven't yet done so on N gauge. You should be able to find something that works on DCC or DC at your local model shop....
Gizzy

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1404 on: December 11, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
to indicate the track output is live you just need an LED and a suitable resistor, preferably plus an inverse-parallel diode across the LED to avoid too much reverse bias on the LED due to the AC-like nature of DCC (some folk fear it could blow the LED though I've never had that happen with LEDs on 15V ac).

That little bare electronic module you're showing in the photo looks like is just a rectifier/voltage regulator not a transformer?  From the input socket style I guess it's being fed from a low voltage AC or DC output from a transformer "wall wart" or laptop-style power brick?  you certainly wouldn't it to be open like that if it were a mains transformer!    Just stick it to the underside of the baseboard with a sticky pad, or I sometimes use a couple of cable clips to hold such modules in place if they have no screw holes.   You might even find there is space on the circuit board to drill a hole or two?

Alternatively, mount that module in a little project box - load of those on ebay.  Used to be able to wander into a Maplin stop and buy them off the shelf.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instrument-Case-Electronic-Project-Box-Enclosure-Boxes-Waterproof-Cover-Project/323847122280

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:28:09 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1405 on: December 11, 2019, 01:31:04 PM »
to indicate the track output is live you just need an LED and a suitable resistor, preferably plus an inverse-parallel diode across the LED to avoid too much reverse bias on the LED due to the AC-like nature of DCC (some folk fear it could blow the LED though I've never had that happen with LEDs on 15V ac).

That little bare electronic module you're showing in the photo looks like is just a rectifier/voltage regulator not a transformer?  From the input socket style I guess it's being fed from a low voltage AC or DC output from a transformer "wall wart" or laptop-style power brick?  you certainly wouldn't it to be open like that if it were a mains transformer!    Just stick it to the underside of the baseboard with a sticky pad, or I sometimes use a couple of cable clips to hold such modules in place if they have no screw holes.   You might even find there is space on the circuit board to drill a hole or two?

Alternatively, mount that module in a little project box - load of those on ebay.  Used to be able to wander into a Maplin stop and buy them off the shelf.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instrument-Case-Electronic-Project-Box-Enclosure-Boxes-Waterproof-Cover-Project/323847122280

Cheers Nick - yes it's a pity about the demise of Maplins! Indeed the transformer is on the wall, the ciruit board must be simply a regulator. Will use your tips.

Matt

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1406 on: December 11, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »
@ntpntpntp could you please give a link to ebay for the reverse parallel diode, cant seem to find one?

Thanks muchly
Matt

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1407 on: December 11, 2019, 04:21:43 PM »
@ntpntpntp could you please give a link to ebay for the reverse parallel diode, cant seem to find one?

Thanks muchly
Matt

Sorry, didn't explain it well.  "reverse parallel" or "inverse parallel" refers to how it's wired with respect to the LED, ie. parallel to each other but in the opposite direction of flow.  It just needs to be a regular diode  :D

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/317815/led-indicators-for-hvac-24-vac

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1408 on: December 12, 2019, 09:52:02 AM »

Sorry, didn't explain it well.  "reverse parallel" or "inverse parallel" refers to how it's wired with respect to the LED, ie. parallel to each other but in the opposite direction of flow.  It just needs to be a regular diode  :D

Ahhhaaa ok now I understand, thanks Nick!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1409 on: December 12, 2019, 09:57:51 AM »
Some aspiring graffiti artists have been at work in the dead of night! :D

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00