!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Globibahn SBB Layout  (Read 55746 times)

Offline Globibahn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Living Room 1:160 DB Layout
« Reply #1380 on: December 08, 2019, 03:06:50 PM »
Crikey @swisstrains ! Yes I can see I'll need to do a regular biit of hoovering, so far I only do it after landscaping/drilling work etc.

I thought I would have another look at the brushes on the troublesome locos. Both sets were not flush flat at the end (one loco had a brush with a steep raked end and the other loco had both brushes with indentations in the ends. I've cautiously sanded these flat with ultra fine sandpaper.

I'm just running the locos to test. Is it easy to buy replacement brushes as I notice they are very soft and pressumably need swapping out from time to time?  :hmmm:

It is funny seeing the locos run without their body shells - make you realise what an illusion the whole lark is! I noticed the bogie pins do come astray without the housings on!

Ps. why on earth do mototrs need pencil carbon in them to run??? ??? :hmmm:

Online swisstrains

• My N Gauge Forum Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1381 on: December 08, 2019, 03:31:54 PM »
Crikey @swisstrains ! Yes I can see I'll need to do a regular biit of hoovering, so far I only do it after landscaping/drilling work etc.

I thought I would have another look at the brushes on the troublesome locos. Both sets were not flush flat at the end (one loco had a brush with a steep raked end and the other loco had both brushes with indentations in the ends. I've cautiously sanded these flat with ultra fine sandpaper.

I'm just running the locos to test. Is it easy to buy replacement brushes as I notice they are very soft and pressumably need swapping out from time to time?  :hmmm:

It is funny seeing the locos run without their body shells - make you realise what an illusion the whole lark is! I noticed the bogie pins do come astray without the housings on!

Ps. why on earth do mototrs need pencil carbon in them to run??? ??? :hmmm:

Don't forget Matt that the ends of the brushes will develop a concave indentation with use because they take on the shape of the commutator. This is normal and doesn't need correcting.
If you need spare brushes/springs your favourite South Coast model shop should stock them. I'm not 100% sure but I think most Fleischmann N Gauge (and some HO) locos use 6518 brushes.
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1382 on: December 08, 2019, 03:46:58 PM »

Don't forget Matt that the ends of the brushes will develop a concave indentation with use because they take on the shape of the commutator. This is normal and doesn't need correcting.

I've opened up a healthy loco @swisstrains  to have a look at the brushes. You're quite right they do indeed develop a concave shape at the end. But the brushes of the two troublesome locos were not this shape. One brush had a steep sloping end (like a coal scuttle) and the other pair had inward dimples.

Continuing to test locos, will report back...

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1383 on: December 08, 2019, 05:58:43 PM »
A severely sloping end to a brush usually implies it's not sitting correctly in the brush holder.  It's the sort of thing you see toward the end of life when the brush has worn down to the point of being pushed out of the end of the holder by the spring.

They're not made of "pencil lead"  :D  It is a similar sort of stuff though.  The brush needs to be something conductive but not so hard that it wears the commutator surface.  It's a sacrificial component which you're expected to replace when needed.    Compare with the "precious metal" brushes in the little coreless motors motors discussed on other threads here, which seem to wear out after a limited lifespan and render the motor useless.  I'd much rather have a good old fashioned motor I can service!

Brushes should last years though. I didn't think you'd had your locos long enough to have worn the brushes out!

When I service locos I sometimes reprofile the brushes to give then the slight concave end.

It's quite common for new brushes to have little circular indents in the end - don't worry about those.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:03:53 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Kφnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1384 on: December 08, 2019, 09:08:30 PM »
They're not made of "pencil lead"  :D  It is a similar sort of stuff though. 

Lol that's a pity - I could have used them as a backup for when my trusty HBs run out!

I think the BR101 has had quite a long service life prior to me aquiring it. The BR110 was new though - maybe on that one it was more repositioning or something rather than the actual end flattening?

Another postulation I've mused on - does the quality of electricity differ throughout the day/night? Might that explain why locos seem totally fine one minute and then not the next? And if so, would some DCC command centres more susceptible to this than others?

In other words, does it affect layouts across Britain when they stick a new control rod in or some such at a nuclear power station somewhere on the grid? :D

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1385 on: December 08, 2019, 09:17:39 PM »
…………………………………………………….

When I service locos I sometimes reprofile the brushes to give then the slight concave end.

………………………………………………..

That really is true dedication Nick. :angel:
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1386 on: December 09, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
I found another 2 car set of the DB TEN sleepers second hand, so I now have 4 in dark blue and one in burgundy!

So here's a shot just for you John, hope it brings back memories of your Euro travels!  :)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1387 on: December 09, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »
Really need to get some service personnel figures into my marshalling yard area!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 06:17:46 PM by Globibahn »

Online swisstrains

• Awards
« Reply #1388 on: December 09, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
I found another 2 car set of the DB TEN sleepers second hand, so I now have 4 in dark blue and one in burgundy!

So here's a shot just for you John, hope it brings back memories of your Euro travels!  :)

Absolutely great. Thanks Matt. :beers:
The last time I travelled on a TEN sleeper was in 1990 from Boulogne to Rome. :sleep:
John

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1389 on: December 10, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
The last time I travelled on a TEN sleeper was in 1990 from Boulogne to Rome. :sleep:

Glad you like the pic John. I really like seeing the sleeper train lit up under the mast lights, gives that real night-time feel!

Bet that was a great trip to Rome. I've got ideas about doing the CD Metropol form Prague to Budapest maybe come summer time.

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1390 on: December 10, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
On my 'troublesome twins' I've decided to tackle the wheel contacts again. This time I've bent the contacts out rather more etxtremely to make sure they are pushing like heck against the wheels.

I've learnt that it's easier to reassemble the bogies with contacts in position if you do it a certain way up, which is useful.

Before

After

By the way, did we have an agreed way of de-lurgiefying 2nd hand items? Was it baby wipes for coach bodies, or will that strip all the paint?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #1391 on: December 10, 2019, 12:52:58 PM »
Don't need to bend the contacts out too far, that looks a bit excessive!   When you're replacing the wheels, roll them into the axle slot rather than going straight down vertically. That way the wheels take up the contacts and draw them into place, and you don't usually need to use tweezers to guide the contacts back behind the wheels.

I use non-scented baby-wipes / wet wipes for cleaning up dusty/dirty bodyshells. I find they are gentle yet effective.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Kφnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #1392 on: December 10, 2019, 03:56:02 PM »

Hi,
Actually italian sleepers are still in Blue..
https://scalaenne.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/uic-x-cuccette.jpg
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1393 on: December 10, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
Actually italian sleepers are still in Blue..

Yes that's a good livery!  :thumbsup:

Offline Globibahn

• Awards
« Reply #1394 on: December 10, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »
Here's an interseting shot I found on line - believe it's Basel station. Is the sleeper car being used as makeshift lodgings for service personnel?

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £52.00
Below Goal: £48.00
Site Currency: GBP
52% 
June Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal